Self-harm and Suicide

Petty3

15 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Yes,  of course, being overweight is about what we eat.  My point is WHY do people overeat? When it hurts us socially and is unhealthy, and uncomfortable, why do it?   You mention addiction, but what causes addiction?  Some people can drink alcohol and not become addicted, others eat carbs or sugar and have no problems.  

I think addiction has both physical and emotional roots.  Quite often people become addicted to substances because they use them to dull their pain.  When I worked through my pain in therapy, and learned healthy coping skills, THEN I was able to address my sugar addiction.  I could not have stopped sugar before that.  When I stopped eating sugar, I stopped thinking about food 24/7 and ate less and  I lost weight.  Yes, I had to change what I ate, absolutely, but before I could do that, I had to deal with what was driving me to look to sugar for comfort.   

I talked to my therapist about this and she agrees that many people who are obese (we're not talking about that 10-25 lbs that some stress over, I mean 100 lbs and more) are sexual abuse survivors.  

So I was more than 100 lbs over weight.  I was never abused as a child.  I have a fairly high IQ to boot.  I analysed myself many times trying to figure it out.  I do have a minor fear of starving..  not fear of starving to death but more fear of the pain of starving, but I don't know if that has anything to do with why I ate so much.

Once I ditched the carbs and I just went cold turkey, after about 3-4 days, my desire to eat basically went away.  No desire to snack.  I could go past the snack table at work and have little desire to partake.

From my understanding the body loves carbs. They are quick energy.  The problem is that in our society, we don't really need that quick energy, so our body converts the carbs to glucose and then stores that glucose as fat when not utilized.  But once stored as fat, it wants that high again..  so you stuff your face with another twinkie.  And the cycle repeats.  

I test a while back adding carbs back into the diet.  They tasted so good.  I felt compelled to eat more.  And so I did.  Not a good thing.  Since then I basically only eat sweets on special occasions.  It works better that way.

Guest LiterateParakeet
3 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

I was never abused as a child.  I have a fairly high IQ to boot.  

I have to confess, I got distracted right here.  What does having a fairly high IQ have to do with this discussion?  Or with those who are abusd as children?  

My opinion and that of the experts I trust  (it goes without saying that the experts don't always agree) is that carbs are not the problem, simple carbs are the problem.  For example, plants are carbs...broccoli is full of carbs, but there is a big difference between white nread (simple carb) and whole wheat bread (complex carb).  Also a big difference between apple juice and eating the whole apple. 

I'm fine if you disagree. If what you are doing works for you, then who am I to suggest anything different?  A favorite quote of mine is:

You can change man's religion, but you can't change his diet.

ETA:  Sexual abuse is not the only pain people cover with unhealthy eating patterns and addictions..mmthese can be a cover for all kinds of pain of various types.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

2 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I have to confess, I got distracted right here.  What does having a fairly high IQ have to do with this discussion?  Or with those who are abusd as children?  

My opinion and that of the experts I trust  (it goes without saying that the experts don't always agree) is that carbs are not the problem, simple carbs are the problem.  For example, plants are carbs...broccoli is full of carbs, but there is a big difference between white nread (simple carb) and whole wheat bread (complex carb).  Also a big difference between apple juice and eating the whole apple. 

I'm fine if you disagree. If what you are doing works for you, then who am I to suggest anything different?  A favorite quote of mine is:

You can change man's religion, but you can't change his diet.

ETA:  Sexual abuse is not the only pain people cover with unhealthy eating patterns and addictions..mmthese can be a cover for all kinds of pain of various types.

I was pointing out that you may think you are smart but addictions can still beat you.

And yes, it is mostly the simple carbs.  I still eat a lot of veggies.  But the ones I eat are not loaded with simple carbs.  And you have to watch out for "wheat" bread because a lot of them are full of simple carbs.

I like your quote.  Luckily man can change his diet.  

I can't think of pain, but certainly stress eat.  But mostly, I just really like the taste and the feeling of being full.

Guest LiterateParakeet
11 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I was pointing out that you may think you are smart but addictions can still beat you

Oh! Thanks for clarifying.  We're mostly on the same page now.  :) MayMaybe different pages, but same book, LOL.