On Moving To Australia

Guest Patriot

Guest Patriot

We are just beginnig talk about the possibilty of moving to Australia by years end. We have much research to do. If anyone can provide any suggestions, that would be great.

I want to compare the cost of living in the U.S. vrs Australia (A.).

For example, if a person in the U.S. makes $55,000 a year USD United States Dollars, that's nearly $75,000 AUD Australia Dollars.

Is $75,000 AUD a sufficient income to live on for a family of six in A.?

We currently pay $2,000 ($2,700 AUD) per month for a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath 1200 Sq Ft house. How much would a similar house rent for in A.?

the most outstanding city I have been to in Australia is TOWNSVILLE. It is on the east coast in Queensland. I believe it is the 3rd largest city in Queensland. Anyway, I was there for a bit and I had a great time. Its not nearly as over run with tourists as say Perth, Sydney, or Brisbane. There is an island named Magnetic Island right off the beach about 30 miles that was discovered by Capt. Cook. Great place, just the right size and everyone there is really nice over all.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Setheus@Mar 27 2004, 07:53 PM

There is an island named Magnetic Island right off the beach about 30 miles that was discovered by Capt. Cook.   Great place, just the right size and everyone there is really nice over all.

Does it have white sand beaches and light house?

Guest Patriot

Originally posted by Outshined@Mar 27 2004, 04:58 PM

Does the equivalent job pay that much in Australia? There is always the job market to consider. A job paying 55,000 in one city in the US may not pay nearly as much in another. Just something to consider.

Does the equivalent job pay that much in Australia? There is always the job market to consider. A job paying 55,000 in one city in the US may not pay nearly as much in another. Just something to consider.

What do you think is the best way to research that? I could look at classified, but I don't think they will have the sallary rage.

Also, my wife believes that taxes are nearly 50%; anyone know?

Guest Patriot

Originally posted by Setheus@Mar 27 2004, 08:53 PM

the most outstanding city I have been to in Australia is TOWNSVILLE. It is on the east coast in Queensland. I believe it is the 3rd largest city in Queensland. Anyway, I was there for a bit and I had a great time. Its not nearly as over run with tourists as say Perth, Sydney, or Brisbane. There is an island named Magnetic Island right off the beach about 30 miles that was discovered by Capt. Cook. Great place, just the right size and everyone there is really nice over all.

Very cool, I'll check it out for certain.

I discovered a great website http://www.gomatilda.com/

" We are a company that provides migration and visa assistance to individuals and businesses that are moving to Australia. However, we don't stop there, as our services go beyond what most migration consultancies provide - and this website provides an indication of the depth of advice we can offer, with a wide range of information and links to subjects that are relevant to a move to Australia including visas, tax and financial planning, businesses for sale, shipping, jobs, houses, schools, telecoms, and many more."

• 3 years later...
Guest Yediyd

$2k a month? And I thought cost of living in Toronto was high.

REALLY!!!!! I live in NY, I pay 675$ per month for a 2 bed,2 bath,air conditioned, heat and hot water included...with dishwasher, trash compacter, and indoor pool and weight room...we even have a billard room and convention room for parties. And I was complaining when they raised my rent this month...think I'll stop complainig!

<div class='quotemain'>

$2k a month? And I thought cost of living in Toronto was high.

REALLY!!!!! I live in NY, I pay 675$ per month for a 2 bed,2 bath,air conditioned, heat and hot water included...with dishwasher, trash compacter, and indoor pool and weight room...we even have a billard room and convention room for parties. And I was complaining when they raised my rent this month...think I'll stop complainig!

$675???? You can't get away with paying double that for half that here in Calgary. Mu fiance's :wub: parent are looking for a place. they found a 2br upper suite (top half of a house), less than 1000 sqft for $1200/month. The cheapest places to buy are more than $300,000. That's for a condo apartment of about 800sqft. :cry:

PS - Calgary was just listed as the 6th most expensive city in the world to live in.

I'd move to Australia in a heartbeat, if I could convince my ex to let us take my son.

What is the cost of living there Yedid? Gasoline prices? Price of a gallon of milk, pound of real butter (store brand is fine), 5 lbs of sugar. Do you pay for garbage pick up, or is that also included? I noticed you said hot water - do you have to pay for cold :lol: ? What are the names of the grocery stores there? I can get a fair idea of the cost of living by visiting their sites. Example Safeway. My little sister wanted me to move to Atlanta and live with her (before I got married the second time), she said it was real cheap to live there.

Hah! I checked out the Safeway store ADS, and they were twice what I was paying in Oregon! Then I checked out the newspapers in her area and the house- apartment rentals. I was paying $450 for a two bedroom, doublewide sitting on a double lot. My water/sewer bill was $35.00 in the winter and $55.00 in the summer (outside watering), my electric bill was 65.00 in the summer (no heat) and 95.00 in the winter. The cheapest place to rent was a studio apartment for $1200.00 a month, no utilities included! She also told me that wages there were high. Again, hah! I checked out Georgia Employment on-line. Starting wages are $5+ an hour, and in some cases $7.75. I was making $12.25 an hour where I was.

Two years later I met DH, and we got married and I moved to Pinal County AZ to his home. Where I am here is cheaper in some things than Oregon, and more than Oregon. Food is cheaper, electric is more. Water is close to the same. Rent used to be higher. Oregon is now the same.

Guest Yediyd

<div class='quotemain'>

What is the cost of living there Yedid? Gasoline prices? Price of a gallon of milk, pound of real butter (store brand is fine), 5 lbs of sugar. Do you pay for garbage pick up, or is that also included? I noticed you said hot water - do you have to pay for cold :lol: ? What are the names of the grocery stores there? I can get a fair idea of the cost of living by visiting their sites. Example Safeway. My little sister wanted me to move to Atlanta and live with her (before I got married the second time), she said it was real cheap to live there.

Hah! I checked out the Safeway store ADS, and they were twice what I was paying in Oregon! Then I checked out the newspapers in her area and the house- apartment rentals. I was paying $450 for a two bedroom, doublewide sitting on a double lot. My water/sewer bill was $35.00 in the winter and $55.00 in the summer (outside watering), my electric bill was 65.00 in the summer (no heat) and 95.00 in the winter. The cheapest place to rent was a studio apartment for $1200.00 a month, no utilities included! She also told me that wages there were high. Again, hah! I checked out Georgia Employment on-line. Starting wages are $5+ an hour, and in some cases $7.75. I was making $12.25 an hour where I was.

Two years later I met DH, and we got married and I moved to Pinal County AZ to his home. Where I am here is cheaper in some things than Oregon, and more than Oregon. Food is cheaper, electric is more. Water is close to the same. Rent used to be higher. Oregon is now the same.

We have high taxes here in NY, and no...I do not pay for garbage...yes, cold water is free! Let's see...we have Target, Wal-mart, Aldies, Wegmans, Price Chopper... Min. wage in NY is somewhere around 6.50per hour (not sure the exect)Gas prices are hovering around 3.00$ per gallon.

Guest Username-Removed

I served my mission in Australia. However I was on the Western side. I remember fuel was twice as much there than in the US. I dont know if that still holds true. There is less competition on almost everything. Import laws are very tight. My Canon A-1 camera cost $289 in the states back in 1982. That same camera in Aus was $790! Unless they make it there, import duties put it out of sight. Food is really cheap. At least it was back then. 1 gallon of milk back in 1983 was $0.99 cents. I survied for less that $10 a week in food. Fish and Chips at the local shop was $1.50 for two pieces of fish and whole mess of fries.

If you found a job there, thats amazing. Aus does not like immigrant workers from out of the country. I've only heard of two americans being able to get work there. One was illegal, the other worked for Quantas.

They dont have good mayo, peanut butter, hamburgers (they dont age thier beef), and cheddar cheese. They dont have Burger King, they have Hungry Jacks (which is pretty much the same) except the burgers are terrible. KFC is huge, and so is McDonalds. Clothing is expensive, but thats the import thing again. Most technology is expensive too for the same reason. Ford makes thier cars there, and GM does not have Chevys, they have HOLDEN. Most of the cars are ugly. Most of the young guys run around in Holden vans called Sandman's, a two door car with a pick up bed in the back and a canopy - I'll let you figure that one out!

Cops dont wear guns but plain clothes investigators do. Never do you banking on Wednesday (at least in WA) becasue thats when they hand out the dole. The bank has long lines that are out the door those that are on welfare. They drive on the other side of the road and have some interesting traffic laws including not having Yeild signs. Just ask any australian what Yeild means, and they look at you kinda funny. But they do have red triangular signs that say "give way"

The church has many MANY chapels, and a lot of them are filled only to the first two pews every sunday.

Thats the short version ...

Guest Yediyd

I served my mission in Australia. However I was on the Western side. I remember fuel was twice as much there than in the US. I dont know if that still holds true. There is less competition on almost everything. Import laws are very tight. My Canon A-1 camera cost $289 in the states back in 1982. That same camera in Aus was $790! Unless they make it there, import duties put it out of sight. Food is really cheap. At least it was back then. 1 gallon of milk back in 1983 was $0.99 cents. I survied for less that $10 a week in food. Fish and Chips at the local shop was $1.50 for two pieces of fish and whole mess of fries.

If you found a job there, thats amazing. Aus does not like immigrant workers from out of the country. I've only heard of two americans being able to get work there. One was illegal, the other worked for Quantas.

They dont have good mayo, peanut butter, hamburgers (they dont age thier beef), and cheddar cheese. They dont have Burger King, they have Hungry Jacks (which is pretty much the same) except the burgers are terrible. KFC is huge, and so is McDonalds. Clothing is expensive, but thats the import thing again. Most technology is expensive too for the same reason. Ford makes thier cars there, and GM does not have Chevys, they have HOLDEN. Most of the cars are ugly. Most of the young guys run around in Holden vans called Sandman's, a two door car with a pick up bed in the back and a canopy - I'll let you figure that one out!

Cops dont wear guns but plain clothes investigators do. Never do you banking on Wednesday (at least in WA) becasue thats when they hand out the dole. The bank has long lines that are out the door those that are on welfare. They drive on the other side of the road and have some interesting traffic laws including not having Yeild signs. Just ask any australian what Yeild means, and they look at you kinda funny. But they do have red triangular signs that say "give way"

The church has many MANY chapels, and a lot of them are filled only to the first two pews every sunday.

Thats the short version ...

hummmmm....very interesting, thank you for that Wordflood. I joined this church when I was 40, didn't get to go on a mission or seminary or young woman's, but I hope to get to go on a mission after my kids are raised. If that doesn't happen...I'm on a mission now. I share the gosple with anyone who will listen and to some "captive" audiences.