Left & Right Hand

mikbone

Matthew 20

20 Then came to him the mother of Zebedee’s children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.

21 And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.

22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.

23 And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

These verses make me wonder.

Zebedee's wife (James and John's Mother) wants her boys to sit at Christ's right and left hand in his kingdom.

1) Does she realize what she is asking?

2) What does she want? What does she think is on the right and left hand of Christ?

3) What does Christ think she is asking for, right and left hand positions?

4) What is the drink that Christ refers to in verse 22?

5) What is the baptism that Christ refers to in verse 22?

6) Are James and John confused as well? Or do they understand the request?

7) What are the drink and baptism that Christ refers to in verse 23, are they the same drink and baptism that He refers to in verse 22?

Edited by mikbone

Well for what it’s worth I will give it a shot.

To me a mother who loves her sons is requesting that when Christ establishes his kingdom her sons will sit on either side (I don’t think left and right is significant) in positions of prominence and perhaps ensuring that they are saved and exalted.

The Saviors first response in vs 22 is pointing out the enormous sacrifice that would be required. The drink he refers to is the suffering he endured in Gethsemane the bitter cup. Perhaps he is questioning their resolve knowing what lay before him and not having yet made the sacrifice, perhaps the mother like many Jews did not understand what kind of kingdom he was building.

Because he had not yet completed his work securing a position on his right and left side would require them to go thru the same suffering he would endure.

In vs 23 it could be taken that he is prophesying that they would indeed suffer, (James was the first to be martyred and though John was not he was boiled in oil) but I find it more likely that the savior is looking forward to after his resurrection and the drink and baptism he refers to are the sacrament and baptism by immersion because certainly no man suffered more than the savior did or will have too.

Either way they both certainly endured and knowing who James and John are their mother certainly had to be a choice woman to be blessed with such sons.

So to sum it up, I feel that the drink and baptism are the suffering that he had yet to endure and then in the next verse he is looking to the future (post Atonement) and letting them know that they will partake of the sacrament and be baptized.

To me a mother who loves her sons is requesting that when Christ establishes his kingdom her sons will sit on either side (I don’t think left and right is significant) in positions of prominence and perhaps ensuring that they are saved and exalted.

I am unsure. Left and Right could mean so many things

1) Mark 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

It could mean that When Christ Reigns in heaven as the father that one of Zebedee's sons will serve in a position like the savior and the other as the Holy Ghost???

2) Matthew 25:33, Sheep on the right and goats on the left. I don't think that this was what she was implying

3) More likely, She was looking at the Earthly leaders and hoping that Jesus would become the earthly King of the Jews and that her sons would become his 1st and 2nd councilors.

The Saviors first response in vs 22 is pointing out the enormous sacrifice that would be required. The drink he refers to is the suffering he endured in Gethsemane the bitter cup. Perhaps he is questioning their resolve knowing what lay before him and not having yet made the sacrifice, perhaps the mother like many Jews did not understand what kind of kingdom he was building.

Because he had not yet completed his work securing a position on his right and left side would require them to go thru the same suffering he would endure.

I agree with you here. I think that Christ's atonement was on His mind during much of His ministry. And Christ asked James and John a question that He knew that they could not understand. It seems to me that Christ did this kind of thing often...

In vs 23 it could be taken that he is prophesying that they would indeed suffer, (James was the first to be martyred and though John was not he was boiled in oil) but I find it more likely that the savior is looking forward to after his resurrection and the drink and baptism he refers to are the sacrament and baptism by immersion because certainly no man suffered more than the savior did or will have too.

So to sum it up, I feel that the drink and baptism are the suffering that he had yet to endure and then in the next verse he is looking to the future (post Atonement) and letting them know that they will partake of the sacrament and be baptized.

I like your idea of the martyrdom of James and John I had not thought about that.

Were the 12 apostles already baptized? Im not sure... Sounds like a hole in my knowledge base. (John 3:22-23)??

I'm not sure but I think that the drink and baptism that Christ is referring to is something that will take place after this mortal life.

And that those 2 events are what may qualify men to sit at the Right hand of Christ. It is interesting that this position of honor can only be granted by Elohim...

Edited by mikbone

Yes. However, did she assume the Lord would grant it without any work on her and her sons parts? She may have, which is why she received the rebuttal, "You know not what ye ask."

I see his question as a reminder that, although I am God, and through me people will receive exaltation, they must remember we receive the grace of God after all we can do -- are you prepared?

2) What does she want? What does she think is on the right and left hand of Christ?

I assume she merely wanted to know that her children, her beloved sons, would dwell with God. As a Father I want the same for my children...to know that they are to dwell with God.

I am reminded of the scriptures here which specify we are to endure our own cross. Are your children, James and John, able to endure their cross? Are they prepared to suffer, as I am going to suffer, humiliation, death, tortue, etc... We all will endure our individual test, our fiery furnace.

My heart leans toward honoring our baptismal covenant which they also have received. Will they honor, or will they forsake their baptismal covenant to keep the commandments of God?

I would assume they would have been asking the same questions you are now.

7) What are the drink and baptism that Christ refers to in verse 23, are they the same drink and baptism that He refers to in verse 23?

The bitter cup we all endure, just not to the extent the Savior experienced, although the cup is still bitter. I would believe they are one in the same.

Matthew 20

These verses make me wonder.

Zebedee's wife (James and John's Mother) wants her boys to sit at Christ's right and left hand in his kingdom.

3) What does Christ think she is asking for, right and left hand positions?

7) What are the drink and baptism that Christ refers to in verse 23, are they the same drink and baptism that He refers to in verse 22?

Consider the example of Joseph wanting to decide for his father, Jacob where to place his right and left hand over Ephraim and Manasseh's head in the final blessing. Joseph thought it should be Manasseh, who was the eldest to have the right handed blessing but it was not to be because it was not up to Joseph to decide but his father (through the power of God). This is similar to Christ not deciding but His Father. The right hand is more useful, metaphorically speaking, than the left.

Genesis 48; " 18 And Joseph said unto his father, Not so, my father: for this is the firstborn; put thy right hand upon his head.

19 And his father refused, and said, I know it, my son, I know it: he also shall become a people, and he also shall be great: but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his seed shall become a multitude of nations.

20 And he blessed them that day, saying, In thee shall Israel bless, saying, God make thee as Ephraim and as Manasseh: and he set Ephraim before Manasseh."

I will give this a shot. Adding to what has already been said.

Matthew 20

20 Then came to him the mother of Zebedee’s children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.

21 And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.

22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.

23 And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

What does it mean to be on his right hand? As already stated it means to be accepted of christ. It means to be joint heirs with Christ.

What does it mean to be on his left hand?

Mosiah 5:10 And now it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall not take upon him the name of Christ must be called by some other name; therefore, he findeth himself on the left hand of God.

Commentary of the book of mormon on Mosiah 5:10 tells us the symbolism behind it. Left hand of God symbolism

Further.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks explained: “Our willingness to take upon us the name of Jesus Christ affirms our commitment to do all that we can to be counted among those whom he will choose to stand at his right hand and be called by his name at the last day. In this sacred sense, our witness that we are willing to take upon us the name of Jesus Christ constitutes our declaration of candidacy for exaltation in the celestial kingdom. Exaltation is eternal life, ‘the greatest of all the gifts of God’ (D&C 14:7)” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1985, 105; or Ensign, May 1985, 83).

Now we understand the phrase. "Ye know not what ye ask for". Christ was saying, no-one would ask to be at my left hand. I think there is another quote that states angels are also on the left hand. Those who have not received a body?

What is it saying when... to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?

I am not completely sure but perhaps its not just baptism by water. Joseph Smith states, that is not a complete baptism. One has to be baptized by fire after to receive the full baptism. But what is that symbolic of (physically it means receive the HG), spiritually it means to have a change of heart, a remission of your sins, speak with the tongue of angels, and the ministry of angels. One does not have the HG until worthy thus they must have a change of heart and constantly seek justification through the HG.

What cup? We have water cups which are actually wine symbolically. Why? "Jesus has suffered the wine press alone". Well we still must suffer as stated above.

The most important thing he is teaching is this.

but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

What? Isn't he the judge of all? Doesn't he present us to the Father? Isn't he the adopted father of us all?

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

We learn from the new testament that no man is perfect except God. "Therefore be ye therefore perfect even as your father in heaven is perfect",

Than he says after his resurrection, "touch me not, I have not yet ascended unto the father". He doesn't have a body yet, he isn't perfect yet.

Than in 3 Nephi 11, "Therefore be ye perfect even as your father in heave, yea even as I" (paraphrasing).

The father responsibility is to do the perfection of all of us. It was at this time he received his resurrected body (by God) thus becoming perfect. Christs responsibility is to sanctify us and present us to the Father. So I assume, he is referring to this. If I accept you I will present you to the Father and he will decide what you are worthy of? No man can go into the celestial kingdom except he be presented to the Father and is found worthy by Christ to be presented to him. Else they are terrestrial beings. Those who are blessed with the presence of the Son but not that of the Father.

But I am confused on why the word "whom" is used. Not sure what is being referred to here.

Or an entirely different option is this. If we are on Christs left hand we would be greater than Christ because we would be on God's right hand, therefore if we want that it is up to the Father to give. Yet only Christ will be on the right hand of God. We will be joint heirs under Christ yet inheriting all that Christ has but will not be greater than Christ.

Hope that helps.

Edited by ElectofGod