Hurricane Henriette

StrawberryFields

My oldest son who is 23 is in Los Cabos on a vacation we were going to take as a family until Nick's recent surgery and the doctors told us not go. Late Monday night Hurricane Henrietta hit the Baja peninsula and right into the resort where he and my daughter in law are staying. My son who been terrible sick since the hurricane hit and I could not reach him until this morning. They have been without power including A/C until about 2 hours ago. I just spoke to him on the phone and he has all of the symptoms of dysentery. They are scheduled to come home on Sunday and I called the airlines and if he isn't better we will want to fly home in the morning.

Does anyone know what I can tell him to get past this time?

I have told him not to drink the water or anything that has been washed in it like lettuce. I warned him about brushing his teeth in it and the ice cubes. I have cautioned him about becoming too dehydrated. With the power being out he has told me that he has been sweating for days so this also concerns me with the dehydration.

I told him to take a cool bath and then try to get some sleep and hopefully the fever will break.

I have called the airlines and questioned about the possibility of them coming home a bit earlier. They said that it could be possible.

Now I am not sure what to tell them. They got there last Sunday and the storm hit Monday Night. Tonight I told him to see how he was in the morning and then make his decision. I have read that dysentery can be really bad and so can dehydration. After all they have been through it would be nice if they had a few nice days there the weather has subsided and if he felt better they could make a few good days of it. I guess we will see how he feels in the morning... I will also ask for some guidance and comfort for my son and his wife.

Any other advice?

Hi Strawberry, I hope that your son is feeling a little better. Here is a section about the treatment of the symptoms of dysentery, from the NHS Direct UK Website:

'If you have diarrhoea and vomiting, its very important to drink plenty of fluids to replace those lost and stop you getting dehydrated. Water, fruit juice and isotonic (sports) drinks that replace salts and minerals are best. In severe cases, fluid can be given by intravenous drip at a hospital if required.

If you have amoebic dysentery your GP may prescribe metronidazole.

Since most cases of dysentery are short, antibiotics are only used if the dysentery doesnt clear up on its own. Antibiotics can also be used to stop the spread of dysentery to other people if there is a high risk.'

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/artic...x?articleId=139

I would recommend trying to find bottled water, if it's available...sorry I can't give any more help or advice...

Black Walnut Extract (1 tsp) per day is the herbal remedy for dysentery. It should make the problem better in about eight hours and recovered within two days.

If they are still trying to work in a vacation, the conditions must be more inconvenience than destruction.

I am sorry that their vacation was spoiled.

I will pray that they have a few good days to recover and for their health and safe journey.

Thanks so much for your replies. :)

I spoke with the resort and they had a doctor come which cost 100.00. The doctor then drove them to the pharmacy to get three kinds of meds which came to 22.00. :)

I have been on the phone with Delta and they are working with us to get them flown out tomorrow.:)

He had a ruff night and just wants to be home... I think he is becoming dehydrated and grateful that he will be home soon. :)

Thanks so much for your replies. :)

I spoke with the resort and they had a doctor come which cost 100.00. The doctor then drove them to the pharmacy to get three kinds of meds which came to 22.00. :)

I have been on the phone with Delta and they are working with us to get them flown out tomorrow.:)

He had a ruff night and just wants to be home... I think he is becoming dehydrated and grateful that he will be home soon. :)

citicards has some kind of new benefit called "sign'n'fly" which is supposed to make it easy to get home in case of natural disaster or terrorist attack or something like that. havent had a chance to read up on it yet

Yes, he did get home tonight:)

He called when they landed from the airport. He said that they had lost his luggage and was bummed. I said just go home after reporting it and crawl into your own bed turn out all the lights and sleep.

Thanks for all of your concern and the :money::D

SF, Sorry to hear about your son. Interestingly, I just won a trip to Cabo to an all-inclusive resort. My wife is not too excited to go, but I think it would be fun as long as I stay away from Montezuma's revenge :fingerscrossed: . Maybe I'll find somebody else to go with me. :dontknow:

I'll go

<div class='quotemain'>

SF, Sorry to hear about your son. Interestingly, I just won a trip to Cabo to an all-inclusive resort. My wife is not too excited to go, but I think it would be fun as long as I stay away from Montezuma's revenge :fingerscrossed: . Maybe I'll find somebody else to go with me. :dontknow:

I'll go

Yeah, that'll go over big with your sister! :ohnoyoudont::ohnoyoudont:

I may be able to talk her into going if I can convince her there will be something there she will like. Like me?? :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

I'll go

Yeah, that'll go over big with your sister! :ohnoyoudont::ohnoyoudont:

I may be able to talk her into going if I can convince her there will be something there she will like. Like me?? :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Maybe you could convince her to go with PAM :sparklygrin: and leave you at home with all the kids.

The trip sounds great JD! When are you going? I just learned that the best time to go is Feb -May.:D

Take Pammy, She needs a vacation. :D

I don't know when I'm going, it's a 7 night stay that has to be used by the end of April '08. I was kind of thinking Feb. might be a nice time to get out of the cold and doldrums of winter and try to pick up a little bit of a tan. As much as my body is not used to being in the sun, I will probably burn if I'm not careful. Maybe I'll get one of those spray-on tans before I go so I won't blind anyone on the beach. :sparklygrin:

I know Pam needs a break, I just don't see my wife allowing any female, including family, to go on a vacation alone with me. Not that she doesn't trust me or that anything would happen, it's just the appearance of it all. I'm afraid that if I take someone else it would have to be a guy. She probably would prefer it to be one of my married guy friends, she would think they would get me into less trouble than a single guy who parties. :blink:

<div class='quotemain'>

The trip sounds great JD! When are you going? I just learned that the best time to go is Feb -May.:D

Take Pammy, She needs a vacation. :D

I don't know when I'm going, it's a 7 night stay that has to be used by the end of April '08. I was kind of thinking Feb. might be a nice time to get out of the cold and doldrums of winter and try to pick up a little bit of a tan. As much as my body is not used to being in the sun, I will probably burn if I'm not careful. Maybe I'll get one of those spray-on tans before I go so I won't blind anyone on the beach. :sparklygrin:

I know Pam needs a break, I just don't see my wife allowing any female, including family, to go on a vacation alone with me. Not that she doesn't trust me or that anything would happen, it's just the appearance of it all. I'm afraid that if I take someone else it would have to be a guy. She probably would prefer it to be one of my married guy friends, she would think they would get me into less trouble than a single guy who parties. :blink:

Darn, I tried Pam.:D

I would work on getting your passports right away JD.

Where in Mexico and how did you win it?

[Maybe you could convince her to go with PAM :sparklygrin: and leave you at home with all the kids.

Just a little bit of history. For the last few years my wife has worked for a company and gone to their yearly convention out of town. When she has done that, I have also taken the week off form my first job and worked on projects around the house, essentially spending my vacation time working. Sometimes it has seemed as if I really had no vacation at all, between pulling shifts at my second job, dealing with the kids and school, and hurrying to get something done before she gets home. It sometimes has been a relief to go back to work and rest.

This one time, I want to go away and forget about life. I don't want to be reminded of what I forgot to do or needs to be done at home, or hear about which kid down the street offended one of my kids. I just want to disappear and generally be unreachable for long periods of the day and just do things for ME. I need ME time. And if my wife doesn't want to come, share and spend some WE time as part of my ME time, well, I wish she would, but it won't ruin my life if I spend a week doing what I want to do without her for a change. I rarely ask her for time off to go out with the guys and do guy things. It happens maybe one or two times a year. So this one time, if she doesn't want to go, it's not the end of the world for me or us. I'll just find some guy to take her place and we'll do guy things for a week.

I understand there is a baja buggy track down there where you can rent buggies and go blasting around a track all day. That sounds like fun to me. Or I have always wanted to experience deep-sea fishing, something she would not even consider doing with me. Or I could just go to the beach and laze around all day in the sun, sipping on virgin Coronas, looking at the sights.

Darn, I tried Pam.:D

I would work on getting your passports right away JD.

Where in Mexico and how did you win it?

Technically, it's billed as Cabo, but actually the resort is in San Jose, about 20 miles away. The resort is reportedly on the beach on the Sea of Cortez, but apparently the Hotel doesn't own the beachfront, it is owned by the Mexican Gov't. Which may be a problem, as I have read that horseback rides are offered there, but about the only cleaning it gets is when crews rake up the horse, um, um, droppings.

I won it by entering a contest on ksl.com. They had some promo saying to enter for a trip from Morris/Murdock travel, so I entered on a lark. I never win anything legitimate, so I wasn't expecting to hear about it again. In fact, I had forgotten I had entered until after I got the call from them saying I had won.

I understand there is a backlog for passport applications, so yes, I will need to get working on that soon.

That is the city where my son and daughter in law was... they were staying here. http://www.loscabosguide.com/hotels/grandbajaresort.htm

I am glad you won the trip John Doe. You are a great Guy and you deserve a vacation! :D

<div class='quotemain'>

That is the city where my son and daughter in law was... they were staying here. http://www.loscabosguide.com/hotels/grandbajaresort.htm

I am glad you won the trip John Doe. You are a great Guy and you deserve a vacation! :D

Awww, thanks for the kind words, If it weren't for you I'd probably never come back. :thumbsup::bearhug:

Awww :bearhug:

Come back from where John Doe?