What Are We To Do Now?

sixpacktr

Check out this article, from the Sydney Morning Herald...

Imagine if the American government agency responsible for temperature records had announced a fortnight ago that it had overestimated annual temperatures since the year 2000. Imagine if, at the time of correcting this error, the hottest year on record was mysteriously altered from 1998 to 1934. Imagine further that if you considered the 10 hottest years on record after these corrections, the hottest decade changed from the 1990s to the 1930s.

Would that change your views on global warming? It should, because climate change theory says increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere raises the temperature. Yet the hot 1930s was hardly a decade of carbon-spewing industrial growth.

Well, all these things have happened. NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies calculates the average US temperature figures. It does this by processing data from land measurement sites. Earlier this year a Canadian mathematician named Steve McIntyre approached the institute and pointed out an error in its more recent calculations. Figures since 2000 had been inflated by about 0.15 of a degree celsius.

The institute thanked him and on August 7 quietly changed these figures, and some of the rankings on its list of the hottest years on record, which extends back to 1880. It did this without any public acknowledgment of the changes.

The Goddard Institute is a major supporter of the climate change orthodoxy, and the discovery that it got one of the central data sets of global warming science and debate wrong is embarrassing and disturbing.

Previously, McIntyre, along with the economist Ross McKitrick, had demolished the so-called "hockey stick" chart used in the third report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. The graph incorrectly portrayed the history of the Earth's average temperature over the past millennium as essentially unchanged until a steep climb in the 20th century. This made a modest rise in temperature appear far more unusual than it really was.

The two men had difficulty gaining access to the data and methodologies used in creating the hockey stick, a difficulty facing many who want to question the most basic research on which the science of climate change rests. It was McIntyre's continuing interest in such basic questions, pursued publicly at his blog climateaudit.org, that led him to look at the problematic siting of many US land weather stations (see photos of them at the website SurfaceStations.org) and how the data they produce is processed.

Strange as it might seem in a scientific field that spends some $6.4 billion a year on often abstruse research and computer modelling, the integrity of the basic temperature data is emerging as a serious problem. The Goddard Institute claims to correct data from poorly sited stations, but McIntyre says it refused to tell him how it does this in sufficient detail for him to check its results. When he obtained some of the raw data from specific sites and compared it with the processed temperatures created by the institute, he found problems. In one case data from a good site, at the Grand Canyon, had been changed to make the 1930s colder than they were.

Across the Atlantic, the British mathematician Douglas Keenan has claimed that two important academic papers on the reliability of Chinese weather stations are wrong. This is a major issue because one of the papers is cited by the IPCC to support its position that measurement errors owing to urbanisation and the "heat island effect" - which makes cities warmer than their surroundings - are insignificant. Keenan claims to have discovered that some of the Chinese stations have been moved a lot. One, for example, had five different locations from 1954 to 1983, over a distance of 41 kilometres. This makes the data largely useless.

It took several years to gain access to the information needed to reveal this fault with the papers, because the academics involved refused to release it. Keenan finally obtained it by the creative means of using Britain's Freedom of Information Act, on the grounds that an academic who had the information was a public servant.

The climate change establishment is represented by the website realclimate.org. Its response to McIntyre's success in getting the Goddard Institute to reduce US temperature figures for the period since 2000 has been to say that the implication for global averages is imperceptible, since the US is only a very small fraction of the global area. Strictly speaking this is correct, although America's figures are more important than its land area might indicate because they go back so far in an unbroken line, which is fairly unusual.

Since the break-up of the USSR, the number of weather stations in the world has declined by half. Many of them used to be in cold areas. The scientists who compile global averages presumably try to take this into account - although in light of some of the above stories you have to wonder just how well they succeed.

Whatever the scientific implications of McIntyre's revelation, the rhetorical one is huge. America is the centre of the global debate on climate change. No longer will Americans or anyone else be able to say the hottest year on record in their great nation was 1998. Looking at the new top 10, it's hard to see any signs of global warming. The ranking, starting from the hottest year, goes: 1934, 1998, 1921, 2006, 1931, 1999, 1953, 1990, 1938, 1939.

It's a sad thought, but maybe we and our weather are not as unusual as some want to believe.

Wow, so before Pres Bush was even a glimmer in his daddy's eye the earth was warmer than now??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This makes no sense:

Imagine if the American government agency responsible for temperature records had announced a fortnight ago that it had overestimated annual temperatures since the year 2000. Imagine if, at the time of correcting this error, the hottest year on record was mysteriously altered from 1998 to 1934. Imagine further that if you considered the 10 hottest years on record after these corrections, the hottest decade changed from the 1990s to the 1930s.

If an error had begun starting with the year 2000, this would not effect 1998, nor the 1990s for that matter.

Check out this article, from the Sydney Morning Herald...

<snip>

Whatever the scientific implications of McIntyre's revelation, the rhetorical one is huge. America is the centre of the global debate on climate change. No longer will Americans or anyone else be able to say the hottest year on record in their great nation was 1998. Looking at the new top 10, it's hard to see any signs of global warming. The ranking, starting from the hottest year, goes: 1934, 1998, 1921, 2006, 1931, 1999, 1953, 1990, 1938, 1939.

It's a sad thought, but maybe we and our weather are not as unusual as some want to believe.

Wow, so before Pres Bush was even a glimmer in his daddy's eye the earth was warmer than now??

The 1934 hottest year record only applies to the United States. It does not apply to the globe.

Since global warming is the real issue, 1998 remains tied with 2005 as the hottest years on record.

According to an article in the The Los Angeles Times:

"A slight adjustment to U.S. temperature records has bumped 1998 as the hottest year in the country's history and made the Dust Bowl year of 1934 the new record holder, according to NASA.

"But the re-ranking did not affect global records, and 1998 remains tied with 2005 as the hottest year on record, climatologist Gavin A. Schmidt of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York said Tuesday.

"The data adjustment changes "the inconsequential bragging rights for certain years in the U.S.," he said. But "global warming is a global issue, and the global numbers show that there is no question that the last five to 10 years have been the hottest period of the last century."

Hottest Year in United States Record

Elphaba

I don't think it matters, we should be looking after the Earth God gave us no matter what is happening to it - I feel that is a covenant I have made with him.

-Charley

I agree with this. I think the pattern of nay-saying by American conservatives is much like the three monkeys or the claim and proclaim evangelicals who deny just to deny. The actuality of increasing planet temperatures, not recognizing it, and doing nothing will be one of the ways that humanity destroys itself when it has the ability to do something. I think we aught to be doing what we can to improve the environment of the entire planet. As the leading producer of pollution, the US should be up and doing instead of putting a bag over our heads and still claiming to see fine.

Are we the only polluters? No, but we are the worse especially when we are the ones who are capable of doing something about it.

<div class='quotemain'>

I don't think it matters, we should be looking after the Earth God gave us no matter what is happening to it - I feel that is a covenant I have made with him.

-Charley

I agree with this. I think the pattern of nay-saying by American conservatives is much like the three monkeys or the claim and proclaim evangelicals who deny just to deny. The actuality of increasing planet temperatures, not recognizing it, and doing nothing will be one of the ways that humanity destroys itself when it has the ability to do something. I think we aught to be doing what we can to improve the environment of the entire planet. As the leading producer of pollution, the US should be up and doing instead of putting a bag over our heads and still claiming to see fine.

Are we the only polluters? No, but we are the worse especially when we are the ones who are capable of doing something about it.Hi Aaron,

I agree with everything you said. I just wanted to point out, however, that China is, I believe, the major polluter on the planet. It is really horrible there.

I take your point, though, that the U.S. could be doing so much more than it is.

Elphaba

According to the "green house affect", we are producing much heat from the use of air conditioning and refrigeration. Vehicle usage which has been a great concern and has greatly been improved is becoming a secondary concern. Home usage of air conditioning and refrigeration are not nearly the concern as is the usage of these units in industrial use such as producing electricity.

The laws of physical nature replenishes the earth's environmental structure and we do not have the means to justify or alter the course of such action.

We do know that living the gospel is the only means of Salvation from those things that bring us concern.

World's 10 Worst Pollution Spots

NEW YORK, New York, October 18, 2006 (ENS) - The world's 10 most polluted places threaten the health of more than 10 million people in eight countries, according to a report released today by a U.S. environmental action group. Three of the most polluted sites are in Russia, the report said, with the remaining seven located in China, Dominican Republic, India, Kyrgyzstan, Peru, Ukraine and Zambia.

The report was released by the Blacksmith Institute and compiled by a team of international environment and health experts, including researchers from Johns Hopkins University, Mt. Sinai Medical Center and City University of New York.

"A key criterion in the selection process was the nature of the pollutant," said Richard Fuller, director of Blacksmith Institute. "The biggest culprits are heavy metals - such as lead, chromium and mercury - and long-lasting chemicals - such as the `persistent organic pollutants.' That's because a particular concern of all these cases is the accumulating and long lasting burden building up in the environment and in the bodies of the people most directly affected.

Another article. World Health Organization is probably a US front for misleading information.

<H3 class=post-title>WHO: The Best and Worst Countries on Environment </H3>Posted ImageA recent report by WHO put together data from 192 countries to determine the health and environmental risk to its citizens. The study looked at air and water pollution, farming practices, noise pollution, climate change, the ecosystem, UV radiation and hazards involved with the workplace.

Here’s what they found:

- Worst countries: Angola, Burkina Faso, Mali and Afghanistan

- Best countries: Iceland, Israel, Italy, Germany, Spain, France, Britain and the US

- In 23 countries, 10 percent of deaths are blamed on unsafe water and indoor air pollution

- Low income countries suffer more than high income countries, losing 20 times more healthy years per person each year.

- All countries are affected by environmental health factors.

I agree with everything you said. I just wanted to point out, however, that China is, I believe, the major polluter on the planet. It is really horrible there.

El,

I suffered through eight yellow winds from Gobe Samak and I can say that China is a major polluter as is the rest of Asia. There is a river in South Korea that glows in the dark with the pollutants dumped into it from companies that export primarily to us. My understanding is that the US still far outstrips China as to the production of water and airborne pollutants, but I may be wrong.

The next thing about this pollution is that most of it is from industry that targets the American market, so indirectly we are still the ones generating this pollution, we just outsourced it.

After living in Asia for so long though I know they are amazingly defensive and refuse to change until we do. They also will not change unless the American market forces them to. Profits are where the Asian rice bowl is and those profits all come from us. When we decide to require change through market strength then Asia will change. This requires us to change. Not changing makes us culpable in the destruction of the only home we have.

(Edited)

Ben: I like the work you have done. You obviously know more then I do. This however does not change the fact most of the pollution produced by these nations comes from trying to serve the demands of the combined American and European markets.

Aaron the Ogre

World's 10 Worst Pollution Spots

NEW YORK, New York, October 18, 2006 (ENS) - The world's 10 most polluted places threaten the health of more than 10 million people in eight countries, according to a report released today by a U.S. environmental action group. Three of the most polluted sites are in Russia, the report said, with the remaining seven located in China, Dominican Republic, India, Kyrgyzstan, Peru, Ukraine and Zambia.

The report was released by the Blacksmith Institute and compiled by a team of international environment and health experts, including researchers from Johns Hopkins University, Mt. Sinai Medical Center and City University of New York.

"A key criterion in the selection process was the nature of the pollutant," said Richard Fuller, director of Blacksmith Institute. "The biggest culprits are heavy metals - such as lead, chromium and mercury - and long-lasting chemicals - such as the `persistent organic pollutants.' That's because a particular concern of all these cases is the accumulating and long lasting burden building up in the environment and in the bodies of the people most directly affected.

Another article. World Health Organization is probably a US front for misleading information.

<H3 class=post-title>WHO: The Best and Worst Countries on Environment </H3>Posted ImageA recent report by WHO put together data from 192 countries to determine the health and environmental risk to its citizens. The study looked at air and water pollution, farming practices, noise pollution, climate change, the ecosystem, UV radiation and hazards involved with the workplace.

Here’s what they found:

- Worst countries: Angola, Burkina Faso, Mali and Afghanistan

- Best countries: Iceland, Israel, Italy, Germany, Spain, France, Britain and the US

- In 23 countries, 10 percent of deaths are blamed on unsafe water and indoor air pollution

- Low income countries suffer more than high income countries, losing 20 times more healthy years per person each year.

- All countries are affected by environmental health factors.

Hi Ben,

So the WHO didn't even list China? That is strange.

Elphaba

Ben,

I wonder if the list of worse polluters is based on population. None of those nations have large populations. I wonder what the numbers would be if they were calculated based on volume.

I am not trying to excuse their pollution, but I think statisticians have skewed the data a little.

(Edited)

I found the following article:

China racing to be world's worst polluter

By Antoaneta Bezlova

BEIJING - China has delayed the release of a long-expected national plan on tackling global warming amid warnings that the country is set to overtake the United States as the world's biggest source of greenhouse gases this year - much earlier than forecast - because of its runaway economic growth.

It is the second time this month that Chinese officials have deferred the release of the anticipated public information. Earlier, national statisticians delayed the publication of quarterly data about the country's economic growth, announcing consequently that China's growth increased unexpectedly by 11.1% in the first three months of 2007 . . .

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/ID27Ad01.html

I know we are trying to improve our pollution record, but even if China does over take us, does that mean we should quit?

After living in Asia for so long though I know they are amazingly defensive and refuse to change until we do. Aaron the Ogre

Yes, this is my understanding as well. I don't understand it, because quite a few people, and not just children and older people, are dying from respiratory diseases. But it was clear they "refused" to do anything. Very sad.

Elphaba

<div class='quotemain'>After living in Asia for so long though I know they are amazingly defensive and refuse to change until we do. Aaron the Ogre

Yes, this is my understanding as well. I don't understand it, because quite a few people, and not just children and older people, are dying from respiratory diseases. But it was clear they "refused" to do anything. Very sad.

Elphaba

This is the difficult part of the dialogue. South Koreans say we are the older brother that they will follow. They put the responsibility on us. The Chinese think that if we screwed up the environment in order to grow and modernize, then they should be given the same courtesy.

I dislike both excuses, but then I'm an American and I think differently (not better, just differently).

The government environmentalist have been urging all communities across America to upgrade their waste water systems which are regulated by law. The problem is that no one wants to pay for it. All believe that it should be paid for the the federal government.

While the debates heat up so is the planet.

About May time we had unseasonally hot weather, at 25 degrees or so from the beginning of April. We were so looking forward to a hot summer. All the global warming people were jumping on the bandwagon saying how its getting hotter etc. After those two weeks it has been the worst summer I can ever remember, people are saying its even the worst summer in England on record. Its mid August, should be the highest temperatures of the year, yet today it was a pathetic 13 degrees. I cant believe it, weve been cheated out of a summer. I cant wait till next month when were going to spain for some long awaited sunshine!!!!

About May time we had unseasonally hot weather, at 25 degrees or so from the beginning of April. We were so looking forward to a hot summer. All the global warming people were jumping on the bandwagon saying how its getting hotter etc. After those two weeks it has been the worst summer I can ever remember, people are saying its even the worst summer in England on record. Its mid August, should be the highest temperatures of the year, yet today it was a pathetic 13 degrees. I cant believe it, weve been cheated out of a summer. I cant wait till next month when were going to spain for some long awaited sunshine!!!!

Well if we had a measly 13 degrees (Fahrenheit that is) here in Utah, I think every one would think the end is near.

<div class='quotemain'>

Well if we had a measly 13 degrees (Fahrenheit that is) here in Utah, I think every one would think the end is near.I was going to say the same thing. You want hot? Move to Utah. Bleh. (I am extremely heat-intolerant, so I hate the heat. Yes, I know I'm a freak. ;) )

You're not talking 13 degrees F are you?

Where are you that it's so cool?

Elphaba

[i just think because someone is a bigger polluter is no excuse for not trying reduce our own carbon footprint on the planet, Its like saying its OK to have a little extramarital sex and go to the temple because someone down thr road is constantly at it with everyone.

We know that car fumes pollute - have youever visited Athens? we know its not good for our lungs. We already know enough without adding in global warming to know that we should be urging our politicians to do what they can and to what we can ourselves. We know that a company like Mon Santo (sp??) is not going to deal right with starving people in Africa -so why take the chance on GM crops etc - we know that disposable diapers cook little boys bits and the chemicals smell so why not use cloth ? Every single person can make small efforts - and its my efforts I will be held accountable by the Lord, not what a polictican in China did.

And whilst it hasn't been the hottest summer Aphrodite you may be struggling down in England but Scotland sees the effects of Global Warming every year - in the 1950s snow in my area would be banked up on the side of the road from Februrary through to April/May - this year we got 3 days worth, and past few years summer has been lousy however September thru toOctober has been really war, Ihaven't been turning my heating back on until Christmas time for years.

-Charley

<div class='quotemain'>we know that disposable diapers cook little boys bits

:ahhh:

Elphie

I know. I'm going to email the church about garments. What could be hiding there?

I agree to a certain point with you G. I want to note that there is more than personal consciensciousness. There has to be point where we step up and make requirements of society even if they think it is okay the burn the planet down.

I ride a bike everywhere I go except when I need to buy the monthly groceries (I then use Heffa my truck) or go to Salt Lake (go go-go go UTA-the worst bus service in the world). When the service is available, I recycle. I also do not use AC unless it is unbearable at night and in the winter I keep the heater at 60(f-for everyone who uses the other system). However, people tend to be less the caring about the environment and this is when people and companies need legislative controls. I would love to see SUVs and all Pick-ups pay a luxury tax based on annual mileage, weight, real gas-mileage, and color (maybe then we'll get rid of the ugly Red Dodges that clog-up the roads) to the tune of double the original value spread over five years. People who drive them less pay less, people who drive more, pay more. People who insist on driving the giant vehicles, will then pay more. People who insist on driving the biggest gas-hogs pay more. This should also be applied to large sedans like Cadillac, Lincoln, RR and all sports-cars.

I like cars, but there has to be a way to control their impact on the environment. The nice thing is that if you don't drive, then you don't pay. What should the taxes be used for? Education.

I would love to see SUVs and all Pick-ups pay a luxury tax based on annual mileage, weight, real gas-mileage, and color (maybe then we'll get rid of the ugly Red Dodges that clog-up the roads) to the tune of double the original value spread over five years. People who drive them less pay less, people who drive more, pay more. People who insist on driving the giant vehicles, will then pay more. People who insist on driving the biggest gas-hogs pay more. This should also be applied to large sedans like Cadillac, Lincoln, RR and all sports-cars.

I like cars, but there has to be a way to control their impact on the environment. The nice thing is that if you don't drive, then you don't pay. What should the taxes be used for? Education.

What typical lib environmentalist solution..tax it. It will do nothing substantial to solve the problem, but hey we can raise more money and use it grow government even more :idea:

If you want to drive a 4 door electric lawn mower (aka a prius)....fine...but keep your filthy hands off other peoples vehicles and wallets.

And before you write me off as some big SUV owning nut, please know that my 2007 Focus SES, has a PZEV engine, and has less emissions then even some hybrids out there.

What typical lib environmentalist solution..tax it. It will do nothing substantial to solve the problem, but hey we can raise more money and use it grow government even more :idea:-Good point, but else should we do? Say no and slap their naughty little hands.

If you want to drive a 4 door electric lawn mower (aka a prius)....fine...but keep your filthy hands off other peoples vehicles and wallets. -Stop giving me emphysema.

And before you write me off as some big SUV owning nut, please know that my 2007 Focus SES, has a PZEV engine, and has less emissions then even some hybrids out there. -Very cool. I like those.

I won't call you an SUV owning nut, if you promise to never call me a liberal again. I really hate labeling, reductionism, and name-calling. :) :) :) Hating pollution isn't liberal and hating big government isn't conservative and can't someone hate both?

And if you don't like the tax, how are we going to get people to voluntarily stop driving their tanks?

Folks, that man is causing GW is a myth! Stop drinking the kool aid! Read Junkscience.com if you want the real stories, not the ones that the far left media and Uncle Algore prattle on about.

This had absolutely nothing to do with 'saving the earth'. It has everything to do with destroying western culture, mainly the US, because the libs are control freaks that want everyone else to do what they feel (yes FEEL) is right...They failed to have us fall to the Soviets and the utopia that is communism, so they have moved to propagandizing the youth with this piffle that we bad Americans are making the Earth to warm up. Cows make more methane than anything else, and it is far worse the CO2.

The sun makes the earth warm, not cars.

We are here to take care of the earth to the best of our ability, but that doesn't mean we have to go 'Amish' in order to do so. And whether some of you agree or not, it doesn't matter to me, but if the US falls, so will the rest of the civilized world. You can take that to the bank. As 'chic' as it is to be anti-American, ask those countries in Europe that give us the most grief if they really want us to be as soft as they are, if they really want us to destroy our economy for some wooded owl. They know better than to agree with that. What with Russia starting up again, China will be a problem soon enough, they don't want us to fail now.

I won't call you an SUV owning nut, if you promise to never call me a liberal again. I really hate labeling, reductionism, and name-calling.

Deal. ;)

hating big government isn't conservative

Thats obvious with most of our elected so called "conservative Republicans". I still have yet to see a good explanation as to why Bush can call himself a conservative, when he grew government more in his first term then Clinton did in two terms.

And if you don't like the tax, how are we going to get people to voluntarily stop driving their tanks?

You don't make people do anything. Let the market handle it. The tax idea to me is has four big flaws.

1. A lot of lower income people don't drive these big vehicles for the fun of it. They need them for work related purposes, or in the case of larger SUVs and cars, they need them to haul around their huge families. Now you could counter this by saying that large families would be better suited with something like a minivan. Though this really isn't a solution as some minivans now are coming with such large v6's that they nearly match the gas miliege and emmisons of most v6 SUVs

2. Higher income buyers (by that I mean much higher income), won't be bothered by the tax much. These are the people that go out and buy cars that don't car about a price tag at all, and they could care less if this vehicle gets 8mpg and takes premium fuel.

3. Safety. Larger vehicles are safer, period. Many are willing to pay a premium price, and get 10-15mpg for a safer vehicle.

4. What defines these vehicles? All sports cars? Is a 4cyl Mitsubishi Eclipse that gets almost 40mpg still a sports car? Do we let someone just arbitrarily decide what vehicles to tax and which one not to? The only constant value you could use is EPA MPG estimates, which are known to horribly inaccurate. Our current gas guzzler tax is based on EPA MPG, but vehicles over 6,000 lbs are exempt from EPA MPG testing, so they are not even counted.

The solution lies somewhere in the private market place to produce vehicles that can meet peoples needs and be efficient. The government should not be trying to solve anything. Most of the time when the government tries to solve something, they only exacerbate the problem. If someone could produce a 300+ hp v8 that gets 30 or 40mpg, they would make bill gates look like a panhandler.

CAFE standards are set to get even higher in the next few years, though that will just force the automakers to make little cars that few people will drive in order to produce their bigger vehicles.

Overall though engines have been getting more efficient. I just got my new Focus a few months ago compared to my older focus:

My 02: 110hp, 28-32 mpg 2.4L

My 07: 136hp, 34-38 mpg 2.0L

The 07 also red lines at a lot higher rpms (important to those of us that like to drive manuals)