Unworthy To Talk?

jhansen6

I believe Bishops have guidelines as to who can participate in a Sacrament service in any capacity. I was asked once to sing with my sister in her ward. Her Bishop had to call my Bishop to make sure that I was "okay" to participate.

Good question. Preface this by saying I am not an authority on the subject, just have been a member for a while, and my answer would be as an observer of how things work (JMO)

If you have been deemed unworthy by your local priesthood leader to participate in the sacrament, you are not asked to offer opening and closing prayers in group settings, etc. I would imagine that you would not be asked to give a sacrament talk under those circumstances.

If you have removed yourself from participating in the sacrament rite due to feelings of unworthiness and are (or are not) in a repentant process but have not discussed same with your priesthood leader, you might be asked to give a sacrament talk. If this is the case, you have a couple of options. You can turn down the assignment without divulging the reason. You can turn down the assignment and discuss the situation with your priesthood leader. You can accept the assignment, prepare and give your talk, and discover in the process that you have learned something that helps increase your worthiness to participate.

If you are unworthy to take the sacrament are you also unworthy to give a sacrament talk?

I'd kill a goat with my bare hands and then blame it on my daughter if it would disqualify me from speaking in Church.

Can I get a ruling on that please?

I believe Bishops have guidelines as to who can participate in a Sacrament service in any capacity. I was asked once to sing with my sister in her ward. Her Bishop had to call my Bishop to make sure that I was "okay" to participate.

Yes, and your rendition of 'Stairway to heaven' was delightful to hear. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

If you are unworthy to take the sacrament are you also unworthy to give a sacrament talk?

my reply will seem like a cop out.....your answer could be yes and it might be no....it depends on what is preventing you from partaking of the Sacrament and it depends on what has happened....let your Bishop be your guide in this....often we as humans deem ourselves unworthy for lots of things, when in fact its just us being too hard on ourselves ....

<div class='quotemain'>

I'd kill a goat with my bare hands and then blame it on my daughter if it would disqualify me from speaking in Church.

Can I get a ruling on that please?

Yes, and your rendition of 'Stairway to heaven' was delightful to hear. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

:roflmbo: Bwahahahahaha! I nearly fell out of my bed!

It depends on who told you not to take the sacrament. If your bishop or stake president instructed you to not partake of the sacrament, then they probably aren't going to ask you to give a talk either. If you haven't spoken to a priesthood leader and haven't done anything that would require you to, but simply feel unworthy, then there's no reason why you can't speak in sacrament or participate fully in the gospel.

<div class='quotemain'>

:bouncing: That was hilarious.