What Is A Cult?

prisonchaplain

Sociologically, "cult" implies group control, mind control, a religious insularity that is so intense, members are fearful or distrustful of "outsiders." Accusations of this type were lodged against the Unification Church (Moonies) in the 1970s.

Theologically, the term cult has come to be used against religious groups that claim a certain broad faith tradition, and yet have teachings that are incompatible with the faith--in the judgment of the "counter-cultists."

Another explanation:

A denominationalist will see a different church and say, "There are surely many good brothers and sisters in that church." A member of a sect will say, "There may be a small remnant of true believers in that church. A cultist will say that there are no faithful in it.

Quite frankly, the term has become so loaded, and has been used in so many different ways, that it has lost its value. A more useful discussion might come from the question: How wrong can you be and still be all right with God? :ph34r:

(??? was it John Bytheway - anyone know?)

I LOVE John Bytheway, he has such a great way of explaining things. Yes, I think it was him and he used that in several talks. Get an attitude and Things I wish I knew in High School (?)

A cultist will say that there are no faithful in it.

Hmmm. I've heard so many anti-mormons say that. Could it be that cult is a personal state of mind? sort of 'in the eyes of the beholder'?

Sociologically, "cult" implies group control, mind control, a religious insularity that is so intense, members are fearful or distrustful of "outsiders." Accusations of this type were lodged against the Unification Church (Moonies) in the 1970s.

I've read old lectures (early 1900's) and listened to tapes that refer to the cult of Christianity with absolutely no hostility or controversy intended. And according to what I've read in dictionaries, I have found both attitudes, (I didn't check to see when the sources were copywriten) One definition could have been describing any religion the other implied extreme, radical, and unreasonable. The later definitely sounded fearful. I've made it my personal policy to never make decisions based on fear. I do however, make them occasionally based on irritation :hmmm:

From www.dictionary.com...

definition of cult:

1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3. the object of such devotion.

4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

7. the members of such a religion or sect.

Well. Shoot. It does look really watered down.

Hmmm. I've heard so many anti-mormons say that [there is no one faithful in the COJCLDS]. Could it be that cult is a personal state of mind? sort of 'in the eyes of the beholder'?

Most "anti-mormons" are using some kind of doctrinal litmus test, and arguing that the COJCLDS institutional does not pass.

I've read old lectures (early 1900's) and listened to tapes that refer to the cult of Christianity with absolutely no hostility or controversy intended. And according to what I've read in dictionaries, I have found both attitudes, (I didn't check to see when the sources were copywriten) One definition could have been describing any religion the other implied extreme, radical, and unreasonable. The later definitely sounded fearful. I've made it my personal policy to never make decisions based on fear. I do however, make them occasionally based on irritation :hmmm:

Actually, there is a definition of cult that simply indicates a group.

It is because the word is used in so many different ways that it has become largely useless. Quite often it poisons rather than informs a conversation.

I'll have to dig to find a link for you, but there is a GREAT talk given by (??? was it John Bytheway - anyone know?) about this. He notes that you can classify people by the questions they ask the Lord:

- How bad can I be? (Salvation = fire insurance)

- How good do I have to be? (Salvation = boring, hard religious life for a good reward)

- How good can I be? (Salvation = embracing the life of Jesus)

Excellent. I'd argue that these classifications might indicate degrees of Christian maturity. :idea:

For about 20 years I have made a study of Anti-Mormon claim's a part time hobby. I doubt they are orthodox when compared to earlier Christianity. Universally grace & obedience as being essential to salvation from hell was taught.

I am Community of Christ/RLDS, but we get our anti-Restorationist critics. The counter-cult movement just does not impress me.

definition of cult:

1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

so according to that doesnt that make EVERY religion a cult?

PC - I didn't understand this;

QUOTE(Rosewood @ Feb 27 2007, 08:53 AM)

Hmmm. I've heard so many anti-mormons say that [there is no one faithful in the COJCLDS]. Could it be that cult is a personal state of mind? sort of 'in the eyes of the beholder'?

Most "anti-mormons" are using some kind of doctrinal litmus test, and arguing that the COJCLDS institutional does not pass.

Are you saying they don't think we're faithful? or that they think they have a good reason for what they believe?

I used to think the reason people got so easily worked up about the word cult was because it sounds so much like occult.

PC - I didn't understand this ...

Are you saying they don't think we're faithful? or that they think they have a good reason for what they believe?

They do not believe you are faithful to Christian teaching, as they understand it.

I used to think the reason people got so easily worked up about the word cult was because it sounds so much like occult.

Most "anti-Mormons" use they term synonymously with "heterodox" "heretical" or "unorthodox."

<div class='quotemain'>

definition of cult:

so according to that doesnt that make EVERY religion a cult?

yes dancer by the dictionary definition every religion is a cult

Theologically, the term cult has come to be used against religious groups that claim a certain broad faith tradition, and yet have teachings that are incompatible with the faith--in the judgment of the "counter-cultists."

Another explanation:

A denominationalist will see a different church and say, "There are surely many good brothers and sisters in that church." A member of a sect will say, "There may be a small remnant of true believers in that church. A cultist will say that there are no faithful in it.

Quite frankly, the term has become so loaded, and has been used in so many different ways, that it has lost its value. A more useful discussion might come from the question: How wrong can you be and still be all right with God? :ph34r:

My definition of a cult is a organization that is as much or more concerned with what is wrong with other organizations (not individual persons) than they are with what is right with their own.

The Traveler