Confess to my seminary teacher?

Jimmeh

I was wondering if it is possible to confess to a seminary teacher instead of a bishop. I really don't feel comfortable with my bishop and I need to confess several different things. Would it be possible to confess to my seminary teacher, who I feel comfortable talking with instead?

Your seminary teacher would (should) refer you to speak with your Bishop, who is the local judge in Israel with stewardship in these areas.

That doesn't mean that you can't TALK to your seminary teacher. I'm sure your teacher will listen and give you advice.

You can't 'confess' to your seminary teacher. That is reserved for the person who has been called for that responsibility - your Bishop.

I concur. There's certainly no harm in telling your seminary teacher what's on your mind, and talking about the situation with someone is a step in the right direction. But your seminary teacher lacks the right to receive revelation from the Lord as to how you, specifically and in your particular circumstances, need to get your life in order. That prerogative--and the authority to pronounce you clean when the repentance process is done--is reserved to the bishop.

Here are some quotes from a Latter-day prophet that are relevant.

Seminary teachers, institute directors and auxiliary and other Church workers can wield a powerful influence on people in distress by imparting wise counsel and sympathetic understanding, but they are without ecclesiastical authority and jurisdiction and will not attempt to waive penalties but will send the sinner to his bishop who should determine the degree of public confession and discipline that is necessary.(President Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness)

Many offenders in their shame and pride have satisfied their consciences, temporarily at least, with a few silent prayers to the Lord and rationalized that this was sufficient confession of their sins. "But I have confessed my sin to my Heavenly Father," they will insist, "and that is all that is necessary." This is not true where a major sin is involved. Then two sets of forgiveness are required to bring peace to the transgressor one from the proper authorities of the Lord's Church, and one front the Lord himself.(President Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness)

It follows that the ideal confession is voluntary, not forced. It is induced from within the offender's soul, not sparked by being found out in the sin. Such confession, like the voluntary humility of which Alma spoke (Al. 32:13-16), is a sign of growing repentance. It indicates the sinner's conviction of sin and his desire to abandon the evil practices. The voluntary confession is infinitely more acceptable in the sight of the Lord than is forced admission, lacking humility, wrung from an individual by questioning when guilt is evident. Such forced admission is not evidence of the humble heart which calls forth the Lord's mercy: "... For I, the Lord, forgive sins, and am merciful unto those who confess their sins with humble hearts." (D&C 61:2. Italics added.)

The wicked Cain denied his guilt when first accused. He never did confess his grievous sin, but finally admitted it after he was discovered. Even when he was confronted with his dastardly act he still tried to evade it by saying, "Am I my brother's keeper?"

Years ago, a missionary in South America wrote a long letter of confession. He had broken the law of chastity. No one but the young girl and himself knew of the transgression, but he had promptly gone to his mission president and confessed it in total.

This missionary had been a member of the Church but a few months, and his many years of adulthood while "of the world" had produced a weakness hard to overcome. He quoted, "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." He did not excuse himself, nor claim any special immunities, nor rely on extenuating circumstances. He said: "I knew I had to pay the full penalty, I knew that in life or death I had to answer for the sin. I wanted to get it over with and be on my way to eventual forgiveness. I would rather confess, take my punishment, and get back as soon as possible on the road to forgiveness, and I did not want my eternity cluttered with these blemishes."

He was excommunicated from the Church. After what seemed an eternity to him, through his faithfulness and repentance he was baptized and finally his priesthood and temple blessings were restored to him. He found peace through complete repentance of which his total, voluntary confession was a vital part.

Unfortunately, many have to be brought to the involuntary or forced admission of sin. This comes when circumstances and information point to the guilt of the person who is seeking to hide his sin. It often precedes his final admission, and has led through the path of lies, then excuses after his lies have collapsed. This course heaps further sins upon him.

One young man came to me to be interviewed for a mission. He admitted nothing wrong except what he called a "little" masturbation. I had him come again. In the meantime, his conscience had pricked "a little." The next week he admitted he had done a "little" petting, nothing more. In subsequent visits he admitted one error after another, until finally he had admitted fornication.

Even making the admission upon confrontation is better than continuing to lie and evade the truth. In fact, many of those forced sooner or later to admit their sins do come to a full, sincere repentance and a humble desire to receive forgiveness. This again involves the same steps to repentance, with conviction, abandonment of sins, and confession, as fundamental to the process.(President Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness)

I'm going to say this and some may not agree with me. While seminary teachers are great ones to talk to...they also don't have to hold to the same confidentiality that Bishops have to in most cases.

If the situation is weighing you down spiritually then you should definitely talk to someone about it. As has been mentioned before your Bishop has the keys to help you from the road of transgressor if the sins has been that serious. Sometimes talking to someone else can be a good first step if you feel you cant go directly to the Bishop. I remember when i first joined the church i went a spoke to one of bishops counsellors about a specific problem as i felt more comfortable talking to him at the time than i did the Bishop. However you start the journey is up to you, but the road to repentance will see you eventually opening the Bishops door.

I don't know why you feel uncomfortable going to your Bishop. That, in and of itself, is something to consider confessing to him. However, I also understand that can be easier said than done. For example, children of the Bishop often struggle with trusting exactly where the line between a Judge in Israel and the guy who grounds me for not doing the dishes lands. In such cases, it could be appropriate to make an appointment with the Stake President instead. He still falls within the line of ecclesiastical authority and can also help you appreciate the Bishop better.

As just about everyone has reiterated here, your Bishop is the one who holds the keys. Talking to him is the best way to start the repentance process. While talking to your Seminary Teacher is fine as well, he can't grant forgiveness. My guess is that he would encourage you to speak with your Bishop as well.

Although speaking with a Bishop about certain things can be nerve-wracking or scary, just know that he's there to help you. The matters that you and him discuss are confidential and he cannot share them with anyone else.

While talking to your Seminary Teacher is fine as well, he can't grant forgiveness.

On a technical note, Bishops cannot grant forgiveness either. What they do is determine your status with the church. (can you take sacrament, hold callings, etc...) Reading between the lines in Miracle of Forgiveness, I think the prophet can grant forgiveness but, I presume that has more to do with his right to hear it from the Lord directly. Ultimately, only the Lord can grant forgiveness through His grace.

I had a Seminary teacher that took special interest in me and my GF in highschool. All three of us were pretty good friends IMO. My Bishop was fairly new and I didnt feel comfortable talking to him. I mean, would he tell my parents? Would he think less of me? I had something that I wanted to talk about and get direction, but was terrified in talking to my bishop.

So I went to my seminary teacher and let him know what was on my mind. He let me know before I even began that he would listen as a friend but that he had no authority. For myself, it was a stepping stone to doing the right thing and talking to my bishop. I felt bad to put him in that position, but was glad that he, as a friend, was willing to listen and guide me to my Bishop.

I talked to my Bishop that same week and he was very understanding. I left feeling like there was hope afterall.

I was wondering if it is possible to confess to a seminary teacher instead of a bishop. I really don't feel comfortable with my bishop and I need to confess several different things. Would it be possible to confess to my seminary teacher, who I feel comfortable talking with instead?

Have you confessed to the Lord? He already knows your weaknesses, sins and how to heal you. The Bishop is there to guide you along as it his stewardship to hear you, but only the Lord will forgive you.

On a technical note, Bishops cannot grant forgiveness either. What they do is determine your status with the church. (can you take sacrament, hold callings, etc...) Reading between the lines in Miracle of Forgiveness, I think the prophet can grant forgiveness but, I presume that has more to do with his right to hear it from the Lord directly. Ultimately, only the Lord can grant forgiveness through His grace.

If you stole from your boss it would be your boss who would determine whether or not they will fire you or forgive you and allow you to continue to work at your place of employment. Likewise a Bishop and other church authorities determine whether or not there will be punishment for the sin in relation to the church. In this sense, such individuals can grant forgiveness on behalf of Church in relation to their Church standing and membership.

The Priesthood is the authority and power to act in God's name for the welfare and salvation of his children. Any man holding the Priesthood can with authority and power declare the sins of one they have stewardship over forgiven if such is done in harmony with the will of the Lord. In essence it is still the Lord doing the remitting but when he chooses to do so he can still use and act through a worthy agent to do so and to convey it to the repentant sinner.

Not exactly on topic with the OP but I thought it would be good clarification to add nonetheless.

Sincerely,

Brother M.