Help A Student, Please!

ciustudent

I am new to the forum and I am a student. !!Warning, I am a Christian :)

I am pursuing my Masters in Divinity and I have a class I am taking that I need some LDS perspective on. It is a worldview/culture class with some anthropology mixed in. I have a short set of questions that are completely non-threatening and contain no "hidden" agenda. I simply have to write a paper based on what I have learned from the class as it applies to how certain people groups think. Some of my classmates are studying Hispanics, some are studying teenagers, others are studying people in prison. I chose to study the LDS. So if you are willing to read these questions and answer them either on this thread or email them to me - [email protected] - I would be very appreciative!!! Your answers can be as long or as short as you like. I am very open and honest, so if you have any questions for me feel free to ask! The more LDS that participate the better! Oh, and you don't have to answer all the questions, just whatever you can!

How old are you?

How long have you been associated to the Mormon Faith?

Were you ever affiliated with any other type of Faith?

Will you describe your understanding of Creation?

How would you describe the character of God?

What do you believe about Jesus Christ?

What are your hopes for eternity?

Who was Joseph Smith and what role does he play in your understanding of Scripture?

What do you believe about the Bible? Is it on the same plain with the Book of Mormon?

Do you maintain ties to your ancestors in any way?

What teachings do you follow concerning marriage?

What role does your faith play in your political views?

Do you support Mitt Romney?

Do you have a family doctor?

Apologies, did not mean to offend! I am not very good at this! What I meant was that I am not a LDS. CIU is a non-denominational, evangelical university. You can check us out - www.ciu.edu - I meant nothing harmful by "people" groups, I am truly not a harmful or vindictive person. I wish not to offend.

Warning: I'm not exactly LDS in the fullest sense, so you may not want my responses...

How old are you?

Depends on your definition of "associated," but I guess 27 Years (give-or-take)

If by "affiliated" you mean an official member, then no. If by "affiliated" you mean studied and/or attended gatherings/meetings, etc., then yes.

The closest thing would probably be Theistic Evolution. Although I think the "theistic" element was probably rather benign for most of it.

All that is good that is within us and much that is good that we have yet to understand nor comprehend.

In my moments of belief, I believe Him to be YHWH (in most instances, although I think the OT authors jumbled Him and Eloheim up a bit sometimes), the only-begotton Son of G-d (in the flesh that is), the great I AM, the Savior of mankind. That and He's my brother.

In my moments of disbelief. A very wise man.

That there is one.

Who was Joseph Smith and what role does he play in your understanding of Scripture?

In my moments of belief, he was a prophet of G-d. He plays a somewhat significant role in my understanding of scripture. There have been some non-LDS scholars who believe a closer look should be taken at Joseph in biblical studies. I think if nothing else, he had an amazing understanding of the bible and many could learn from him if they would just but their dogmatic ideologies and pride aside.

What do you believe about the Bible?

It has truth mixed in with error.

Is it on the same plain with the Book of Mormon?

Yep.

Could you clarify this?

Not married. But when I do, I will try to follow the same as Adam and Eve (i.e. eternally man and wife).

Little.

No.

Yes.

No, my purpose is not to try to convert mormons. I simply want to understand the worldview of different individuals who are members of the LDS. Everyone in the world has a worldview, a certain way they understand the world, their perspective on life and things around them.

Warning: I'm not exactly LDS in the fullest sense, so you may not want my responses...

How old are you?

Depends on your definition of "associated," but I guess 27 Years (give-or-take)

If by "affiliated" you mean an official member, then no. If by "affiliated" you mean studied and/or attended gatherings/meetings, etc., then yes.

The closest thing would probably be Theistic Evolution. Although I think the "theistic" element was probably rather benign for most of it.

All that is good that is within us and much that is good that we have yet to understand nor comprehend.

In my moments of belief, I believe Him to be YHWH (in most instances, although I think the OT authors jumbled Him and Eloheim up a bit sometimes), the only-begotton Son of G-d (in the flesh that is), the great I AM, the Savior of mankind. That and He's my brother.

In my moments of disbelief. A very wise man.

That there is one.

In my moments of belief, he was a prophet of G-d. He plays a somewhat significant role in my understanding of scripture. There have been some non-LDS scholars who believe a closer look should be taken at Joseph in biblical studies. I think if nothing else, he had an amazing understanding of the bible and many could learn from him if they would just but their dogmatic ideologies and pride aside.

What do you believe about the Bible?

It has truth mixed in with error.

Is it on the same plain with the Book of Mormon?

Yep.

Could you clarify this?

Not married. But when I do, I will try to follow the same as Adam and Eve (i.e. eternally man and wife).

Little.

No.

Yes.

Thanks Doc!

No, my purpose is not to try to convert mormons. I simply want to understand the worldview of different individuals who are members of the LDS. Everyone in the world has a worldview, a certain way they understand the world, their perspective on life and things around them.

OK. I just didn't want you think this was going to be EASY. After all, it is called "homeWORK".

yedi,

You believe the LDS is the one true church, yes? Meaning that all other "churches" are not really churches at all?

I believe you're confusing the LDS Church with the recent Catholic delcaration regarding what "churches" are.

But, as far as "one true church" goes; the Lord's words are a bit more complex than these three simple words. I suggest reading D&C 1.

Edited to add:

I still need you to clarify this question:

doc,

That question is a broad question about your dead relatives. There is no wrong answer really. Whatever comes to mind when you think about ancestors. Do you still pray for them? Why or why not? Hope that helps!

Thank you for the clarification. The way the question was worded, I wasn't sure if you were asking if I tried to summon them from the dead with crazy voodoo while sacrificing chickens in my underwear or what.

I respect my dead relatives (at least from what I know of them), and the sacrifices they made. But no, I don't "pray for them." They're probably a lot closer to G-d right now than I am, so I'm guessing they have a more direct line (they probably have a cable-modem while I’m still trying to figure out how to use dial-up)...

How old are you?

18 years (born into it).

No.

First there was a spiritual creation, followed by the physical creation. How this was accomplished, I have yet to decide. It was most certainly by the power of God (specifically Jesus Christ), but as to the specifics, I'm open to many scientific theories.

Kind and loving. His only wish is for us, His children, to return to Him.

That he is Jehova, the only begotten Son of our Father in Heaven. He was a living example for us, and through his Atonement we may all be saved.

That families are indeed forever. That everyone will indeed be resurrected into perfected bodies. And finally, that I may stand blameless before God at the judgment seat, having taken full advantage of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and having lived my life in a way reflective of the life of Christ.

Joseph Smith, Jr. was the Prophet of the Restoration. He was called by God to restore His true church to the Earth. His role in scriptures is one I am truly grateful for. His revelations have spared me the confusion of doctrine that has become so apparent in today's world. He has also helped me understand that when moved upon by the Holy Ghost, a man's words and thoughts are as good as those written within the sacred texts.

What do you believe about the Bible? Is it on the same plain with the Book of Mormon?

I believe that the majority of it is inspired, and is indeed the Word of God. However, I believe that for a full understanding of it, one must have it coupled with the Book of Mormon and other LDS canon. I believe that the Book of Mormon is written specifically for the latter days, and is indeed the most true book on Earth, but I would hesitate to say that it's on a different plain than the Bible, as they are both the Word of God.

I'm not entirely sure what this question is asking but... I can certainly relate to my ancestors. And I am truly grateful for the sacrifices they made. Edward Partridge is the most well-known of my ancestors, but I feel a connection with all of them (once I've discovered them, of course). I love to learn about their lives and their stories. It gives me a new outlook for my own life.

I strongly desire to be married in the Temple. I feel that settling for anything but that would be a mockery towards my Father in Heaven, as I am fully capable of entering the temple and finding a wife who could do the same. Plus, I just can't imagine anything but eternal marriage. If love is forever, shouldn't the marriage be as well?

As the church favors no political party, I maintain beliefs consistent with church doctrine while thinking through the issues for myself. Currently I am a moderate-liberal, so I don't really fall into the mold of the church's unofficial party. I really feel that when people think things through, they'll discover that their views are not tied to one party exclusively. Neither the Democrats nor the Republicans have it all right, that's for sure.

I haven't quite decided yet, but I'm leaning towards a "no."

Nope.

I am pursuing my Masters in Divinity and I have a class I am taking that I need some LDS perspective on. It is a worldview/culture class with some anthropology mixed in. I have a short set of questions that are completely non-threatening and contain no "hidden" agenda. I simply have to write a paper based on what I have learned from the class as it applies to how certain people groups think. Some of my classmates are studying Hispanics, some are studying teenagers, others are studying people in prison. I chose to study the LDS. So if you are willing to read these questions and answer them either on this thread or email them to me - [email protected] - I would be very appreciative!!! Your answers can be as long or as short as you like. I am very open and honest, so if you have any questions for me feel free to ask! The more LDS that participate the better! Oh, and you don't have to answer all the questions, just whatever you can!

How old are you?

If you don't have the answers, where did you get the questions?

<div class='quotemain'>

How old are you?

If you don't have the answers, where did you get the questions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropology

Here is a definition of anthropology, there are no right answers its what you feel about them that matters. The person conducting the study should not influence them instead should observe the culture he is studying.

-Charley

You believe the LDS is the one true church, yes? Meaning that all other "churches" are not really churches at all?

I dislike your question. I want you to know that most of the pan-denominationals I have met, like yourself, do not consider the faith I belong to a church, but rather a cult. As such, I reciprocate. If one considers my faith a legitimate religion, then I do the same for them.

LDS are niether brain-washed cultists or unengaged Sunday-only church goers (for the most part). Thinking otherwise will only lead to a misunderstanding that LDS are not Chr-stians as you claim you are.

Regarding the "One True" bit, I buy into that as well. Are there truths in other faiths? Yes, but often the truths in other faiths are incomplete or actually based on philosophy inherited from the Greeks, Romans, and others.

Are there truths in other faiths? Yes, but often the truths in other faiths are incomplete or actually based on philosophy inherited from the Greeks, Romans, and others.

Joseph had this to say:

"Have the Presbyterians any truth? Yes. Have the Baptists, Methodists, etc., any truth? Yes. They all have a little truth mixed with error. We should gather all the good and true principles in the world and treasure them up, or we shall not come out true "Mormons."

History of the Church 5:517

It's like I always say (okay, not always):

The LDS Church doesn't have a copyright on Truth, but we have a fulness of it.

I think you'd really like some of Terryl Givens' statements from the FAIR conference regarding finding and searching for truth. It's in the most recent issue of the Church News (article is by Scott Lloyd).