Wearing crosses and blessing objects

andypg

I think you misunderstood me. We were talking of OBJECTS. So, when I said you don't hold anything sacred I only meant any OBJECT sacred.

Okay, with pets... I "own" my pets like I "own" my children. I don't own my pets like I own a TV. Therefore, when I took on the responsibility of raising 3 dogs, 3 birds, 2 turtles, 1 lizard, 10 fish, and 6 snakes, I took on the responsibility of giving them their proper care. It's not a responsibility that is easily set aside like if I happen to move and the TV does not fit the new house I put it up on craigslist. And so if the house burns down, it is my responsibility to save these creatures to the best of my ability because I am a steward of God's creation. Why don't I try to save a houseplant? Because, I have not received revelation that houseplants feel pain.

There is no living thing on this planet that is not "created to be wild". And that includes the dog. So, why do I have pets? Because, there is nothing more powerful in teaching my children compassion for God's creation than having them care for one of them every single day of their lives. We learn about their unique qualities, we gain experience in the proper conditions, not only for their survival, but also for their contentment, we gain respect for them and love them for what they are. It is not possible for us to live in the zoo and it is not possible for us to live in the African/Amazon jungle.

Talking about stewardship... how many people do you know whose first instinct when they see a snake is not to run for the shovel to chop its head off? I have 2 kids right here who has gained that respect for animals including snakes. When they grow up, they have a better chance of fighting for animal preservation because they have a personal relationship with them.

Okay, back to topic.

Again my opinion. I do hold things to be sacred - just some things more than others. For example, in general, I hold things created uniquely by G-d to be more sacred than things created by man - This is because I hold G-d in greater esteem than I do man. I also hold things sacred created by "righteous" (which to me includes intelligent) men.

I am glad you intend to teach your children respect for animals. May I suggest that you consider raising animals for your table. This will teach your children not to waist - especially meat - realizing that a living creature gave its life for their food. I was raised in a residential (city) with chickens and rabbits that we would slaughter and eat. Often at a young and tender age I became attached to creatures that I cared for - and I learned not to e wasteful with the food I ate - because I understood that often a living thing died that I might eat. And if it did not die it gave up part of its self that I can eat. So I challenge you to teach your children respect for the sacredness of life by raising and caring for at least in part some of the things they eat.

I think it would be wise and a learning experience for those that maintain predatory creatures as pets; teach their children the place of predators - by raising some of their prey as pets and observing that a predator requires the "other" pets for their care and survival. Give you children a broader understanding of the sacredness of life and their responsibility in keeping the pets of their choice under their care. Don't sugar coat and make artificial the responsibilities associated with keeping a living thing as a pet.

The Traveler

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad you intend to teach your children respect for animals. May I suggest that you consider raising animals for your table. This will teach your children not to waist - especially meat - realizing that a living creature gave its life for their food. I was raised in a residential (city) with chickens and rabbits that we would slaughter and eat. Often at a young and tender age I became attached to creatures that I cared for - and I learned not to e wasteful with the food I ate - because I understood that often a living thing died that I might eat. And if it did not die it gave up part of its self that I can eat. So I challenge you to teach your children respect for the sacredness of life by raising and caring for at least in part some of the things they eat.

We did! We raised a few coturnix and new zealands for a short while. We stopped it when my dad got sick. We were also planning to put an aquaponics system with tilapia but we didn't get to it before my dad got sick. We thought we were going to move back to the islands but it didn't pan out. So maybe we're going to start that urban farm again.

I think it would be wise and a learning experience for those that maintain predatory creatures as pets; teach their children the place of predators - by raising some of their prey as pets and observing that a predator requires the "other" pets for their care and survival. Give you children a broader understanding of the sacredness of life and their responsibility in keeping the pets of their choice under their care. Don't sugar coat and make artificial the responsibilities associated with keeping a living thing as a pet.

The Traveler

We do that too! The quail and rabbits were also for the dogs (our dogs eat raw prey). Now we go to the meat shop for dog food which gets quite expensive. We still have the African Soft Fur colony for the snakes. The original breeder ASFs were my pets. They got old (rodents don't live too long) and got buried in our pet cemetery but we kept the colony for snake food. My children have the primary care of the birds, fish, turtles, lizards, and the snakes. The dogs are mine but I do all the clean-up work the kids just help with that.

Yes. We have a zoo.

Another effective use of the cross symbol for me is as a mental image to help my mind focus during prayer! I find that if I image the cross in my mind, my spirit seems calmer. I use mental imaging a lot so it is a natural extension of how my mind operates!

We did! We raised a few coturnix and new zealands for a short while. We stopped it when my dad got sick. We were also planning to put an aquaponics system with tilapia but we didn't get to it before my dad got sick. We thought we were going to move back to the islands but it didn't pan out. So maybe we're going to start that urban farm again.

We do that too! The quail and rabbits were also for the dogs (our dogs eat raw prey). Now we go to the meat shop for dog food which gets quite expensive. We still have the African Soft Fur colony for the snakes. The original breeder ASFs were my pets. They got old (rodents don't live too long) and got buried in our pet cemetery but we kept the colony for snake food. My children have the primary care of the birds, fish, turtles, lizards, and the snakes. The dogs are mine but I do all the clean-up work the kids just help with that.

Yes. We have a zoo.

You also have a friend that is very impressed and honored to converse with you.

The Traveler

Something else to consider. This is a portion of the account given by Wilford Woodruff of healings done by Joseph Smith and others 22 July 1839:

This case of Brother Noble's was the last one of healing upon that day. It was the greatest day for the manifestation of the power of God through the gift of healing since the organization of the Church.

When we left Brother Noble, the Prophet Joseph went with those who accompanied him from the other side of the bank of the river, to return home. While waiting for the ferryboat, a man of the world, knowing of the miracles which had been performed, came to him and asked him if he would not go and heal his twin children, about five months old, who were both lying sick nigh unto death. They were some two miles from Montrose.

The Prophet said he could not go, but after pausing some time, he said he would send some one to heal them. He then turned to me and said, "You go with the man and heal his children."

He took a red silk handkerchief out of his pocket and gave it to me, and told me to wipe their faces with the handkerchief when I administered to them, and they should be healed. He also said unto me, "As long as you will keep that handkerchief, it shall remain a league between you and me."

I went with the man, and did as the Prophet commanded me, and the children were healed.

I have possession of the handkerchief unto this day (Emphasis added).

-Finrock

I don't disagree with most that has been said. Personally I don't really mind the use of a cross, I don't do it myself because it doesn't help me feel the Spirit... So I can feel that I shouldn't use it in that way. But that's the effect it has on me alone, having seen the cross misused daily for years merely to uphold tradition. But there is no doubt at all, at the significance the cross holds also in the scriptures.

Here's a thought provoking talk on the subject:

The Meaning of the Cross for Latter-day Saints - Ensign July 2011 - ensign

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a very un-Mormon state so crosses are common due to converts (like me).

The only issue I have ever had is the missionaries assume I'm a visitor. :D

I went to the Hill Cumorah with my cross and we were attracting missionaries like crazy. I couldn't figure it out. Five kids. Clean cut family...we look LDS. My husband noticed the cross and said "It's the cross!!! tuck that thing away, I can't take another missionary". :D :D

I put it under my t shirt and not one missionary came up to us. :lol:

(and yes, I love the missionaries!!!)

I guess you don't know until you try it. It might depend on how your leader sees it. Many years ago, - a new beehive fresh out of Primary - I received a beautiful necklace with a cross hanging off it from a non-member friend for my 12th birthday - with pretty little rhinestones. I wore it to church and didn't think much of it until our Stake President walked up to me and demanded I take it off.

"Take it off." His first words to me as I stood there with my arm extended waiting for the handshake. I had no idea what he was going on about and stood there stunned:huh: as he repeated "take it off, that thing around your neck. You shouldn't be wearing that here." I felt like I had the devil around my neck :lol:

After that, I've always felt uncomfortable about seeing people wearing crosses during church sessions, though in my current ward, I see crosses all the time on jewellery and printed. No one seems to have an issue with it.:)

The church doesn't condemn wearing crosses and there's nothing wrong with it. I have a cross. I don't wear it just because it was handed down to me by my father and I don't want anything to happen to it.

The problem is when some Christians seem to worship the cross and, in a round about way, believe that the cross itself is saving even though salvation comes by the Christ.

Wear it. If someone says something at church, answer them with your feelings on it.