Judging righteously and unrighteously

pam

Sometimes the line between a righteous and an unrighteous judgment can become blurred. Over the years, I’ve spoken to friends, family and church leaders on the subject and have compiled a series of questions to help me as I think of others. This is not a compete list, and as I continue to explore the subject, I will probably add more criteria to my personal litmus test, but I’ve found these questions helpful in making my own judgments, and perhaps someone else will too.

https://mormonhub.com/blog/faith/scripture/judge-not-unrighteously/

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

It's missing the most important question to ask. Am I following the Spirit?

Well the article did say it's not a complete list. :)

1 minute ago, pam said:

Well the article did say it's not a complete list. :)

Sure. And it was a good article. But....just discussing.

Ultimately, there is only one way to judge righteously, imo. And that is by the Spirit.

I think where it gets complicated, perhaps, is where I don't believe that in every moment of our existence we must have spiritual revelation in order to judge righteously, and that is where the other thinking becomes important as the 'partial' list addresses. But in the first place that judgement needs to have been centered in things known of the Spirit.

The idea does render some of the points less than ideal. As in "do I know the full story". Not really relevant if listening carefully to the Spirit. God knows the full story even if we don't.

And, of course, it doesn't even begin to address the complexities of judging principles vs. actions vs. people. These ideas have become blurred (maybe they always have been) to where too often the presentation of a principle gets condemned as a judgment of people, of the understanding that an action is wrong gets equated to defining the person as condemned or evil. All nuance has been lost in many cases.

Anyhow, like I said, just discussing.