Forbidden

Franken

You guys, my Dad forbade me to ever go to the site FictionPress ever again. The site is basically a place where you can write poetry or fiction and people can read it and review. Writing is a huge part of my life and without it, it is going to make my life oh so much more boring. How can I improve my writing skills if I can't get it criticed?

The reason he said that he won't let me go there is because there is bug that seems to get our computer every time (for some reason it doesn't happen to any of my friends) and changes the home page of our internet. Sure this is a nuicance and all, but we have Ad-Aware to get rid of those files and I've been able to get rid of them every time. It's the same bug, and it really presents no problem, my dad just can't seem to handle it. I really want to be able to go back, but I don't know how to convince my dad. Have you guys got any advice?

If you do happen to go to FictionPress, please check out my work and review if you want to. My Penname is Franken.

Guest curvette

I agree. I also forbid my kids to go to websites that wreak havoc on my system. I'm sure there are other sites you can have your work critiqued on or else use another computer to submit your work.

Yeah, I might have to use other computers. I guess I really shouldn't be complaining considering all the other people in this world. I mean, if you think of all the 3rd world countries, they barely have enough food to live on, they wouldn't know what to do with a computer. I suppose I'll live on, I'll just have to forget about it.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Franken@Mar 19 2004, 06:26 PM

Yeah, I might have to use other computers. I guess I really shouldn't be complaining considering all the other people in this world. I mean, if you think of all the 3rd world countries, they barely have enough food to live on, they wouldn't know what to do with a computer. I suppose I'll live on, I'll just have to forget about it.

Don't forget about your work! If it's what you love, continue writing! If you are creative enough to write, you are creative enough to figure out how to have your work reviewed without the use of one particular website!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

You might try writing.com which is one that I used before. As with any web 2.0 site, you have to be careful with which posts you read, but it's a very well-organized site. Otherwise, I would say steer clear of that site and any site that installs stuff on your computer without you knowing it or approving it. Those bugs are notorious for popping up bad images without you even clicking on anything.

And if you're using IE, that's your first mistake.

No, that's his second mistake. The first mistake is using a Windows-based system to access the Internet, instead of using either MacOS X or some variant on Linux or Unix.

Edited by Bob_Blaylock
No spyware/adware/malware here!