Barcoded Temple Recommends

People without recommends include distant non-member relatives who receive wedding invitations and travel hundreds of miles. With wedding gift in hand, they can be quite fussy when they are not allow in the temple especially when they provide the wedding invitation.

A great many homeless people would like to make the Temple their home. I had a nice "chat" with one washing up in the restroom in the community college after I had attended an evening class. They are known to live in large old churches where the upper stories have been abandoned for church use.

A fellow showed up at the Temple with a valid recommend and was turned away because he did not have an appointment and they could not accomodate his visit at that time. He insisted smartly, apologized, and then scheduled an appointment.

The Temple gets lots of calls from school teachers wanting to schedule class field trips to view the Temple.

Then there are people wanting to reserve rooms for musical recitals and non-member weddings.

The Washington DC Temple has a great visitor's center and many tourist want to view the Temple as well.

Why use barcodes? People do not know how to alter them.

People without recommends include distant non-member relatives who receive wedding invitations and travel hundreds of miles. With wedding gift in hand, they can be quite fussy when they are not allow in the temple especially when they provide the wedding invitation.

A great many homeless people would like to make the Temple their home. I had a nice "chat" with one washing up in the restroom in the community college after I had attended an evening class. They are known to live in large old churches where the upper stories have been abandoned for church use.

A fellow showed up at the Temple with a valid recommend and was turned away because he did not have an appointment and they could not accomodate his visit at that time. He insisted smartly, apologized, and then scheduled an appointment.

The Temple gets lots of calls from school teachers wanting to schedule class field trips to view the Temple.

Then there are people wanting to reserve rooms for musical recitals and non-member weddings.

The Washington DC Temple has a great visitor's center and many tourist want to view the Temple as well.

Why use barcodes? People do not know how to alter them.

What the heck are you getting at??? :dontknow: Do you have restless finger syndrome, where you just gotta type something, anything? What is your point? :blink:

Besides Bar-codes for tracking, pictures and retinal scans for identification purposes might be helpful as well

Yup, let's make fun of this as something the church is doing that is 'over the top'.

What is the big hang up about bar codes with some of you?

It is as simple as this. If a recommend is lost or taken back, it does happen, then that barcode is turned off, deny status.

Sure they can track how many times you go, how often and which temple you attend. I say "So what".

I don't know of a requirement that you attend so many times a year or "We will take your recommend back".

When I lived outside the US in a small country without a chapel, let alone a temple, I was able to attend only once a year. No one told me it endangered my membership by only attending once a year.

I see it as a computerized way to keep daily attendance records and also to prevent lost recommends from being used.

I would be interested in knowing how many that hold one are concerned about the loss of privacy that the church knows how often and where I attend the temple.

Ben Raines

It is as simple as this. If a recommend is lost or taken back, it does happen, then that barcode is turned off, deny status.

Sure they can track how many times you go, how often and which temple you attend. I say "So what".

I don't know of a requirement that you attend so many times a year or "We will take your recommend back".

When I lived outside the US in a small country without a chapel, let alone a temple, I was able to attend only once a year. No one told me it endangered my membership by only attending once a year.

I see it as a computerized way to keep daily attendance records and also to prevent lost recommends from being used.

I would be interested in knowing how many that hold one are concerned about the loss of privacy that the church knows how often and where I attend the temple.

Ben Raines

No concern at all. This isn't a big deal at all...

My temple recommend is the most precious thing I own. If the Lord says put a bar code, a picture, or a thumb print on it, it is okay with me. After all, it really belongs to Him and is only on loan to me as long as I live worthy to carry it. It is a gift from Him, it does not matter what it has on it, but how I use it or what I do with it, after He has so graciously given it to me.

Just my opinion

Josie

The new Temple Rec wil have a bar code on it....it will be your membership record number in that code....when swipped your name and memer number will come up......There is nothing wrong with this at all. I do believe you have until the end of this year to get it. I will be quite blunt here...if you don't like the idea....deal with it.... :)

Its not that I dont like it, I'm indifferent to it, i dont care one way or the other. I dont even have a temple recommend, so it will make no difference to me. I may have one in the future. If they have a barcode on it...they have barcode. I dont think its 'from the Lord' tho. Not everything like this is. Im sure its a practicality on the churches part.

Its not that I dont like it, I'm indifferent to it, i dont care one way or the other. I dont even have a temple recommend, so it will make no difference to me. I may have one in the future. If they have a barcode on it...they have barcode. I dont think its 'from the Lord' tho. Not everything like this is. Im sure its a practicality on the churches part.

before you go and say its not from the Lord.....you need to find out why we are using it...

Another view by Restless Fingers ( :blink: )

By using the barcode, you can be admitted quickly into the Temple. The barcodes records the names of everyone in the building.

If an emergency call comes into the Temple, the workers will know if you are there or not.....and where to find you. Or if you have finished your scheduled work and left.

If there is a weather warning and everyone needs to be taken to a place of safety, they will have the information to find everyone.

By using the barcode, you can be admitted quickly into the Temple. The barcodes records the names of everyone in the building.

If an emergency call comes into the Temple, the workers will know if you are there or not.....and where to find you. Or if you have finished your scheduled work and left.

If there is a weather warning and everyone needs to be taken to a place of safety, they will have the information to find everyone.

I agree with you!!!

I can see the fundies now:

"They have the mark of the BEAST!" "You won't be able to buy food in Utah without the card/mark!" :blink:

Okay, I grew up with Hal Lindsey's Late Great Planet Earth, and with movies like "Thief in the Night." Yes, it's the first thing that came to my mind.

There is just something disconcerting to me about a barcoded electronic pass into a sacred place. There's no logic to my thoughts here...just a gut reaction. I wonder if I'm alone? :blink:

What? We can't go to Hooter's? But they have great chicken wings. :)

Ben Raines

Really? :wow:

There is just something disconcerting to me about a barcoded electronic pass into a sacred place. There's no logic to my thoughts here...just a gut reaction. I wonder if I'm alone? :blink:

No, you aren't alone. I wouldn't worry about it though. Many churches have to worry about security/access (CNN reported a shooting in a church in Missouri today, but I don't think recommend-barcodes are going to keep someone who is that angry out). This is just a control. What happens in the temple is not secret, rather sacred and I would like to see that sacredness protected and not cheapened by people who would go there for the wrong reasons.

How will they know if you are still in the building? Do they scan your barcode on the way out?

If the Church is going to get serious about temple security, they need guards--perhaps armed--manning the counters at the entrance, not the old guys with bad eyesight. No offense to old guys with bad eyesight...my grandpa fits that description and he's an okay guy. :lol:

Maybe retinal scans & fingerprint readers! And to help prevent vandalism inside the temple, they could put in video cameras. The armed security guards could also patrol the building regularly, watching out for funny stuff. :P Yikes!

Dror

<div class='quotemain'>

How will they know if you are still in the building? Do they scan your barcode on the way out?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!