Things needed for 1st House...

SoaringEagle

I am on the verge of purchasing my 1st home. It is overwhelming to know the number of things I will need. Not that it matters too much, but I am 30 years old and a single sister who divorced before converting to the LDS church. I only say this because I had to leave behind a number of items and things that I bought prior to or during my marriage. For the past two years I have been paying down my ex's debt I was left with and rebuilding myself.

I need your thoughts on things most needed for a 1st home. I already have the following on my list:

Fire Extinguisher

Changing out the outlets to GFCIs

Smoke Detectors (house does not have any currently)

Vacuum

Lawn Mower

Tool Box

Ladder

A/C Filter(s)

Plunger

First Aid Kit

Also, any suggestions for keeping the cost down on these and other items will be greatly appreciated. Luckily, the house will come with a Home Warranty and all appliances (washer/dryer/oven range/microwave/dishwasher/fridge)

Is the house an older one that you would have to change out the outlets? And you wouldn't have to change all of them. Just those around water.

Edited by pam

I should have added.... I live in Florida so no need for snow tools. I will have a ok size storage unit to keep some things I don't need daily.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look for clearance items and see if there are items out of season. Unfortunately, Florida has 2 main seasons: Hurricane and Hot/Humid which tend to be the same.

Or the Florida 4 seasons...

1) Very hot and sunny

2) Hot and sunny

3) Sunny

4) Mild

Edited by SoaringEagle

Do you have Freecycle? I have seen a lot of people advertise good stuff for free (including me!) just because it is outgrown or was a mistake purchase in the first place (surfboards anyone? Who would have thought 3 teens in a beachside suburb would hate the beach).

I have also picked up some great stuff at the local family store/St Vinnies/Salvation Army. I also make sure I pay it back by giving back to them when I can as well.

We have a ward Facebook page, I have advertised free items there (exercise equipment) that was taken quickly, and I have seen people ask for things they need and often someone will happen to have that item not being used. We have 1 sofa that has now been through 3 families :)

We have seconds places where often the only thing wrong is the box is damaged. We got our fridge at one of those places 12 years ago for a $500 discount (33% off the sale price) because there was a scratch on the door - we bought a small can of paint and you wouldn't know the difference.

I always look in the markdown section of department stores, I once picked up a set of 1000 TC queen sized sheets for $12. They were $120, marked down to $20 because someone had stolen the pillow slips, I then received a further reduction due to a store wide percentage off sale). I went to the Manchester aisle and bought matching pillow slips for $20. We bought our whipper snipper at a much reduced price because the instruction manual was missing - it was available online.

Floor coverings - you can go to carpet stores and get offcuts of sometimes very luxurious carpets, have them overlocked and you have very cheap mats or rugs.

One of our best investments was marked down blockout curtains. They don't exactly match our furnishings, but after 3 years we have reduced the cost of heating and cooling substantially - enough to go buy new, matching ones if we want, thought we have grown to like them :)

If I do need to make a purchase, I will research what I want first, then look online and call around for the best deal I can find, then take that to the local stores and see if they will price match. I prefer to support local business, plus I prefer to know it is easy to take things back if there is something wrong.

For more expensive or perhaps luxury items I tell the family that I don't want gifts, but would prefer a contribution towards it.

At least 6 months living expenses saved up. Expect the unexpected. Something always goes wrong or needs fixing in a house, especially an older one. It might be the water heater, the roof, gutters, paint, siding, etc.

IMO if one doesn't have 6 months living expenses, one is not prepared to purchase a house.

Congratulations on the house!

Edited by yjacket

IMO if one doesn't have 6 months living expenses, one is not prepared to purchase a house.

Not a cool thing to say to somebody who is already moving in to her 1st house... it just sucks the joy out of it if, for instance, she happens to not have 6 months worth of living expenses... and there's nothing she can do about it now.

Tact. It can be quite important sometimes.

Are you happy now?

Not quite. Better to just erase that line because you already touched on it on the first paragraph in a more constructive way. Keep the new line you added though. It's an awesome line.

Better to find out now and have an oh crap moment, rather than get 3 months down the road lose a job and really be up a creek.

Buying a house isn't for the faint of heart. Having something you call your own is the greatest and best feeling in the world!! Being unprepared for that and then losing it because one is unprepared is real tough and can and does break many people.

If everybody who bought a house from 04-08 had had at least 6 months of living expenses things would have been much, much better off for them.

I imagine that most people buying a house today have learned, or should have learned some very valuable lessons from the housing bubble. Housing prices today in many areas of the country are a great bargain, and they were a steal 2-3 years ago. But it's foolish to think it can't or won't happen again.

The OP asked for things one needs in buying a house, just like pots and pans and food, one needs money to live in a house. Not having a store of living expenses is like not buying pots, pans, cooking utensils, etc.--not smart and a recipe for disaster.

Better to find out now and have an oh crap moment, rather than get 3 months down the road lose a job and really be up a creek.

Buying a house isn't for the faint of heart. Having something you call your own is the greatest and best feeling in the world!! Being unprepared for that and then losing it because one is unprepared is real tough and can and does break many people.

If everybody who bought a house from 04-08 had had at least 6 months of living expenses things would have been much, much better off for them.

I imagine that most people buying a house today have learned, or should have learned some very valuable lessons from the housing bubble. Housing prices today in many areas of the country are a great bargain, and they were a steal 2-3 years ago. But it's foolish to think it can't or won't happen again.

The OP asked for things one needs in buying a house, just like pots and pans and food, one needs money to live in a house. Not having a store of living expenses is like not buying pots, pans, cooking utensils, etc.--not smart and a recipe for disaster.

I agree with you. It's just that you already said all that in the first paragraph in a more constructive manner. The 2nd paragraph is a downer for somebody who already paid for the house and is about to move in and is unnecessary after the 1st paragraph. That's all I'm saying.

It really sucks to have paid hard-earned money on something - like an iPhone on a 2-year ATT contract - and then have somebody say, "Oh but you should have used Verizon because you're just throwing $$ away on ATT". It's useless. Can't get out of that 2-year contract anymore. It serves nothing more than to be a downer. That needed to be said before the guy bought the contract and not after. After, it is better to just say, "Wow, you have an awesome phone!". Even if you think the contract sucks.

And that's all I have to say about that. Sorry to derail the thread. Just touched on a peeve of mine.

Edited by anatess

Not quite. Better to just erase that line because you already touched on it on the first paragraph in a more constructive way. Keep the new line you added though. It's an awesome line.

And no, one does not have any business buying a house, especially a first home without a savings cushion. The rule of thumb is 6 months.

If the buyer has gotten to the point of getting ready to close on a house, then the bank

should have already done the due diligence and verified some savings cushion, and the OP shouldn't have any problem conforming to some savings cushion.

However, anecdotally I've heard reports of banks, FHA loans, etc. going back to 97% down loans. That is the same thing that got the entire country into the housing bubble mess. I've pretty conventional so I think the rule should be 20% down, 6 months savings. But I could understand 10% down, 3 months savings, but anything less than that is just plan nuts.

It's not buying a dog or a car, it's buying a highly leveraged expense. Over the long run and even the short run if done right it's awesome, and one will live a much, much higher standard of living than just renting. It provides freedom, responsibility, etc. It is something that most people should aspire too. But if done poorly, it will lead to more temporal misery than most other things in life.

I highly recommend buying a house, I own 2; but if it ain't done right it will cause a lot of pain and suffering.

Not a cool thing to say to somebody who is already moving in to her 1st house... it just sucks the joy out of it if, for instance, she happens to not have 6 months worth of living expenses... and there's nothing she can do about it now.

Tact. It can be quite important sometimes.

She said she is on the verge of purchasing a new home. That doesn't mean it is a done deal necessarily.

And that's all I have to say about that. Sorry to derail the thread. Just touched on a peeve of mine.

I wouldn't have said it had the OP closed on a house; OP said on the verge of buying a house. Verge to me means contract signed but not closed, meaning it's not a done deal.

I apologize to the OP if I have caused offense. Housing is a somewhat hobby of mine, I've studied it since about early '05. Watched it very closely on the up and the bottom. From my study of it, very few things in life will determine one's standard of living in life as dramatically as when and how someone buys a house.

Purchased at the right time in the right way, it is phenomenal, at the wrong time in the wrong way, misery.

'05-'08 was a horrible time to purchase a house, '10 was absolutely a steal '13 is still probably a pretty good time as far as prices go.

I sincerely wish the OP the best in her house and in her endeavors. Done right, there are very, very few things in this world that give one as good of a feeling as, this is my place, this is my castle, I worked for it, I struggled for it, I own it. I made it with by the sweat of my brow.

She said she is on the verge of purchasing a new home. That doesn't mean it is a done deal necessarily.

I wouldn't have said it had the OP closed on a house; OP said on the verge of buying a house. Verge to me means contract signed but not closed, meaning it's not a done deal.

I apologize to the OP if I have caused offense. Housing is a somewhat hobby of mine, I've studied it since about early '05. Watched it very closely on the up and the bottom. From my study of it, very few things in life will determine one's standard of living in life as dramatically as when and how someone buys a house.

Purchased at the right time in the right way, it is phenomenal, at the wrong time in the wrong way, misery.

'05-'08 was a horrible time to purchase a house, '10 was absolutely a steal '13 is still probably a pretty good time as far as prices go.

I sincerely wish the OP the best in her house and in her endeavors. Done right, there are very, very few things in this world that give one as good of a feeling as, this is my place, this is my castle, I worked for it, I struggled for it, I own it. I made it with by the sweat of my brow.

You're right! My bad. I misunderstood the OP to mean she already signed the closing papers and is just getting ready to move in. I don't know how I got all that from "on the verge of buying a house". Gee whiz. I'm getting old.

All the negative on this thread is all on me. Mea Culpa. I got this really easy Cool-Whip Cookie recipe to make up for it... 8oz tub of Cool Whip mixed into 1 regular box of any flavor cake mix (my favorite is Duncan Hines Devil Food Cake), mix in 1 egg. Spoon dough into cookie sheet (I use ice cream scoop because the dough is quite sticky) and bake for 12-15 minutes at 350F. Let cool and enjoy. Perfect to make a first house smell awesome and have some gooey cookie goodness to snack on while moving furniture...

Edited by anatess

Thanks for all the comments. I had a lot of thoughts about some of the last comments about financials and I do appreciate the concern. Verge is I have filled out the paperwork and had the inspection. Closing is not for another month so I can change my mind or it can fall through. It also has to appraise for the amount. My mother has been working in real estate through the ebb and flow of the market (boom and bust) and she is assisting me in the purchase through the way. With that said, in my area and price range, it is cheaper to buy a place than to rent a place.

Villa $650-700 (mortgage, HOA, taxes, and very high insurance)

Renting an Apartment with same space $1000

I probably live in the worst county in the country when it comes to Homeowner Insurance.

The great part is that I will also have a 1 year home warranty. I also have excellent credit and have worked with the State for the past 7 1/2 years.

My main question was what are important things to remember to buy when purchasing a home. I have the usual dishes, pots, pans, silverware, etc but then forget "Hey I need a plunger". I would be the one to forget that I need tools and maintenance equipment.

Unfortunately, I live with these gremlins that eat the cookies between the time it is baked to the time I get the box prepared to send it to Pam... Still figuring out how to solve that problem...

More things: Laundry detergent, laundry basket, Ironing board and iron.

Waste basket

Dish washing soap and sponges.

Welcome mat that traps dirt from shoes.