Missionary murdered in Veracruz, Mexico

Swiper

It's a sad story. Personally I'm glad the church hasn't publicized this or made this widely known. Out of respect for the privacy of the family and to keep it from being sensationalized by the media and by our critics.

I think a prudent way of reporting this would be to report that it happened, in a fairly anonymous way, a month after the funeral or the family has begun to heal.

I have personally heard a few shocking things that have happened in the mission field that were not rumour and were confirmed by people I know that served there or had family go through it. In one case I know of, it seems like some leaders in the church repressed, but also dismissed any need for legal recourse.

It is prudent to understand the legal and social circumstances of the area to which the crime occurred in, however, evidence also seems to suggest that even with the family being considered priority, some events seem to be dismissed as face saving, or rationalized as within the best interests of the church.

Young people and their family would have second thoughts of serving, if they were totally aware of the dangers. That being said, the church does monitor the general safety of the missionaries, even with an interest in maintaining public opinion.

I've read this thread and I'm feeling concerned about what has happened to the missionary. To be honest, if I had children who wanted to become missionaries in a foreign country, I would never allow them to be sent to countries like Mexico. There is a friend of mine whose mother has being killed some years ago when she was on a holiday trip in Brasil. She was shot down by a murderer and robber. It took a long time before her dead body finally was transferred to Germany / Schleswig-Holstein and buried. No, leave me alone with all that. They are not worth it. No one can guarantee for the security of a missionary in one of those countries. If you want to get into danger, go to Los Angeles. There's certainly enough to do for a missionary and his chances to survive are extraordinary higher than in Mexico, even if the air in Los Angeles is containing more lead (in form of bullets) than all water pipes in New York City.

If there was a place that I would want my children to go to it would be Mexico. Not that I have any that will be going on a mission. There is danger no matter where one serves. But I have worked with humanitarian aid in Mexico. The people in Mexico are so appreciative and so loving. I have great love for the people in Mexico.

If there was a place that I would want my children to go to it would be Mexico. Not that I have any that will be going on a mission. There is danger no matter where one serves. But I have worked with humanitarian aid in Mexico. The people in Mexico are so appreciative and so loving. I have great love for the people in Mexico.

And what about the people in Lost Angeles? :lol:

PS... I have a brother who lives there somewhere in LA, in a suburb, as far as I remember his last address, but as we haven't been in contact for about ten years now I'm not sure if he still is even alive. Think there would be more than enough work for missionaries to do. Okay, but it's the United States, and perhaps it seems to be all right all there from your points of view. But we see it in different views from our position of the big pond.

PS... I have a brother who lives there somewhere in LA, in a suburb, as far as I remember his last address, but as we haven't been in contact for about ten years now I'm not sure if he still is even alive.

It appears there is more of an issue there than missionaries being sent to Los Angeles.

send some up to Canada, I've only ever had 1 pair of Missionaries to my door in all my life-a lot more Jehovah's Witnesses, and there are less of them

But they are more effective! There is one joke told here in Germany and I'm trying to translate: The bell on the housedoor is ringing. The elder housewife is not so fast and cannot come to the housedoor to see who is there so quickly. It's ringing again. And one more time. Then a devastating crash is heard and the door breakes into its fragments by a strong hit against it. A friendly young man is entering and the old Lady screems: "Who are you? See what you have done, my door..." The young man answers: "Good morning, Madam. My name is Peter Schmidt from Jehova's Witnesses, 5th Dan Karate. ... lol...lol...lol

Edited by JimmiGerman

It appears there is more of an issue there than missionaries being sent to Los Angeles.

Maybe. But Canada is so large and in many places French spoken. First learn French, than go to Canada. :P (That's what Charles de Gaulle once certainly would have advised) :lol:

O Canada, terre de nos aieux...

Edited by JimmiGerman

But I nearly forgot this thread is not the right place for making jokes. The topic and the things happened are too serious. A young man obviously has been murdered on his mission. Sometimes it might be helpful to change into humor simply to become deeply aware of a very serious manner and a terrible occurence.

And what about the people in Lost Angeles? :lol:

PS... I have a brother who lives there somewhere in LA, in a suburb, as far as I remember his last address, but as we haven't been in contact for about ten years now I'm not sure if he still is even alive. Think there would be more than enough work for missionaries to do. Okay, but it's the United States, and perhaps it seems to be all right all there from your points of view. But we see it in different views from our position of the big pond.

Our duty is to spread the gospel to ALL of the world. We go wherever Heavenly Father calls us to go.

Death can happen anywhere One can die unexpectedly in the comfort of one's own bed. One can be murdered in the "safety" of one's own home.

Danger can lurk anywhere, any time. My people were not safe in your country in the 40s. Not eve within their own homes.

We can be prudent and take precautions without letting fear rule us.

We go where Heavenly Father sends us,