Monument Park 19th. I think.

Alright. Well. I guess this is my 1st official post on this site. I'm like 33 years old, single, getting old, pathetic, etc. So I joined a singles ward in Salt Lake City for old folks like myself. I've noticed some problems...

First off, nobody seems to be dating anyone. ??? I'm not sure... but I'll share what I "think" is going on. The guys all assume that since the women are in their 30's-40's they've already decided they don't need a man in their life. Therefore, your chances of rejection or simply offending them by your presence dramatically increase. Nobody likes rejection.

I'm not sure if this is common practice at the old folks ward, but last night I was at some activity, I asked a simple question to some random girl, and she gave me the snootiest answer. I was kinda' like "......." and walked out the door and went home. (the question was simply about some of the food she was helping to serve at the FHE)

I rarely see anyone talk to anyone they don't know. And when *gasp* that actually happens, the women seem to take it as a sign of weirdness. I'm wondering if the women (maybe some of the guys too) aren't waiting for that PERFECT person to come along. Until they view the pinnacle of utter perfection standing before them... not talking I guess either, they shrug off every lesser being.

I'm kind of new to the ward still. I'll see how things go. But I've NO JOKE, heard people say they've been in this ward for FIVE YEARS and they're still single. Something is not right here. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is some major social dysfunction.

-Brian

I recently had a probably unfair epiphany about singles in the Church, namely the men: They reach a certain age, invest in some fancy new-fangled electronic device... and that becomes their relationship. Too much is going on in life, and yes, I think you may be onto something. People may become complacent and involved in their lives and marriage might slip to the back burner. Unconciously. Unless you're interesting enough to provide a distraction, you will be ignored.

You can't be the only person who has observed how dysfunctional the Ward is. They probably all know it but are too scared to acknowledge it. I say you speak up and shake things up. Call people out on their bull, and ask women out on dates. Be the change that Ward needs! Having to go to Church with a bunch of people who are cynical and snooty is going to be a huge drag and it's obviously something you don't want, so don't let it be that way. Help those people lighten up!!! Being "old" and single doesn't have to suck and it definitely shouldn't be a cause of judgement from the rest of the Mormon world. It's the members that think being old and single is wrong that need the slap in the face.

Well fortunately they called me to be on the ward activities committee. I'm not sure how much of my ideas they'll be willing to accept, but I'm going to put some options on the table that may help people actually get to know each other. Gosh, all the activities do is give the same 4 people an excuse to show up and hang out with each other for an hour the same as last time and the time before and...

I think singles wards are the only ones who have activities committees anymore. My cousin is the chairman in her singles branch.

Might I suggest a speed dating activity? ;) Tell them there will be food, and they will come.

Their are still activities committees in singles wards, but they did remove them in family wards.

And I agree, many of the singles I've met even starting around age 28 or 29 on up, tend to get a little stand offish and cynical about actual dating. But I think it is partly to protect themselves (you can only go through not being asked out or being rejected for so long before it starts to eat at you, or they have some unrealistic ideas like the perfect person is just going to come along without any effort on their part.