Would you want to be one to colonize Mars?

pam

There has been plenty of Mars gravity simulation studies in the past 40 years that simulates 1/3G. There was a Mars exhibit in Cape Canaveral years ago that had some stuff like a greenhouse growing in a Mars simulated environment. There's a lot of health effects studies too, one of them I read back in the 80's, although I can't tell you what it says anymore, but I do remember it mentioning people may be taller on average in Mars.

There is that Maven mission going on right now. It would be interesting to see what kind of stuff that probe is going to give us. I think that mission centers on studying what killed Mars.

Got a cite? I seems fairly likely someone has extrapolated the impacts of micro-gravity to 0.38 G in discussion, but an actual study investigating bone density changes in humans in a long term 0.38 G environment sounds fascinating, I'd love to see their methodology.

if we can haul enough plants and algaes and soil or super soil, air, food, and waste recycling problems will become muchly alleviated.

Recently I've read that theres more water trapped water than previously thought, so if they could find a way to tap that when necessary.

hauling things around on mars probably won't require too much adaptation, the first time we went to the moon it didn't take too long to get the hang of things.

If we can design a segment of the ship that can spin to a degree, that can fake gravity to fight bone loss either way all of them wlil have to have a heavy exercise program... a circular room for long runs would probably help.

Probably the most concerning aspect of the trip to mars the potential for solar flares in their direction, and after that other forms of radiation..

Edited by Blackmarch

Got a cite? I seems fairly likely someone has extrapolated the impacts of micro-gravity to 0.38 G in discussion, but an actual study investigating bone density changes in humans in a long term 0.38 G environment sounds fascinating, I'd love to see their methodology.

My dad is big on space programs so much so that my sister was almost named Skylab. When I was in college (before the era of digital media in the Philippines), I used to go to the school library to read whatever new journals they got their hands on. I used to photocopy snippets of anything to do with space programs for him.

If you have access to the online database (should be available in any American college with a student ID card), it should come up on a search if they go back that far.

• 2 weeks later...