Wordprint Studies? Why aren't more around?

jinc1019

After doing a little more digging about the Book of Mormon, I came across a 2002 study that seemed to claim, based on a wordprint study (which analyzes the likelihood that various authors actually wrote particular material), that Joseph Smith, Oliver C., and Sidney Ringdon absolutely did not write the Book of Mormon. However, a Stanford test by three professors, the lead author's name was Jokers, seemed to suggest that Ringdon was definitely the author based on a statistical model in 2008. A BYU study then later debunked this quite successfully in my opinion, but all of these studies leads me to my question:

Why the heck aren't there a lot more wordprint studies? It seems to me this would definitely help resolve any questions about the Book of Mormon, Book of Abraham, etc.

Here is a FAIR Mormon article on wordprint studies and the 2002 study that favors the Mormon position nicely: Book of Mormon/Wordprint studies - FairMormon

I have a friend that is dyslexic, he gets comfortable with a certain authors writing style and can anticipate the words an author will use which helps him in his reading. He can tell when a different author takes over due to their use of different words. The Book of Mormon passes his test for multiple authors.

BTW its Rigdon, not Ringdon.

I agree with applepansy. The bottom line is that "word print" is an interesting and fallible technique that might provide a few insights into the Book of Mormon, but in the end won't tell you anything of any real importance. That comes only through the Spirit.

I have a friend that is dyslexic, he gets comfortable with a certain authors writing style and can anticipate the words an author will use which helps him in his reading. He can tell when a different author takes over due to their use of different words. The Book of Mormon passes his test for multiple authors.

BTW its Rigdon, not Ringdon.

Sorry, it was a typo.

I agree with applepansy. The bottom line is that "word print" is an interesting and fallible technique that might provide a few insights into the Book of Mormon, but in the end won't tell you anything of any real importance. That comes only through the Spirit.

Unlike many of you, I have yet to be blessed with the certainty of the Spirit. As such, I try to rely on whatever hard evidence I can find, even if it is, like all human things, fallible.