How To Ask For Help

musicmum2000

Hi, My family are new members to the church. we are kinda come and go members because I have cronic back pain and my husband is a police man and we have to little ones and live about 45 miles from the church but we definatly try to go as much as we can. Right now there is a very good sister who actually helped a lot in my conversion with great answers to a lot of my questions who is have a real hard time. She is spliting from her husband. She and her six children are living in a three bedroom rented house infested with ants. She has gotten a part time job and has spotty day care for her children. I have offered her to come stay with us. However, we have a nice house but again it is a three bedroom house but it has an unfinished basement. Would it be appropriate to ask for help to see if we can get so donations of supplies or help or money to make it into an appartment for her and her children? Or is that too much. Right now we are planning to put the kids in with our kids and try to scrape up enough money to at least make one room down there to make her a bedroom. Any suggestions would be helpfull. By the way I am not very good at asking for help but for her I would do anything! Thanks, God Bless.

Hi, My family are new members to the church. we are kinda come and go members because I have cronic back pain and my husband is a police man and we have to little ones and live about 45 miles from the church but we definatly try to go as much as we can. Right now there is a very good sister who actually helped a lot in my conversion with great answers to a lot of my questions who is have a real hard time. She is spliting from her husband. She and her six children are living in a three bedroom rented house infested with ants. She has gotten a part time job and has spotty day care for her children. I have offered her to come stay with us. However, we have a nice house but again it is a three bedroom house but it has an unfinished basement. Would it be appropriate to ask for help to see if we can get so donations of supplies or help or money to make it into an appartment for her and her children? Or is that too much. Right now we are planning to put the kids in with our kids and try to scrape up enough money to at least make one room down there to make her a bedroom. Any suggestions would be helpfull. By the way I am not very good at asking for help but for her I would do anything! Thanks, God Bless.

"Would it be appropriate to ask for help to see if we can get so donations of supplies or help or money to make it into an appartment for her and her children? "

Who would you be asking donations from?

Who would you be asking donations from?

I guess from the church. I am not sure. I have not really had to ever ask for help before. I have always been ablle to provide for me and my family. but It will be harder now to provide for my family me and another family. If you have any suggestions on where we can get help and who to ask for it from that would also be helpful!

Uhm no.

I believe your intentions are good but instead of battling ants you will be opening up a can of worms.

I believe that you can provide the best and safest help for her and her children by hiring an exterminator to get rid of the ants.

Her husband is responsible for her and her children and if he doesn't step up to the plate then there are other ways and means she can go to. To invite another woman and her children into your home would be a complete nightmare for everyone involved especially your own family IMO.

I think what you're trying to do is very commendable, as it's obvious you really care about this woman and her children. However, I agree with SF that it would be a mistake to bring them into your home. Try to help her be self sufficient. Why would you raise money to add to your house? If you're going to raise money, it should be so that she can get back on her feet again independently.

Yeah, definently contact the Relief Society President. She would be able to/know who to contact for help.

I have to agree with Strawberry Fields on most parts. Take it from personal experience: Inviting another family into your home is not a good idea. My last experience with that was...to say the least ...the most horrible idea that was ever conceived by mankind.

After all, give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. So yeah, you'll want to get help getting her on her feet and on her own. She and her children will benefit the most from that.

• 2 years later...