God's Covenant Always Includes Actual Land?

MaidservantX

I noticed that every time God dispenses a covenant throughout the ages, it also includes promise or deed to actual land.

This begins with Adam, the planet was deeded to him in stewardship.

Enoch had a city.

Noah was given the earth.

Abraham was promised Canaan -- which covenant by the way is still doing its darndest to operate. In fact, if you read carefully, Abraham was promised the whole earth (again, in type of Adam's endowment).

Then, of course, we have Moses' promised land, and we have the twelve tribes of Israel deeds (also tying back in to Abraham's covenant).

Even pre-Restoration faith and religiousity of pilgrims, calvanists, puritans, etc. had a divine sense of their ownership of land and the productivity and wealth from it.

The dispensation of the covenant in the latter-days (beginning with Joseph Smith), also we have lots of history and doctrine related to deeds and stewardship of land. Also, we have the colonization of the entire west arising from this covenant sense.

This continues with the idea of a literal Zion coming (we attach it to actual tracts in Missouri).

And finally, wonderfully, the culmination, the lds have the doctrine of the celestialization of this earth at the completion of it's mortal purpose, and we expect to actually live here in our resurrected condition.

The dispensation that is missing from this is actually when Christ was on the earth, I'm not recalling any land based doctrine -- maybe someone could remind me? Also, not as much with the stories in the Book of Mormon, although even there you have Nephi's promised land and the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's being gifted with the land of Jershon (?).

Now, here is this, what I mean to say. This sense of land is NOT about ownership and wealth. Though also true, however, ownership and wealth is a result that does not need to be pursued, since it will occur automatically when the true purpose is realized. This is seen most easily in a celestialized earth. Yes we will 'own' it and there will be 'wealth', but is this really why we have a desire for a celestial earth? Of course not. Ownership and wealth is trivial in comparison to the sacred purpose. Which is:

Why does God want land? Why is land, including entire planets, part of his plan and covenant? Is it merely a metaphor that describes our spiritual inheritance? I disagree with this. I could say several reasons why, but let us just say that it relates to the concept of why our body is, rather than being shed in order to become more glorious and exalted, is rather going to be fused to our spirit permanently (resurrection) in order to experience glory and heaven. So, assuming for purposes of this post that is NOT merely a metaphor divorced from reality/ physicality, then what is God's intent and result of his intent?

It is literally and actually to spread his kingdom. Again, NOT an ownership and wealth kingdom per say. But the same kingdom we always praise, the kingdom of godliness. The main implication of this is -- if Israel has its land (and were to have had actually kept the commandments, which they most often did not); if Zion begins to be built in Missouri; if (a portion of) the celestial kingdom is placed on this earth, then what has happened?

Satan has been bound. He has been cast out. He has been sealed away. He cannot enter. He is not to be found. He can never return. It's just not his place, his space, his matter, any more. It's God's space. And of course, we will have peace, liberty, love, etc etc in a land belonging to God and barred to the Adversary.

By the way, THERE is your 'war in heaven'. Which is interesting, because godliness cannot be produced from contention. Although 'war' is one of those words that is semantically overloaded and challenged. I do know that we have to defend and stand. But the 'war' is actually in the heart. If we can be victorious there, then the parameters of any war external to our soul will be clear to us, and I think it is made up of mercy and justice but not hatred.

When the saints arrived in Utah and commenced the work of settling there it was not the first time to build a Zion city for many of them. The growth of the Church was well underway and many had faith that the Church would continue to grow exponentially.

Also as experienced was the Church leadership especially Brigham Young. To great lengths they went in keeping the tracts of land divided well. They wanted no particular persons to accumulate any large part of the city.

Real estate speculation was the issue. It would seem a no-brainer that it would appreciate when in the middle of a settlement to which thousands were surely to pour in. 'Faith' in the LORD's progress and in the growth of his Kingdom seemed to insure this value.

The Brethren didn't want anyone fortunate enough to come into the valley early to sell or rent property at a premium as more and more converts came in. Such a greedy line of thinking had been previously manifested in other settlements.

It is greed that has stood as the reason that the LORD has been able to bless mankind with Zion so seldom. To stand in Zion is to be of one heart and one mind. Indeed we are aware of the law of consecration. Too many men are too unwilling to impart of their substance, but would rather profit from the growth of the LORD's Kingdom than profit the Kingdom.

-a-train

I am impressed xhenli that you have noticed one of the basic elements in covenants. I would point out that all covenants with G-d have their origin in heaven which is a type and shadow to covenants on earth which is a gain a type and shadow of eternity.

The three basic blessings in regards to covenant are :

1. A promised land – place with in the Celestial kingdom

2. Protection from enemies – overcome death and sin

3. Enduring posterity – Eternal or Everlasting life

In essence to covenant we promise to love G-d with all our heart, might, mind and strength and love our neighbor (fellow man) as ourselves. The promise to love G-d includes covenants of sacrifice for G-d’s will and service to our fellow man.

When some complain (murmur) concerning things they may be asked (like no tattoos or extra piercing and other things) demanding explanations and reasons – I am concerned that they do not understand their covenant and may not be aware of the price of their pride.

The Traveler

On light of Travelers words our body will also be inherited after death from the promises of God. Though its promised to all who have dewlt upon this earth the concept is the same. There is something about the physical aspect of a covenent, from land, to body, to eventually the ultimate controll of the physical with he power to controll it.