eVa

10 minutes ago, eVa said:

Any validity to the notion that the "valley" mentioned in this scripture refers to the "tunnel" people report to pass through during a near death experience?!  

Not really seeing it. The valley of the shadow of death is in reference to the hills and valleys surrounding palestine where thieves and robbers would hide and descend down into to steal sheep, kill people and take their belongings. It is tge metaphor used to speak spiritually of being in this dangerous world where evil lays in snare to descend upon and destroy the soul. At least thats what I understand about it. I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, eVa said:

Any validity to the notion that the "valley" mentioned in this scripture refers to the "tunnel" people report to pass through during a near death experience?!  

Excellent question. 

i've thought of the 'valley' as the bitterness of dying, with tunnel as being the best (and yet entirely inadequate)  word many people have available to them to describe an inexpressibly bright Light that 'pierces' something dark (or at least something not as bright and pure as the thing that pierces it).  

i've found this site to be a pretty good/vetted compilation of NDEs.  They have a specific section on the reports many people have of a tunnel.  It's intriguing to see at least how many different explanations/perceptions there are of it.

https://www.near-death.com/science/research/tunnel.html

If you are interested, some excellent (in my opinion)  start-to-finish NDEs are below.  For me at least, something that just feels 'right' about them that a lot of others lack.

Amy Call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Y3WnsaejA

Howard Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0hhQrBdjGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOWYtXKV6g&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaGgXw3qTv4&t

Crystal McVea

Her book, 'Waking Up In Heaven' is pretty good i think.

I'm gonna guess Ezekiel 37:1-2 (Ezekiel's vision of the valley of bones).

Regardless of which scripture, I'd say... I don't believe any modern apostle has given any interpretation of any scripture as having anything to do with NDEs.  If someone can show me otherwise, I'd like to hear it.

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Vetted by whom?

My thoughts...

Many of the NDE sites are very questionable at times.  They have both good and bad.  The good is from those who actually had an NDE.

The bad are the many imitators who try to inject their own New Age ideas into it.  The NDE "science" these days is more of a religion of New Ageism than anything else, and as such they accept anything and everything.  They collectively include what they call "OOB" or OUT of Body Experiences with the NDE's and this greatly confuses the actual things that are discussed on those sites.

I find the vetting to typically be very bad. 

However, there are gems in the rough in those sites, where those who have actually had a real NDE have their stories told.  The thing one has to be careful of are the many imitators (many being those who claim to have OOB and hence say they have the same thing as an NDE or close to it) that are also found on those sites and accepted as being true.

Edited by JohnsonJones

6 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Vetted by whom?

Thanks Carb.  Good point. 

So i guess the value one assigns to any vetting process is a reflection of the degree to which the metrics (qualitative or quantitative) upon which that process is based can be agreed upon.  For me, when i read/listen/watch a NDE, it's most definitely more of a qualitative exercise in the credence i assign to it.  Some examples of things that i think tip the scales in a negative direction for me are ones where i sense a strong agenda of self-interest or self-promotion guiding the narrative. 

Seriously though, the paragraph above is just my ego-inflating way of saying what i assume to be understood on a forum of public debate - that ANY post from ANYONE here, myself included, reflects an opinion.  My willingness to share that opinion and call it vetted reflects my qualitatively-formed perception that the person i am sharing it shares at least the majority of the metrics upon which it is based.  

Untangling the threads that make a perception like the one mentioned above is difficult indeed - especially if the person you are doing it in front of is looking for a good strong one to wrap around your neck  :) .   And let's be honest, you debate and reason at a level far above me - so this would not be difficult to do.  It might be easier to just say you don't assign value to  my vetting process and moving on, if that is the case.

Got to say though, you are making me think more carefully about my words..... and for this and many other things, i am indebted to you.

NDEs are what got me interested in the LDS faith, the pre-existence and the plan of salvation.  Most of the credible NDEs talk of a feeling of  'returning home'.  

This is a good video done by a member of the church

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what to watch but please be aware that Amy Call, while she has an amazing NDE experience, is an ex-mormon.  She left the LDS church because of what she experienced in her NDE.