In the outer court or telestial kingdom there is glory comparable to the stars. Here we find the altar of sacrifice and the lavar. The outer court was open to the heavens. Those of the telestial kingdom will be required to learn the first law of heaven – obedience, for every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is lord.

Both the brazan altar and the lavar of the outer court were made of bronze which is inferior to gold. The altar of incense and table of showbread of the holy place were both made of wood overlaid with gold and the menorah of solid gold. Within the holy of holies the cherubim facing each other across the mercy seat were of pure gold. The value of the materials used in workmanship increase as we go up each degree of glory.

Within the telestrial kingdom are shown two major groups, those who are baptized and those who are not.

altar-sacrifice.jpg

From here arose like incense the savour of sacrifice unto the lord. This represents those who accept the sacrifice made by Christ on their behalf without accepting baptism itself. These are they who are ministered to by others.

laver.jpg

Within the bronze lavar was living water, the water of baptism. Herein the heavens were reflected. Washing here was necessary before entering the holy place. These are they who accept the need for sacrifice and the baptism of the lord. They minister to the unbaptized of the telestial kingdom. 

Edited by Average Joe

There has not been much comment and sometimes I think my comments may be interpreted in ways I did not intend.  I find the temple a most interesting place - unlike any other place on earth.  Besides being sacred the temple is a means for man to draw closer to G-d unlike any other means or place.  In short there are things that can be learned through temple worship that cannot be learned by any other means.

Part of temple worship is the study of ancient temples and the symbolism used - but I believe such study and worship is incomplete without the study and attendance of modern or contemporary temples.  I find the story of Jesus as a 12 year old boy involved in discussions at the temple most interesting.  And I wonder if perhaps it may be a good idea to visit the temple grounds for learning and discussion.

There has not been much comment and sometimes I think my comments may be interpreted in ways I did not intend.  I find the temple a most interesting place - unlike any other place on earth.  Besides being sacred the temple is a means for man to draw closer to G-d unlike any other means or place.  In short there are things that can be learned through temple worship that cannot be learned by any other means.

Part of temple worship is the study of ancient temples and the symbolism used - but I believe such study and worship is incomplete without the study and attendance of modern or contemporary temples.  I find the story of Jesus as a 12 year old boy involved in discussions at the temple most interesting.  And I wonder if perhaps it may be a good idea to visit the temple grounds for learning and discussion.

Fire away, I'm certain my comments often need to be taken with a grain of salt...if not a couple of advil ;)

The creation pattern is found through the bible and book of Mormon. And the creation pattern starting with Genesis chapter one is based on the temple pattern.

I try to get to the temple as often as I can and was in the Atlanta temple the last week of May, and will likely be in the Columbia temple before months end. I prefer private discussion, meditation and prayer in the celestial room to elsewhere on the temple grounds.  

Fire away, I'm certain my comments often need to be taken with a grain of salt...if not a couple of advil ;)

The creation pattern is found through the bible and book of Mormon. And the creation pattern starting with Genesis chapter one is based on the temple pattern.

I try to get to the temple as often as I can and was in the Atlanta temple the last week of May, and will likely be in the Columbia temple before months end. I prefer private discussion, meditation and prayer in the celestial room to elsewhere on the temple grounds.  

Some more thoughts about temple symbolism.  I think that we tend to think in literal terms and not realize that symbolism is being used so that we can begin to see things at many levels.  For example - I wonder if the "creation" taught in the temple is not really about the creation but that the creation as presented is symbolic of things that are related to what we think of as the creation but inclusive of so much more that relates to us - our participation in the creation and why there is a mediator to deal with the Father and Satan is necessary for man.

Some more thoughts about temple symbolism.  I think that we tend to think in literal terms and not realize that symbolism is being used so that we can begin to see things at many levels.  For example - I wonder if the "creation" taught in the temple is not really about the creation but that the creation as presented is symbolic of things that are related to what we think of as the creation but inclusive of so much more that relates to us - our participation in the creation and why there is a mediator to deal with the Father and Satan is necessary for man.

The temple session is highly symbolic. Those presented represent both individuals and titles/types. Men and women have role models in the biblical creation story of Adam and Eve, and in the bible they were told to be fruitful, multiply, and subdue the Earth.

This past general conference Elder Joseph W. Sitati of the seventy explained:

"To subdue the earth and have dominion over every living thing is to control these things so they fulfill the will of God as they serve the purposes of His children. Subduing includes gaining mastery over our own bodies. It does not include being helpless victims of these things or using them contrary to the will of God."  

The earth in Genesis chapter describes the creation of the earth according to the temple pattern. The earth is a living thing - to be viewed as a temple in the wilderness for it travels a course from its fall to its redemption. We, being of the dust of the earth, have our bodies called temples by the apostle Paul. I light of that I like to consider Luke 17:20-21:

"And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."

There are more thoughts along this line but I'm not sure this is the direction you were seeking to go. 

Edited by Average Joe