Reverence Tips

MorningStar

This is a topic that comes up in my ward very frequently - reverence. We have a lot of babies and toddlers and it is frequently difficult to hear the speakers and sometimes people don't take their crying kids out until they have reached siren level. The other distracting thing is the kids banging on the metal chairs in the overflow.

What are your strategies for encouraging reverence with your kids and in your ward?

This is a topic that comes up in my ward very frequently - reverence. We have a lot of babies and toddlers and it is frequently difficult to hear the speakers and sometimes people don't take their crying kids out until they have reached siren level. The other distracting thing is the kids banging on the metal chairs in the overflow.

What are your strategies for encouraging reverence with your kids and in your ward?

Good old fashiond fear tactics!! My son is 13...I threaten him with a time-out in his room after church. 5 min for every time I have to speak to him during the Sacrament meeting. My daughter never gives me any trouble...she is 14 and loves the church. Mikey (son) is autistic and hates everything to do with church...he is my prodigal son right now and I am broken hearted over him... :(

Good old fashiond fear tactics!! My son is 13...I threaten him with a time-out in his room after church. 5 min for every time I have to speak to him during the Sacrament meeting. My daughter never gives me any trouble...she is 14 and loves the church. Mikey (son) is autistic and hates everything to do with church...he is my prodigal son right now and I am broken hearted over him... :(

My nephew has Autism. He's difficult, but he's also amazing because he's a reading and math prodigy. :) How old was your son when he was diagnosed?

My nephew has Autism. He's difficult, but he's also amazing because he's a reading and math prodigy. :) How old was your son when he was diagnosed?

It was a very long process!! He got miss-diagnosed for a long time!! He got his first diagnoses at three...but they didn't figure out that he was autistic till he was around 9 yrs old...by then he had been on the wrong meds and his system was a mess!! I had him in the hospital twice for dissimpaction's and now he has megacolon syndrome as a direct result of the Concerta that he was erroneously taking for ADHD which he does NOT have!!! He also has an encomprieces problem now that is a direct result of his mega colon. He has at least 4-5 BM accidents a week!! That is HELL! He has a tendency to try to "hide" his soiled pants, but the oder gives them away...I find myself going on a soiled pants hunt every other day or so...it is very exhausting!! But...at least he does not play with his BM anymore...I truly have been through Hell with this kid!!! You have no idea how much I despise and resent his father for walking out and leaving me to raise him alone!!! The coward could not handle his disorder!!! Ooooh!!! Don't get me started on the ex.... :angry:

...My son is a prodigy at the piano!! without even taking a lesson, he can duplicate tunes from just the first time that he hears them. He is also a wiz at puzzles!! He can put a 1000 piece puzzle together in a day or two...'course, he will do little else till he finishes the puzzle!! ant it is a battle to tear him away from something that he has fixated on!! I buy lots of puzzles, they help keep the Peace around here!!

...He also drives us all nut with his obsession with reading the ingredients of all our food labels!!! He will not let me put the groceries away till he reads EVERY label!! OUT LOUD, and gets irate if we don't listen to him read off the ingredients...what a PAIN!!!!!

...Gotta love him!!!!!

Hahahaha!!!! That reminds me of my nephew in a lot of ways. :lol: I know it's extremely difficult for you, but it brings back some fond (and not so fond) memories of my nephew. I am so sorry you have to go through this alone. What resources do you have available to you? In our state, the Department of Disability pays for someone to take care of him a certain number of hours per week so the parents can get a break. They also paid for his Pull-Ups for as long as he needed them. How old is your son now? I used to take care of my nephew and we had quite a few poo issues. RIP Monopoly board.

Hey, we should have a whole thread about Autism. I know there are others out there also struggling with this. My sister-in-law has become an expert on it and went back to school for Special Education. She does private consulting now and she wrote a book too. :) She also works in a class full of Autistic children. It has been a trial for her being the mom of an Autistic child, but it has become her passion and she seems to enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to deal with him best. I remember the days when it just plain drove her nuts, but wow has she grown! She is an amazing woman.

Hahahaha!!!! That reminds me of my nephew in a lot of ways. :lol: I know it's extremely difficult for you, but it brings back some fond (and not so fond) memories of my nephew. I am so sorry you have to go through this alone. What resources do you have available to you? In our state, the Department of Disability pays for someone to take care of him a certain number of hours per week so the parents can get a break. They also paid for his Pull-Ups for as long as he needed them. How old is your son now? I used to take care of my nephew and we had quite a few poo issues. RIP Monopoly board.

Hey, we should have a whole thread about Autism. I know there are others out there also struggling with this. My sister-in-law has become an expert on it and went back to school for Special Education. She does private consulting now and she wrote a book too. :) She also works in a class full of Autistic children. It has been a trial for her being the mom of an Autistic child, but it has become her passion and she seems to enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to deal with him best. I remember the days when it just plain drove her nuts, but wow has she grown! She is an amazing woman.

My son wore pull-ups until he was about 10...now he refuses to wear them!! He has an intensive case manager who comes to visit him once a week, and he goes to day treatment all year round...but I have nobody to give me "breaks" I am alone in raising these kids...He is 13.

Fascinating discussion on austism guys, but back to the topic, nudge nudge...

About twice a year our bishopric has a sunday where all the talks are on reverence. That usually works for a few months, then the noise levels creep up bit by bit, until we have to have another one.

Kids are difficult to keep reverent (sometimes i have trouble feeling reverent myself!) it is a skill, they have to learn and develop it, through example and reminding.

Bribery is good too. :lol:

About twice a year our bishopric has a sunday where all the talks are on reverence. That usually works for a few months, then the noise levels creep up bit by bit, until we have to have another one.

Kids are difficult to keep reverent (sometimes i have trouble feeling reverent myself!) it is a skill, they have to learn and develop it, through example and reminding.

Nudge acknowledged...sorry, my bad!!! :rolleyes:

I know in my ward it is loud because that is the example set by the adults. My personal belief (although I am quilty of breaking it) is that the chapel should be a "quiet" place to prepare to be with the spirit of the Lord. People should take their everyday chatter out to the hallway. Once one conversation starts everyone is competing with each other. Of course being on time for church helps with reverence too ;)

I know in my ward it is loud because that is the example set by the adults. My personal belief (although I am guilty of breaking it) is that the chapel should be a "quiet" place to prepare to be with the spirit of the Lord. People should take their everyday chatter out to the hallway. Once one conversation starts everyone is competing with each other. Of course being on time for church helps with reverence too ;)

I feel that the everyday chatter should be taken all the way out side. You can still hear it in the Chapel AND in the classrooms. We could never get the Primary to settle down as long as the adults were in the hallway gossiping! Many times I invited the adults to leave the building or to sit with their children - your choice. They left the building.

I enjoy visiting when I go to Church, but I would much rather find an empty class room and sit and visit than stand in the hallways and compete with others in volume to be heard - and that is just what it is - competing to be heard.

• 3 weeks later...

Our ward is quite talkative in the chapel and even when we have a talk on reverence, people immediately are chattering away afterwards! :lol: Maybe we should have reverent children stand up front or something? Also, I think maybe different musical prelude would be nice because people get used to the organ and somehow think it is meant to accompany their conversations. Varying the music might help. Hmmm ... That would make an interesting experiment. :)

Our ward is quite talkative in the chapel and even when we have a talk on reverence, people immediately are chattering away afterwards! :lol: Maybe we should have reverent children stand up front or something? Also, I think maybe different musical prelude would be nice because people get used to the organ and somehow think it is meant to accompany their conversations. Varying the music might help. Hmmm ... That would make an interesting experiment. :)

Thats what we do. We put two reverent children up front by the President. It's just a friendly reminder.

• 1 month later...

Maybe this is different but here it is anyway.....I guess this is on the Crying Babies topic....A few years ago, I was sitting in the front foyer of one of the church's beautiful temples, waiting for friends of mine who were on a temple session with me that evening. A young mother (bless her heart) with her one year old baby was there sitting on the couch. The baby started fuzzing and several people in the area started acting like they were getting uncomfortable with the crying. I hope I don't sound like I'm being self righteous here, but a thought came to my mind that said, this one year old is probably the most pure and worthy of all the people (me included) sitting in the foyer, that evening. The cries of the one year old was probably the most beloved and pure prayer to the ears of the Lord Himself. Now it is a different story if you are seeing a toddler running up and down the aisle during sacrament meeting which I think, parents should deal with it immediately, but then, no one is perfect....That's my 25 cent opinion...

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this is different but here it is anyway.....I guess this is on the Crying Babies topic....A few years ago, I was sitting in the front foyer of one of the church's beautiful temples, waiting for friends of mine who were on a temple session with me that evening. A young mother (bless her heart) with her one year old baby was there sitting on the couch. The baby started fuzzing and several people in the area started acting like they were getting uncomfortable with the crying. I hope I don't sound like I'm being self righteous here, but a thought came to my mind that said, this one year old is probably the most pure and worthy of all the people (me included) sitting in the foyer, that evening. The cries of the one year old was probably the most beloved and pure prayer to the ears of the Lord Himself. Now it is a different story if you are seeing a toddler running up and down the aisle during sacrament meeting which I think, parents should deal with it immediately, but then, no one is perfect....That's my 25 cent opinion...

That's a very nice thought. Thank you for that. I often wish I could see how the Savior interracted with the kids. I can try to imagine, but with some situations I have no idea what to do.