by interpretation, is a honey bee

Fether

I was reading through Ether 2 and came across this scripture:

”they did also carry with them deseret, which, by interpretation, is a honey bee”

why did Moroni include this in the record? The whole of the record of the Jaredites was written in a different language, but Moroni only included this commentary on this translation. Makes even less sense since this word “Deseret” was originally in the language of Adam, translated into the Nephite language, translated into English.

Why?

Ether 2:3 And they did also carry with them deseret, which, by interpretation, is a honey bee; and thus they did carry with them swarms of bees, and all manner of that which was upon the face of the land, seeds of every kind.

Ether 15:8 And it came to pass that he came to the waters of Ripliancum, which, by interpretation, is large, or to exceed all; wherefore, when they came to these waters they pitched their tents; and Shiz also pitched his tents near unto them; and therefore on the morrow they did come to battle.

John 1:42 And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.

John 9:7 And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing.

Acts 9:36 ¶ Now there was at Joppa a certain disciple named Tabitha, which by interpretation is called Dorcas: this woman was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did.

Acts 13:8 But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith.

Hebrews 7:2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;

D&C 95:7 And for this cause I gave unto you a commandment that you should call your solemn assembly, that your fastings and your mourning might come up into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, which is by interpretation, the creator of the first day, the beginning and the end.

It would seem that sometimes, the original name is considered significant enough to be preserved (but the translation still needs to be provided).

Perhaps the Lord really likes "In Our Lovely Deseret", "The Wintry Day, Descending to Its Close", and "High on the Mountain Top". :)

10 minutes ago, zil said:

It would seem that sometimes, the original name is considered significant enough to be preserved (but the translation still needs to be provided).

Perhaps the Lord really likes "In Our Lovely Deseret", "The Wintry Day, Descending to Its Close", and "High on the Mountain Top". :)

Oh :)

That D&C one is interesting because the Bible Dictionary says "Sabaoth" translates to "Hosts", but the D&C verse says it translates to "the creator of the first day".  Of course, the Lord of Hosts is the Creator of the First Day, so it's all the same, but apparently a different emphasis was desired here.  It could have said "...the Lord of the Sabaoth, which is by interpretation, me."  I'm thinking language for God is not quite the same as language for us. :)

On 6/1/2018 at 9:54 AM, Fether said:

I was reading through Ether 2 and came across this scripture:

”they did also carry with them deseret, which, by interpretation, is a honey bee”

why did Moroni include this in the record? The whole of the record of the Jaredites was written in a different language, but Moroni only included this commentary on this translation. Makes even less sense since this word “Deseret” was originally in the language of Adam, translated into the Nephite language, translated into English.

Why?

I like that the Book of Mormon mentions deseret in Ether. Moroni added that it was honey bees by interpretation. Maybe Moroni really likes honey and wanted to elaborate while he pondered it. Honey really is a "miracle food" and incidently is a complete whole food. But I rather think that since Moroni indeed saw our day, he may have seen that we use the honeybee as our unofficial mascot and Deseret our offical brand. (Not to mention Deseret was the name given for the land designated in which the saints would dwell in the west.)

image.jpeg

Edited by Palo Verde
Added picture