Male-Female Relationships and "Friendliness"

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 5:54 AM, Sunday21 said:

Is there any chance at all that your eye contact is too prolonged or too Intense?

I was reading your thread last night and thinking how I had never really felt uncomfortable talking to any men in my ward (besides my normal anxiety). Then today a father came to nursury to pick up his daughter, they just moved in a couple of months ago, he is an intern so he isn't there very often and we haven't really talked much. He came to pick up his daughter and we said hi and he literally just stared into my eyes very intensely. It was THE most awkward moment I have ever felt around someone. I don't know now long he was staring at me but it was enough time for me to notice and to figure out a way to divert his eyes away from me. Thank goodness for the coloring page his daughter had colored. I still don't know why he was staring at me, but it made me very uncomfortable. @Sunday21might have a point maybe you make eye contact to long and you don't even realize it. 

Edited by miav

5 hours ago, miav said:

I was reading your thread last night and thinking how I had never really felt uncomfortable talking to any men in my ward (besides my normal anxiety). Then today a father came to nursury to pick up his daughter, they just moved in a couple of months ago, he is an intern so he isn't there very often and we haven't really me or talked much. He came to pick up his daughter and we said hi and he literally just stared into my eyes very intensely. I THE most awkward  I have ever felt talking to one person. I don't know now long he was staring at me but it was enough time for me to notice and to figure out a way to divert his eyes away from me. Thank goodness for the coloring page his daughter had colored. I still don't know why he was staring at me, but it made me very uncomfortable. @Sunday21might have a point maybe you make eye contact to long and you don't even realize it. 

My brother was a nerd in high school. Most of his friends were very socially awkward. Some of these people had the intense eye contact thing. It made girls feel really uncomfortable -like you were their next meal! 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 8:24 PM, Carborendum said:

Most of the regulars here are well aware of how much I love my wife and how happily married I am.  I practically worship her.

But I tend to get the feeling that women believe I'm flirting with them when I'm being friendly or say a kind word.  What's up with that?  I certainly never intend to.  But this similar reaction seems to happen a lot.  Would it be better if I just never spoke with any females other than my family?

I think it simply depends on the person, male or female.  Some people are simply friendly and do not consider their actions flirting.  However, their actions may very well be inappropriate.  Then there are those who have a need to feel accepted and flirting is how they meet that need, or they need to make friends to till that need.  I have contended for many years that a married person has no business becoming friends with the opposite sex.  Being friendly is one thing, becoming friends as in besties is wrong.  I have also contended that no married man or woman has the right to "look around" at the opposite sex, admiring their good looks.  I see men and women in church dressing provocatively, always immodestly, in order to get attention.  Mostly, I think the need to flirt all comes down to being unfulfilled in some way and that person flirts to fill that need.