Mark Cuban's Rules

Guest MormonGator

All those are fantastic. Rule 12 is the most important. I've had terrible bosses that "motivated" by fear (than wondered why the turnover was so high) and I've had great bosses that made things fun and motivated by enjoyment. Imagine that: happy people do better at their jobs than unhappy people. 

I worked at an insurance company in college. Everyone hated one another, the bosses were mean (always threatening harsh punishment for the slightest "infraction") and the company had an aura of misery around it. HR would say they were "stumped" at why they couldn't keep anyone. Think hard. 

I worked at a women's clothing company in college as well-total opposite. The bosses held you accountable but they weren't jerks about it. They'd help you achieve goals and work with your schedule, work with personal life-it as great. One of the best jobs I ever had.  

Edited by MormonGator

Sales is more like a loaded gun.

If you can't handle fulfillment and post-sale service properly, you're handing the gun to a drunken chimpanzee.  It might push your financial issues out a bit, but they'll be right back and bigger than ever when customers start posting on Yelp, giving bad word-of-mouth, and suing.  Then you need the PR firm for damage control.

Seen way too many companies outsell their ability (or willingness) to serve, and end up going down the toilet in spectacular ways.  I've also worked for a couple of companies who reined in their sales efforts a lot after initial market exposure because word of mouth was catching up with their capacity, and by focusing hard on service, they even had to expand quite a bit in every department except sales and marketing as new customers just started showing up.

Think about how many brands regarded for exceptional qualty (and I'm even excluding the elite stuff most of us can't afford, like Lamborghini) have relatively tiny sales and marketing budgets.  You'll see Ralph Lauren ads in targeted media, but never anywhere near the level of saturation you see from Gap or Old Navy.  Same thing with Armani; the occasional "hey, don't forget we still exist" ad or a targeted one that's more of a new product announcement in a fashion or health magazine, but you're not bombarded with them during Big Bang Theory.