A couple of questions

The New Guy

Hi Everyone,

As the name states I'm very new to exploring the LDS church. I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the church's stance on people who were married and divorced outside of the church getting remarried?

2. I have some health issues which require me to take daily medication. I have read that the church is against drugs. Am I right in assuming the drugs the church is against are illegal narcotics and not prescription drugs?

Thanks,

TNG

prescription drugs are fine when taken as directed by your doctor. abuse of prescription drugs and/or use of illegal drugs is not.

The church strongly encourages marriage - especially being sealed to your spouse in the temple. Marriages and divorces occurring prior to membership in the church are not the business of the church except:

1. that a member is living up to the divorce decree (child support, alimony, ect.) Failure to take responsibility for legal obligations can affect temple worthiness...and perhaps membership dependent on certain circumstances.

2. Former spouses whom you had children with need to be noted in family history.  

Welcome to the site, and more importantly, welcome to the church! 

1. What is the church's stance on people who were married and divorced outside of the church getting remarried?

God and His church are very pro-marriage.  Unfortunately, due to the failures of man, divorce sometimes happens.  After that point, both former partners are free to date/marry someone else.

2. I have some health issues which require me to take daily medication. I have read that the church is against drugs. Am I right in assuming the drugs the church is against are illegal narcotics and not prescription drugs?

Correct.  The church is against recreational drug use (i.e. trashing your temple-body just for kicks), but very much for medically prescribed drugs (i.e. properly tending for your temple-body). 

Hi Everyone,

As the name states I'm very new to exploring the LDS church. I have a couple of questions.

Thanks,

TNG

1. generally applauded. With the fervent prayer that history won't repeat itself.

2. It's more against drug abuse/misuse. (which mostly inclues the illegal narcotics) and advisement for living healthily. but there are a few specific items we are told to avoid (and those tend to get the most attention).

So its not against medication per se... but if you develop an addiction to it it could become a problem for you.

Now might be a good time to get some knowledge on Eternal Marriage versus Earth-only marriage... but I'm not sure.

In any case, marriages not sealed in the temple are marriages for earth-only.  The LDS Church encourage those who have earth-only marriages to have that marriage sealed in the temple for eternity.

Edited by anatess