Is your child really brain damaged?

Backroads

1 hour ago, Godless said:

I'm specifically talking about the US, but I imagine my statement is probably true to some extent in other countries as well. 

Okay.  You said systemic.  That would mean organizations, corporations, laws right?  So, just so I know exactly what you're talking about, can you point me to some systems and/or laws that ignore colored Einsteins?

Guest Godless
8 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Okay.  You said systemic.  That would mean organizations, corporations, laws right?  So, just so I know exactly what you're talking about, can you point me to some systems and/or laws that ignore colored Einsteins?

A lot of it can be traced back to the National Housing Act of 1934 (part of the New Deal), the fallout of which is outlined pretty well here. This created problems that were summarized in the 60's by the the Kerner Commission in a report that ultimately went ignored. In short, disparity in lending practices led to middle class white suburbs and poor black inner cities. Schools in urban communities weren't as well-funded as their suburban counterparts. THAT'S what systemic prejudice looks like. 

In the last 50 years, laws have been changed to curb discriminatory lending practices and redlining, but the divide between urban and suburban America remains wide. And yes, obviously things are better now than they were in the 60s. But that doesn't mean there isn't still work to be done to undo the damage done by the New Deal.

17 hours ago, Mores said:

This is kind of the point I was making.  I'm glad you picked up on it.  While (CH3)2Hg is much more deadly than elemental mercury, that doesn't mean elemental mercury is completely non-toxic. 

Don't go around telling people to drink mercury, ok?

Exactly.  Except for the drinking part.  Hey, if they can snort condoms and inhale cinnamon, why not drink Hg?  Just remember who's leading us in 20 years.  Scary.

15 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Pardon the threadjack but this is interesting.

So, are you saying we can't all be Einsteins because some are autistic?  Or are you saying we can't all be Einsteins because some people aren't taught they can be Einsteins?

The latter of course.