I just thought you all needed to be aware

jerome1232

Jason Newsted formerly of Metallica has formed his own band, fittingly called Newsted.

I know that, like me, all of you here enjoy Thrash Metal, and I didn't want you to go unaware of this new (more new mixed with old?) sound as I was. With no further ado, here it is.

In case you, by chance, do not enjoy bleeding eardrums, well here's some piano guys instead. I know, there's only one piano guy, and a violin girl, and a cello guy, but hey, she's just visiting and I'm sure cello guy can play piano.

Metallica ceased to be Metallica when he left. Much like Van Halen became something else when Sammy Hagar joined to replace DLR.

I started to feel the same way until I listened to Dream Theater, still my favorite band.

They started out with

John Myung-Bass

John Petrucci-Guitar

Mike Portnoy-Drums

Kevin Moore-Keyboard

Chris Collins-Vocals

But Chris didn't quite work out so Charlie Dominici became the vocalist for one album. Then it was determined he wasn't what they were looking for so they fired him also, and hired Kevin James LaBrie (who goes by James Labrie) as the vocalist.

Having settled out the singer issue, they kept that lineup for two albums when Kevin Moore abruptly left the band after finishing their Awake album, but before they toured it. So they had to fill that spot.

Derek Sherinian started as the hired gun to fill they keyboard spot during the tour, then became permanent for the next two albums, after which they found a new keyboardist in Jordan Rudess that they have kept since then.

The latest change is when Mike Portnoy decided to leave the band, to be replaced by Mike Mangini as the current drummer.

So the lineup started as above, but let me chart the changes here just to be clear...

John Myung-------------------------------------->

John Petrucci------------------------------------->

Mike Portnoy----------------------Mike Mangini

Kevin Moore--Derek Sherinian--Jordan Rudess

Chris Collins--Charlie Dominici--James LaBrie

Despite all that, their sound has changed only over time gradually. Each artist left their mark, to be sure, and the 'purists' abound that any change in linup changes the band, but hey...I think they still sound great....:D

Nope. Their sound morphed again when Jason left the band. I don't care for their music since that time. I wached Newsted's video and it was only average music.

I think you're just mad about that snare. :D

I also agree that the bassist didn't have a huge impact on the band, they just did something new with St. Anger (about when Newsted left) and their core fanbase didn't like it.

I rather liked Newsted - King of the Underdogs. I at least, look forward to a full album release by them.

I like it when bands change it up, listening to the same old thing every album get's old. For example, I don't even recognize Linkin Park anymore.

I like it when bands change it up, listening to the same old thing every album get's old. For example, I don't even recognize Linkin Park anymore.

Agreed, but I don't like it. I think it's tragic. They went from being a truly great, even revolutionary, band to being just another bush on the landscape.