Hopefully-encouraging experience of a family member

Just_A_Guy

An extended family member of mine recently wrote a retrospective on her experiences with an early marriage, infertility, a spouse's mental illness and adultery, and ultimately divorce.  Sounds depressing, I know; but she has come through it pretty well (all things considered) and her write-up offers some interesting perspectives that might be helpful for others facing similar challenges.  Here is the link.

34 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

An extended family member of mine recently wrote a retrospective on her experiences with an early marriage, infertility, a spouse's mental illness and adultery, and ultimately divorce.  Sounds depressing, I know; but she has come through it pretty well (all things considered) and her write-up offers some interesting perspectives that might be helpful for others facing similar challenges.  Here is the link.

I'm glad for the last part, because you are correct it was depressing until the end. Thanks for sharing.

On 8/18/2016 at 4:39 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

An extended family member of mine ...  Here is the link.

I've finally had time to finish the write up.  She sounds like an amazing woman.

Do you really believe the "numbness" she spoke of is truly the Atonement?  I've certainly felt that way sometimes when something big hit me.  It was certainly different than depression.  I've never considere it was the Atonement.  I'll have to pay attention if it happens again.

11 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I've finally had time to finish the write up.  She sounds like an amazing woman.

Do you really believe the "numbness" she spoke of is truly the Atonement?  I've certainly felt that way sometimes when something big hit me.  It was certainly different than depression.  I've never considere it was the Atonement.  I'll have to pay attention if it happens again.

The author here certainly took it as evidence of the Atonement, so I'm disinclined to quibble with her. 

Speaking more generally, it strikes me that it would depend on the character and effect of the numbness.  I would probably speculate that so long as it only numbs one to the pain--but not to the love and empathy and support of others close to that person--I would read that as a tender mercy; but if that "numbness" isolates me from others and/or the Gospel, then it would seem more concerning.