How long would you wait for an appointment?

Backroads

This is part vent, be warned.

Today is a family wedding. I realized I had scheduled a hair appointment months ago, before the engagement. But the appointment is in the afternoon before the reception. Surely I can squeeze it in.

However, as I feared due to past experience, she is currently running 45 minutes behind and I have about an hour. She's great with my hair, but has time issues.

I'm presently waiting trying to decide the right way to leave, if I should leave.

Decisively.  I would say decisively, one way or the other.  I think that would be the way. 

You have to weigh and balance and determine if you want to go without the hair style or just be late for the reception.

How close to the wedding participants are you?  Brother or sister or just casual acquaintance? 

All the peripheral and classy people come in late anyway.

But if you were to serve the cake or anything, just put a bandana on your head and go.  (And roll up your sleeves)

dc

Edited by David13

I'd call her to ask if she's running on time and tell her the situation. Then conspicuously look at my watch or phone throughout the appointment. LOL

ETA: Do I understand from your OP that she's already 45 minutes behind? I wouldn't risk it. 

Edited by Eowyn

Guest LiterateParakeet

You had an appointment and she is 45 minutes behind?!  Wowzer!  I would find someone else.  The whole point of making an appointment is so you don't have to wait 30 minutes or more.

Recently, I found a new stylist that I liked (note the past tense).  On my second appointment with her, she was not there and someone else in the salon said she ran an errand and would be "right back".  I said ok and sat down.  When she was 15 minutes late, I got up and walked out.  I won't be going back.  If she was there, doing hair and 15-20 minutes late I wouldn't have minded so much, but to not even be around?  Um, no.  And if she was like your person and 45 min. late.  Heck no.  

BTW...I wondered in hindsight if I had been unreasonable, so I asked a friend who is a hair stylist.  She agreed with me that it was wrong for her not to be there at the appointment time.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

For me time is more precious than money.  When I make an appointment I expect it to happen when it was scheduled.  I realize that there can be circumstances that cause delay.  If I am going to be late I inform those involved as soon as I realize there will be a problem.  This is to determine if it is necessary to reschedule or not.  I expect the same.  If I have an appointment with someone running behind - I expect to be notified.  I believe being on time is an element of kindness, respect, honor and truth.  I understand there are occasions that one cannot be on time - but not as a life style.  I would be less likely to deal with someone that did not respect my time than someone that did not respect my money.  I will not do business with someone that does not respect my time nor do I expect them to do business with me if I do not respect their time.  Like I said - time to me is more of an issue that money. 

All that said I will make exceptions.  My bishop and others in the church are part of my exceptions (for church things only).  My bishop because I realize his time is seldom his own - and others in the church just because for some flawed and silly reason - our church culture allows time to be greatly disrespected.

The Traveler

2 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

You had an appointment and she is 45 minutes behind?!  Wowzer!  I would find someone else.  The whole point of making an appointment is so you don't have to wait 30 minutes or more.

Recently, I found a new stylist that I liked (note the past tense).  On my second appointment with her, she was not there and someone else in the salon said she ran an errand and would be "right back".  I said ok and sat down.  When she was 15 minutes late, I got up and walked out.  I won't be going back.  If she was there, doing hair and 15-20 minutes late I wouldn't have minded so much, but to not even be around?  Um, no.  And if she was like your person and 45 min. late.  Heck no.  

BTW...I wondered in hindsight if I had been unreasonable, so I asked a friend who is a hair stylist.  She agreed with me that it was wrong for her not to be there at the appointment time.

Not only were you not unreasonable, your choice was highly reasonable.  To improve one's ability to keep a schedule is a simple matter - track your time.  Figure out when the appointment started, when it ended, make notes about the individual, if relevant (e.g. this style is more time-consuming, this client chats up a storm and slows you down, whatever).  Analyze your records and adjust the duration of your appointments accordingly.  The only reason so many appointment-driven entities (doctors, dentists, hair stylists, etc.) get away with this is because we, their customers, allow it.

Before anyone goes talking about how the doctor can't know how long an appointment will take, let me point out that data can be analyzed, and the unexpected can be buffered into the schedule based on historic patterns.  It's just easier and cheaper to keep people waiting, and always will be, until people make it otherwise.