quick temple divorce

treceboehme

Sorry, didn't read all the replies. Just my own personal example. I was devorced after ten years of marriage in the temple. Found someone to marry, bishop suggested civil first. This was good advice because four and a half years later, we finally got sealed this last Saturday. It does take time. Both of us had temple reccomends this whole time, so it is not just about that. Lots of issues and things. It makes you stop and think about how seriouse it all is. Sure, I knew that, but now I experienced it. Long time to wait, but worth it.

On the other hand, some people don't have to wait as long. My letter actually had some personal things in it from the first presidency of the church. The leaders know whta they are doing. no doubts.

Why? Why can't they get married immediately after a civil ceremony like they do in the United Kingdom?

In the UK there is a law that all marriage ceremonies need to be held in public buildings because there is the legal obligation of

"if any man should know of a reason why these 2 people may not be joined in holy matrimony may he speak now or forever hold his peace"

Because the temple does not allow general public to enter, there must be a legal ceremony as well as the sealing ceremony to allow the fulfillment of the above but they must be performed on the same day and the sealing ceremony can only proceed once the civil marriage certificate has been obtained.

If you have extenuating circumstances such as an outrageous distance to travel or disability then you can apply to to have the same day rule extended as I know people used to travel from northern Europe to the London Temple.

Short answer, unless the country prohibits legal marriage and temple sealing (like the UK) to happen at the same time then you must wait for one year after the civil ceremony unless one of the couple had not been confirmed a member for at least a full year prior to the date of the civil ceremony.

Edited by ditd

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 'marriage' and a 'sealing' are a separate thing? Obviously this is what happens in the UK due to the law Ditd talks about above, but is that the same elsewhere?

This could be perfect, because then my family could come to the actual marriage, and then the two of us could go to the Temple for the sealing, which would fulfill her wish to be married in the temple! ( I think she meant marriage loosely, as I didn't know about sealing until now! :D)