Making Sacrifices Upon Converting

MorningStar

Another thought I want to share:

It is quite true that this Church has very high, if not unreasonable standards at times for some people. While this is true, this is also one of the grestest things about this Church.

It's easy to be discouraged with your performance. Whether you've been ex-communicated and seeking to be rebaptized, or a new convert who can't qualify for a Temple Reccomend, it is quite a struggle to feel like the Church will accept you.

However, those high standards arn't given just for our suffering. They are there so that we need to take advantage of the Atoning Grance of Jesus Christ. Yes I said "grace". I know with myself I get quite annoyed with myself and my seemingly inability to cease certain serious sins. It's easy to beat myself up over my mistakes that go directly against learned truth. For example I know that shopping on Sunday is wrong, but I still do it, although with lesser frequency that before. Whenever I feel compelled to sin, the guilt comes and I feel bad about it. I feel that God would never want me to be in His presence. I feel that my constant stupidity is somehow not worthy of the Saviour's Atonement. I feel that I don't deserve the Holy Ghost(and sometimes it has come even after a serious sin has been comitted).

I'm not alone. I think that many people go though the same feelings of anguish that I do. I think that many people lose their testimonies after they feel that because the standards are too high, they can't be reached and therefore can't be true. I know better. Those standards are there for everybody. From the very weak, to the very strong, all are given for all's benefit. Sure, right now getting my Home Teaching and raising a family in the Gospel don't apply to me, and they may never. I think we often forget that the commnadment are not nessicarily a checklist for salvation, but they are there to develop the attitude that leads to it. It's been said before that if a Saint lives in an area or in a manner where a Temple cannot be reached, then that person should still live worthy to recieve a reccommend, and God will make sure that their faith will not be in vain. In a way it's like that with everything. If you want to be saved, act like you want to be saved(as opposed to acting like you are saved). I only wish I could take the advice that my hands are typing out.

I was converted at 23 and I gave up a lot. The hardest were the friends that actually gave me up. It hurt since most of us were friends since we were 6. I see my kids going through the same thing now, coming home to tell me that so-and-so is not allowed to play with them anymore because we are LDS. I have friends that belong to another church and they tell me that they pray for me but that's ok, I always need prayers. I keep our friendship in perspective and feel that I may be the only example of our church that they see and maybe they will find out that we are not what they learn about in their Sunday School classes.

Also I want to add that as for giving things up I notice that members that have been in the church all their lives tend to have more problems with the WOW.

The only thing I can't give up is coffee. Not because I choose not to, but because I suffer severe ADD/HD and because I don't like to take medication for anything, the doctrine has me on three cups of coffee a day. I have had to drink coffee as a prescription since I was in grade school.

It keeps me focused, organized and calms me down.

The only thing I can't give up is coffee. Not because I choose not to, but because I suffer severe ADD/HD and because I don't like to take medication for anything, the doctrine has me on three cups of coffee a day. I have had to drink coffee as a prescription since I was in grade school.

It keeps me focused, organized and calms me down.

Really? :blink: I have been diagnosed with adult ADD...do you think, do you REALLY think... can it be true? Do you hold a current Temple recommend? Is your Bishop OK with your coffee drinking? I am getting goose bumps!!! This could be an answer to my prayers!!!!! I miss my coffee FIERCELY!!!!!!!

...I know that I whine about it a lot...but honestly, no coffee taste as good as time spent in the Celestial room... :)

I was converted at 23 and I gave up a lot. The hardest were the friends that actually gave me up. It hurt since most of us were friends since we were 6. I see my kids going through the same thing now, coming home to tell me that so-and-so is not allowed to play with them anymore because we are LDS. I have friends that belong to another church and they tell me that they pray for me but that's ok, I always need prayers. I keep our friendship in perspective and feel that I may be the only example of our church that they see and maybe they will find out that we are not what they learn about in their Sunday School classes.

Also I want to add that as for giving things up I notice that members that have been in the church all their lives tend to have more problems with the WOW.

I totally identified with this post. I also have noticed that we converts seem to do better on the WOW thing!! I am living it...but as I keep saying...I lament my coffee!!!

...heeeyy...Elpheba...didja catch that? :P

My initial interest in the LDS Church was as an adolescent .. a neighbor, of the same age often offered his testimony. His forthrightness I value till this day candidly admitting he planted a seed. Shortly after High School I entered the military and without the encouragement of other church members gravitated towards becoming a Southern Baptist. I immediately had issues with the church and it wavering doctrinal views depending on the church I attended, after attending Bible college and becoming ordained I became a member of the Church of God, Tennessee. .. very Pentecostal in practices and beliefs. I was married for fifteen years and went through an excruciating divorce. Knowing it was no fault of my own as I did everything possible to preserve the marriage. I started to ask our Father for further guidance. Within a day two LDS missionaries knocked on my door and I welcomed them in. It took several weeks due to conflicting schedules but we were finally able to spend some quality time. For the first time in many years I felt relief; praying and devoting myself to study and within two months decided to become a member of the church.

WOW! We come from the same basic doctrinal backgrounds!! My father was a Southern Baptist...I joined a Fundamentalist Baptist church in my 20's and then left that and tried several pentecostal churches for a while...I have searched for the truth my whole life and have loved the Lord since I was a child...G-d knew my heart and he guided me to this church...I lost many "friends" when I converted, and my family have all abandoned me...but I will NEVER look back!!!

A friend of mine was raised in a very dysfunctional home and decided on her own growing up on her own standards that she believed in. One day her roommate had the missionaries over and she said it was fine, but she had no interest in listening to the Mormons. While she was doing the dishes in the kitchen, she listened to their conversation and realized she agreed with everything they were saying and already believed many of those things and she went into the living room to talk to them. It wasn't long after that that she converted.

I love conversion stories.

This happened to me!! Sort of!! I invited the missionaries to my door when I called the 800 number to receive my free BoM... I intended to argue with them and "have fun" with them...but when I listened to them, I found that I already had those things in my heart and I found myself agreeing with them!! But my Baptist indoctrination had me terrified of them! I was SO afraid that they were "False prophets" ...The Holy Spirit did the rest...

Really? :blink: I have been diagnosed with adult ADD...do you think, do you REALLY think... can it be true? Do you hold a current Temple recommend? Is your Bishop OK with your coffee drinking? I am getting goose bumps!!! This could be an answer to my prayers!!!!! I miss my coffee FIERCELY!!!!!!!

...I know that I whine about it a lot...but honestly, no coffee taste as good as time spent in the Celestial room... :)

I do not hold a temple recommend.

Actually, I have a wonderful lady in my life that is wanting me to go back to church with her and she is slowly getting me back into the church, having home teachers come over and talking with me.

Sunday was my first time back in church in a long time.

Another thought I want to share:

It is quite true that this Church has very high, if not unreasonable standards at times for some people. While this is true, this is also one of the grestest things about this Church.

It's easy to be discouraged with your performance. Whether you've been ex-communicated and seeking to be rebaptized, or a new convert who can't qualify for a Temple Reccomend, it is quite a struggle to feel like the Church will accept you.

However, those high standards arn't given just for our suffering. They are there so that we need to take advantage of the Atoning Grance of Jesus Christ. Yes I said "grace". I know with myself I get quite annoyed with myself and my seemingly inability to cease certain serious sins. It's easy to beat myself up over my mistakes that go directly against learned truth. For example I know that shopping on Sunday is wrong, but I still do it, although with lesser frequency that before. Whenever I feel compelled to sin, the guilt comes and I feel bad about it. I feel that God would never want me to be in His presence. I feel that my constant stupidity is somehow not worthy of the Saviour's Atonement. I feel that I don't deserve the Holy Ghost(and sometimes it has come even after a serious sin has been comitted).

I'm not alone. I think that many people go though the same feelings of anguish that I do. I think that many people lose their testimonies after they feel that because the standards are too high, they can't be reached and therefore can't be true. I know better. Those standards are there for everybody. From the very weak, to the very strong, all are given for all's benefit. Sure, right now getting my Home Teaching and raising a family in the Gospel don't apply to me, and they may never. I think we often forget that the commnadment are not nessicarily a checklist for salvation, but they are there to develop the attitude that leads to it. It's been said before that if a Saint lives in an area or in a manner where a Temple cannot be reached, then that person should still live worthy to recieve a reccommend, and God will make sure that their faith will not be in vain. In a way it's like that with everything. If you want to be saved, act like you want to be saved(as opposed to acting like you are saved). I only wish I could take the advice that my hands are typing out.

What a beautiful post!!! You are not alone, my friend!! Paul was in the same boat!! Read Romans chapter 7. He talks about how he wishes to do right but his flesh does the wrong that he hates!! And how he tries to not sin, but his flesh is weak...we ALL suffer this quandary!!! We love the Lord and want to serve him...but the flesh struggles against the spirit!! Read Romans chapter 7 today or tonight and know that you are in good company, my friend!!!!

I do not hold a temple recommend.

Actually, I have a wonderful lady in my life that is wanting me to go back to church with her and she is slowly getting me back into the church, having home teachers come over and talking with me.

Sunday was my first time back in church in a long time.

Oh...bummer! :( Well, I am going to still bring it up to my Bishop...Jesus said to take a little wine for thy stomic's sake...so for medicinal purposes...

...well, it's worth a shot isn't it? All my Bishop can do is say, "no". I can live with that....

...BTW...congrats on going back to the church...sounds like you have a great girlfriend!! Keep up the good work...G-d loves you NOW, AS you are...he wants to see you improve, but that is for YOUR sake, not his...

It tasted horrible. Rarely does something taste so bad that I have to spit it out. It was about as enjoyable as Applets and Cotlets.

Well, bakers chocolate taste horrible too!! You have to know how to bring out the flavor!! Ohhh!! don't get me started!! I made AWESOME coffee!!!! :(

I come from a Baptist background...My who family thinks that I am nuts...My sister will not even speak to me...my "so-called" friends have disowned me. I have been "written off" or "given over to Satan" They think I am going straight to Hell...

...and I miss my coffee more than the whole lot of them! :angry:

...Good riddence!!!

...Anybody have a chocolate bar for a needy soul? :rolleyes:

I am also from a "Baptist" background. My Dad a preacher. Although many in my family don't quite understand my conversion...they love me and have never treated me ill. As far as friends (or other Pastors) sometimes a different matter. Other than tithing...I was living the gospel prior...never smoked...never even tasted of any alcoholic drink...did not drink coffee or tea. Believed in the eternal family...lets just say I was rich soil for the missionaries.

Pa Pa

It tasted horrible. Rarely does something taste so bad that I have to spit it out. It was about as enjoyable as Applets and Cotlets.

It could have been worse. It could have been chocolate covered mayonnaise, or mayonnaise covered coffee beans.

If I became the prophet, I would make mayo against the WOW and take everybody's temple recommend for indulging in that forbidden spread. I would also mount anti-aircraft missiles on the Salt Lake Temple.

Jigglysaint,

We moderators (in our benevolent omniscience) know all about you and Zakuska persecuting hapless Morningstar and others with numerous references to mayonnaise and other evil products of designing Frenchmen.

Since this board is for amicable discussion (and sending someone racing to the bathroom to throw up is not considered amicable in Mormon circles) we will ask you to refrain from doing so here, as well.

Tempt ye not our mighty wrath- lest ye be sentenced to make your tuna fish sandwiches with lowly Miracle Whip for all eternity.

Seriously, though- play nice with the mayo references.

Tempt ye not our mighty wrath- lest ye be sentenced to make your tuna fish sandwiches with lowly Miracle Whip for all eternity.

YumYumYum, Long live Miracle Whip. Loves it, Loves it a lot! :sparklygrin:

It could have been worse. It could have been chocolate covered mayonnaise, or mayonnaise covered coffee beans.

If I became the prophet, I would make mayo against the WOW and take everybody's temple recommend for indulging in that forbidden spread. I would also mount anti-aircraft missiles on the Salt Lake Temple.

Jigglysaint,

We moderators (in our benevolent omniscience) know all about you and Zakuska persecuting hapless Morningstar and others with numerous references to mayonnaise and other evil products of designing Frenchmen.

Since this board is for amicable discussion (and sending someone racing to the bathroom to throw up is not considered amicable in Mormon circles) we will ask you to refrain from doing so here, as well.

Oh moderator of mystery! Where have you been for so long? Where were you when T-shirt was posting graphics of chocolate dipped in mayo and waffles with mayo on them?

Oh moderator of mystery! Where have you been for so long? Where were you when T-shirt was posting graphics of chocolate dipped in mayo and waffles with mayo on them?

:blink: :blink: :blink::wacko::huh:

That sounds downright UNHOLY! Quick, someone find some consecrated oil and a couple of elders!

Okay, am I missing somthing here? I thought it was okay to have inside jokes. Yeah I am suspending my selse of humor for a moment because I am scared to death of the red text.

The joke is, mods, is that both MorningStar and myself hate mayo, so we joke about it. If MorningStar is honestly getting sick from this, then I'm stopping.

Of course in some Other circles, teasing one another is a sign of affection or friendship. But if it's only going one way then...

Oh and I guess I should apologize for the temple remark. I think I forget sometimes how holy it is. I've never been so I guess I haven't been able to appreciate it fully.

I must keep my blasphamous remarks to myself. I am NOT a very good Mormon.

It's OK. Moderators like to joke too. ;)

You are not allowd to consume dairy products? I've always been a veggitarian, and because of my high pulse I can never have anything with caffiene. There is carob bars and chips, and cafiene Free Chocolate. You can order cafiene Free Chocolate online at; www.rossdirect.com

You know I read the entire thread and I don't think anybody mentioned not being allowed to eat dairy products.