Healthcare.gov for US citizens

Sunday21

On 11/10/2017 at 10:39 AM, NeedleinA said:

Point of reference we are a family of 6, high deductible $12,500, and will be paying around $290 ish a month.

Can you tell me what is covered before you get to the deductible? For example, I take diabetic drugs. Would I have to pay for them out of pocket? When I was laid off, I could never get a straight answer from the government people (since when is that news?) and fortunately, was able to stay on my former employer's insurance. It was  pricey, but I meet my drug deductible by early summer and my drugs are free after that. I am waiting to hit 65 to retire so that I can get medicare, but always wonder about Obamacare. Also, now that so many insurers have left the plans, how can people choose if there's no carrier in your state?

What got me was when I started the application process, I thought I could get a subsidy since I was on unemployment, but no. They counted my pre-layoff income. "But I'm not making that money anymore!" I protested, but nope, if I were still unemployed in the new year, I could petition to change my premium then. W. T. H?  I kept my old policy, which was almost as much as the Obamacare, but at least I knew what was covered. I'm back with the same employer again, so insurance isn't an issue unless I leave before I hit 65.

Side note - I was teaching info policy when Healthcare.gov first came out and was having all of the computer problems. As much as I hated Obama and any move toward government interference in my insurance coverage, I understood that some people thought this would be the answer for them. How shameful that the government wasted money on incompetent system designers (was it a friend of Michelle's?) and people wound up with a process and system that failed them.