Contending

Saab900man

I have noticed that alot of the posts in the forums seem to be a "fight" over doctrine. I know that some using this site have different views about certain topics discussed.

But should we really content over them? I know we need to not be ashamed of what ever faith join ourselves to but I do we need to contend beliefs? What are your thoughts?

:dontknow:

Guest Username-Removed

I think you should feel ok to say what you believe. However, when the "contention" turns hateful, then the conversation should probably end in my opinion. There are some people out there that love a good fight. Some dont even care what the argument is, they simply take the opposite side just to argue. Everyone does it thier own way. But thats how I operate.

We have different beliefs and different religions. Fights might be a strong word.

Okay EXTREME disagreements.

<div class='quotemain'>

We have different beliefs and different religions. Fights might be a strong word.

Just to add to this. I'm happy to see people of many different faiths come to this website and post. We just all need to remember to be tolerant of other beliefs. EXTREME disagreements are so unnecessary.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Just to add to this. I'm happy to see people of many different faiths come to this website and post. We just all need to remember to be tolerant of other beliefs. EXTREME disagreements are so unnecessary.

Yeah, they're a waste of time.

Why argue when we could be friends? We could have fun, laugh and be joyful...

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

I agree ;)

I like learning about other's beliefs and religions. Like I served a mission in Germany and met with several groups and talked about religion.

We met with some Frei-Christen--Born-Again Baptists and we got along great. But then they dug into Anti-Mormon lit, and we contended, the Spirit was SO not there. It left a bitter feeling in my heart today.

We met with another group, Muslims (like 30 of them!) and talked religion with them (and learned that we have a lot of similarities). I can tell you the Spirit was there on many occasions when we talked about Christ. We established a strong enough friendship that some said that "if there ever was a Christian church that could connect with the Muslims, it would be your church." :o We had our differences, however, but we never felt it necessary to drill it and contend over such things. We really opened a door to possibilities there.

In many cases, people just want to contend. All I would and could do was say, "You have your experiences, I have mine. I'm just here to teach those who want to be taught and tell them my experience, and encourage them to try it out on their own. I can't convert anyone. That's left between them and God."

I like learning about other's beliefs and religions. Like I served a mission in Germany and met with several groups and talked about religion.

We met with some Frei-Christen--Born-Again Baptists and we got along great. But then they dug into Anti-Mormon lit, and we contended, the Spirit was SO not there. It left a bitter feeling in my heart today.

We met with another group, Muslims (like 30 of them!) and talked religion with them (and learned that we have a lot of similarities). I can tell you the Spirit was there on many occasions when we talked about Christ. We established a strong enough friendship that some said that "if there ever was a Christian church that could connect with the Muslims, it would be your church." :o We had our differences, however, but we never felt it necessary to drill it and contend over such things. We really opened a door to possibilities there.

In many cases, people just want to contend. All I would and could do was say, "You have your experiences, I have mine. I'm just here to teach those who want to be taught and tell them my experience, and encourage them to try it out on their own. I can't convert anyone. That's left between them and God."

Well said

I think we should respect one anothers faith. As it is hard for us to share or beleive in what we beleive in this world, it's probably the same for them. Or so i think. Humans are a mystery. You don't tell them what you beleive, thinking it's disrespectful, and they don't mind. Or you don' think they'll be discrespectful about it, and they are totally in your face! In my ROTC class, we had this guy that hated mormons and he on random days would say something insulting. I kinda looked like i didn't care, and he stops. Like he said one day "you're a mormon, so you're a troll! a big ugly troll under a bridge!" so i said "YAY!!! I GET TO BE A TROLL!!" he aventually stopped. But that's as close to religion conficts that i've been in. :blush: ....was i too ranty? like my signature, i'm sure.....

We can be friendly while we disagree. :)

I friendly disagree. Just kidding. I agree totally. So many people of other faiths I respect highly.

Guest Yediyd

I had a wonderful chat with a man of the muslim faith online yesterday...we talked about our different opinoins and had a good time...we parted friends...there was no need to contend with him and he was surprised to learn that we Americans DON'T eat our young! (so to speak)

though, he may not have seen the thread I started about when life begins...eegats! hope he doesn't have a cat!

:rofl:

I had a wonderful chat with a man of the muslim faith online yesterday...we talked about our different opinoins and had a good time...we parted friends...there was no need to contend with him and he was surprised to learn that we Americans DON'T eat our young! (so to speak)

though, he may not have seen the thread I started about when life begins...eegats! hope he doesn't have a cat!

:roflmbo:

^_^ that's how it should be! i want to learn about other religions for the sake of knowing what they beleive!