Window: Missing insulation

Sunday21

I had a window replaced because it really let in the cold. I assumed that there was something wrong with the window. The window people came and inserted a new window. When they were finished, they told me that there was no insulation under the window. The people who had built the exterior brick wall had bricked up to far, the house settled and consequently there was a gap or no insulation under the window. Well the new window is installed so what now? I would be most grateful for ideas. Thank you!

Brick house?  Only immediately under the window is missing insulation?   Can you blow in insulation from the inside?  Is it a regular replacement window?  Even if the window was out, there is still a sill you wouldn't be able to insulate around, unless the insulation is only missing from between the sill and window, which is an odd set-up.  If that's the case, just pop the trim and you should be able to stuff it with fiberglass insulation.

40 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Brick house?  Only immediately under the window is missing insulation?   Can you blow in insulation from the inside?  Is it a regular replacement window?  Even if the window was out, there is still a sill you wouldn't be able to insulate around, unless the insulation is only missing from between the sill and window, which is an odd set-up.  If that's the case, just pop the trim and you should be able to stuff it with fiberglass insulation.

Thanks for replying! Thinking of the vertical distance from the floor to the sill, within the wall itself there is no insulation. The sill is very firmly attached to the wall with cauking. You cannot remove the sill. I don't see anyway to make a hole and blow in insulation without: 1) breaking the wall or 2) removing the window which means breaking the window sill. Sigh. I think this is a difficult problem. 

Ahhh, so no insulation in the whole wall.  Typically there is a rough sill under the sill, so removing the sill really won't help.  Peronally, I would remove the trim and see if it reached beneath the rough sill.  If not, I'd either cut a hole in the sheet rock for blow-in, or more likely I'd just remove the sheet rock right under the window sill and stuff in fiberglass insulation.

I wouldn't touch the window at all.  The only things that typically need to be reinsulated on windows are in the old houses when you switch to replacement windows.  Then you need to insulate the weight channels and around the shims.

Remove the drywall. Spray foam insulation in the cavity. Replace the drywall and paint.

I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. But it seems like that is the path forward.  It really isn't as big a deal as you may think.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Remove the drywall. Spray foam insulation in the cavity. Replace the drywall and paint.

I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. But it seems like that is the path forward.  It really isn't as big a deal as you may think.

Thank you for replying! I worry about replacing the drywall...