Study Help

I need to find some spiritually uplifting way to study the scritures. I have read the Book of Mormon 3 times in 2 years. This now has become a bit of a chore to read as I was reading a chapter a day. I need to find a new method of study that will help the spirit be able to speak to my heart and mind. I have a new born son who takes up alot of my time so I will need to do something that takes up no more then 10-15min. at a time. My wife will not be happy if she does not get help from me during the day....imagine that :wow:

If anyone has a good method that they use or just an idea please let me know. I am having a hard time doing this daily like I need to with everything I have going on.

Best advice I got was from my Mother in Law she said forget its scripture - read it like you would read any other book. You know for first time I started carrying it round in my bag because I was excited to find out what happened next I was just reading the stories.

Charley

I put the scriptures through systems.

Write now I am about to finish coloring the Book of Mormon in my quad. I color every word as follows:

The Father = Left White (not a lot of this)

The Saviour = Red (tons of course)

The Holy Ghost = Yellow (More than you would think, but not much)

Narrarator = Green (lots)

Men = Brown (lots)

Women = Light Purple (again, more than you'd think, but not a ton)

Angels = Blue

Satan/Demons = Shady Gray

What this process does is it makes me look at who is speaking. It keeps things in context. What's cool is when you are quickly looking something up, the color changes can quickly bracket the quote and the context for you. Just having a copy so colored is nifty.

When I was a teen, I typed the whole Book of Mormon. It was an effort to improve typing skills and involve more senses in my study. It worked pretty good. It also gave me a searchable digital Book of Mormon long before such a thing was broadly available.

My next process might be to underline any commandment or counsel I could directly apply. Another thing I enjoy doing is selecting characters from the Book of Mormon and compiling every detail about them, their life, their chronology, etc.

Typically all I have to do is read a little and my inquisitive mind will have me on quite a scripture chase.

-a-train

Guest Yediyd

I bought a lot of extras, but I don't know how many pencils. A few red, many green, several brown. The scriptures are mostly green and brown. I haven't finished off a grey, yellow, or purple.

-a-train

nice to see I'm not the only one with a rainbow Bible! Mine does not have such a neet system, though...I did mark all the pp (prayer promises) in green, Hell references in red...Heaven in yellow...memory work in pink...ex.

• 2 months later...

I need to find some spiritually uplifting way to study the scritures. I have read the Book of Mormon 3 times in 2 years. This now has become a bit of a chore to read as I was reading a chapter a day. I need to find a new method of study that will help the spirit be able to speak to my heart and mind. I have a new born son who takes up alot of my time so I will need to do something that takes up no more then 10-15min. at a time. My wife will not be happy if she does not get help from me during the day....imagine that :wow:

If anyone has a good method that they use or just an idea please let me know. I am having a hard time doing this daily like I need to with everything I have going on.

I mark my footnotes in the text with color dots...Green for GR(greek) Pink for JST(joseph Smith Translation) etc etc...you will be amazed how much you learn, particularly in the Bible, from the footnotes...Marking the footnotes in the text makes you look down to that much neglected portion at the bottom of the page, and also lets you know that this particular footnote, is not just refering you to the TG (Topical Guide) which make up a large bulk of the footnotes...

Read the Gospels using the Harmony of The Gospels in the Bible Dictionary...This lists the events in Christs life, in the order they occur, from the various Gospels in which the events are recorded...and use the map to follow along in his travels...

Read the Bible Dictionary...sounds boring, but it is official Church Doctrine and you will be shocked how much you don't know...In particular you will learn the background of all the various books in the Bible...which is fascinating!

I have read the B of M at least 15-20 times, and I know what you are saying about it being tediuous and a bit boring...I have been trying recently to retrain my scriipture study to search topically, rather than chronologically...good place to start would be the Topical guide...start at Aaron and look up all the references...tedious, but you learn alot...:) Pretend your preparing a lesson on the subject...:)

I am finding that I start following little threads of information everywhere and end up on a topic that I had not started on and it feels a bit more like I am being led by The Spirit in my studies rather than just having a few tidbits pop out at me as I read chapter by chapter...still new to this method in personal study, but it is much more rewarding, and requires a little more effort...much like you feel after preparing a talk or lesson...HOpe this helps!