The Face Of Jesus

Snow

Originally posted by bizabra+May 9 2004, 09:15 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bizabra @ May 9 2004, 09:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Jenda@May 8 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by -Snow@May 8 2004, 04:47 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--curvette@May 8 2004, 03:28 PM

John never saw Christ?  I thought he was his favorite disciple.

No one knows who wrote John. It's primarily a matter of tradition. The author claims to have been an eyewitness to the events he described and the proof of such is that he claimed it. There is a bit of external testimony. Iraneus, a disciple of Polycarp claimed Johannine authorship but he lived well after the time of John so he is only a secondhand, late source.

That could be true, of course, if you discount Christ's testimony in 3 Nephi about John being changed in the twinkling of an eye, just like the 3 Nephites, and is still alive today doing the same work he was commissioned to do close to 2000 years ago.

Yeah, RIGHT! The idea of immortal men wandering about cracks me up! The mormon legends about the 3 Nephites are funny to read.

I think the existance of vampires and werewolves is more likely. . . . . .

C'mon! You've never heard any "3 Nephite" testimonies? :blink:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bizabra

Of course I have! I have a lot of mormon relatives that live in Southern Idaho! heh heh heh!

I've also read lots of "testimonies" about alien abductions and UFO sightings. Does that mean those things also are "true" and "really happened"?

I don't think so. . . . . . . .

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by bizabra@May 10 2004, 09:14 AM

Of course I have! I have a lot of mormon relatives that live in Southern Idaho! heh heh heh!

I've also read lots of "testimonies" about alien abductions and UFO sightings. Does that mean those things also are "true" and "really happened"?

I don't think so. . . . . . . .

LOL :lol:

Originally posted by Davis@Apr 29 2004, 08:57 PM

Really! And what did he look like the last time you SAW him?

Like the picture with the red robe....facing towards my left.

This one?

Posted Image

Not to rain on your parade, but Jesus was black. The guy in that picture, he isn't black.

Do any of you know the story behind this particular photo of Christ? The American artist who painted it, Del Parson, was asked by the First Presidency back in 1983 to paint a portrait of Jesus Christ. Brother Parson painted one, took it to the First Presidency to see if it was what they wanted. Apologetically they told Brother Parson that is wasn't quite right and asked him to try again. Brother Parson changed the painting, hoping it was what the First Presidency was anticipating. He returned for the second time, and again he was asked if he would redo it, it just wasn't right. Brother Parson took it home AGAIN and returned to the First Presidency for a third time. As soon as they saw this photo the First Presidency told Brother Parson that this was it, this was what they were looking for.

I cannot help but think, if the Prophet of God didn't know what Christ looked like, why would he be so particular with a painting of Christ? Even if the Prophet Spencer W. Kimball (the prophet at the time) hadn't seen God or Christ (which I have no doctrine to prove this, but cannot help but personally believe every Prophet of God has seen God and/or Christ) do you really think he'd make decisions based on his OWN desires and unjustified beliefs? No, he would do what the Spirit prompted him to do ... I trust the any Prophet of God and the choices he makes, as small and unseemingly insignificant as they might appear at first.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by UtahStateRunner@May 14 2004, 07:50 AM

Do any of you know the story behind this particular photo of Christ? The American artist who painted it, Del Parson, was asked by the First Presidency back in 1983 to paint a portrait of Jesus Christ. Brother Parson painted one, took it to the First Presidency to see if it was what they wanted. Apologetically they told Brother Parson that is wasn't quite right and asked him to try again. Brother Parson changed the painting, hoping it was what the First Presidency was anticipating. He returned for the second time, and again he was asked if he would redo it, it just wasn't right. Brother Parson took it home AGAIN and returned to the First Presidency for a third time. As soon as they saw this photo the First Presidency told Brother Parson that this was it, this was what they were looking for.

Some people LOVE their urban legends. Here's the real story:

According to Bro. Parson, the painting was indeed commissioned by the Church, but he worked with the curriculum department to create a painting suitable for their needs. There were several revisions in the process to develop a picture suitable for their needs; there was never an indication that the revisions were to make the portrait "more accurate."

Originally posted by curvette@May 14 2004, 10:41 AM

Some people LOVE their urban legends.

Or some people just listen to firesides ;) whichever you prefer ... My source is a published fireside talk (*not by a GA*). If your account is accurate, I naively believed the fireside talk ... tsk, tsk ... gotta stop listening to those firesides!!! :) Honestly though, I would rather naively believe harmless inaccurate information than be skeptic to every single thing I hear in a church setting.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by UtahStateRunner@May 14 2004, 09:45 AM

Or some people just listen to firesides ;) whichever you prefer ... My source is a published fireside talk (*not by a GA*). If your account is accurate, I naively believed the fireside talk ... tsk, tsk ... gotta stop listening to those firesides!!! :) Honestly though, I would rather naively believe harmless inaccurate information than be skeptic to every single thing I hear in a church setting.

You can believe whatever you like. I've just learned that urban legends are RAMPANT is the church (as well as other places), and it's good to check information before using it to argue your point.

Originally posted by curvette@May 14 2004, 10:59 AM

You can believe whatever you like. I've just learned that urban legends are RAMPANT is the church (as well as other places), and it's good to check information before using it to argue your point.

Very good point.

However, I think the REAL point I was trying to get across (which works even without that story) is this: I believe that the Prophets (and I personally believe [not doctrine] that all Prophets) have most likely seen God and Christ. I would think that if the picture (as well as the generic image of what He looks like) was so far off, they'd find a way for a more accurate image to be produced. Am I the only one who thinks this?

And something I just thought of, the man they had play Christ in The Testaments, they were very specific about who they picked by looks (but more thoroughly by the life style he lives ...) and even altered his facial features (not permenantly by surgery or anything) to more accurately depict Christ. This is a fact from Tomas Kofod who played Christ in the film whom I've met and spoken to.

Just my random thoughts ... :)

Guest Starsky

David B. Haight has a book out which tells of his own experience of witnessing the whole life of Christ while he was unconscience for several days.

I believe the prophets know Christ personally. I know Him personally, why not the leaders of HIS CHURCH???

Originally posted by Starsky@May 14 2004, 01:01 PM

David B. Haight has a book out which tells of his own experience of witnessing the whole life of Christ while he was unconscience for several days.

I believe the prophets know Christ personally. I know Him personally, why not the leaders of HIS CHURCH???

Starsky:

Do you know the name of the book?

(if your last comment is directed to my statements, I know the leaders know Him, I know I know Him. But I personally do not have any references recorded statements that the Prophets [besides JS] that state they have seen Christ). :)

Guest Starsky

The book is: A Light Unto The World.

Here is an exerp from it:

"The evening of my health crisis, I knew something very serious had happened to me. Events happend so swifty--the pain striking with such intensity, my dear wife, Ruby, phoning the doctor and our family, and I on my knees leaning over the bathtub for support and some comfort and hoped-for relief from the pain. I was pleading to my Heavenly Father to spare my life a while longer, to give me a little more time to do his work, if it be his will.

While still praying, I began to lose consciousness. The siren of the paramedic truck was the last that I remembered before unconsciousness overtook me, which lasted for the next several days.

The terrible pain and commotion of people ceased. I was now in a calm, peaceful setting; all was serene and quiet. I was conscieous of two persons in the distance on a hillside, one standing on a higher level than the other. Detailed features were not discernible. The person on the higher level was pointing to something I could not see. I heard no voices but was consious of being in a holy presence and atmosphere. During the hours and days that followed, there was impressed again and again upon my mind the eternal mission and exalted position of the Son of Man. I witness to you that he is Jesus the Christ, the Son of God, Savior to all, Redeemer of all mankind, Bestower of infinite love, mercy, and forgiveness, the Light and Life of the world. I knew this truth before--I had nver doubted nor wondered. But now I knew because of the impressions of the Spirit upon my heart and soul, there divine truths in a most unusual way.

I was shown a panoramic view of his earthly ministry; his baptism, his teaching, his healing the sick and lame, the mock trial, his ctrucifixion, his resurrection and ascension. There followed scenes of his earthly ministry to my mind in impressive detail, confirming scriptural eyewitness accounts. I was being taught, and the eyes of my understanding were opened by the Holy Spirit of God so as to behold many things.

The first scene was of the Savior and his apostles in the upper chamber on the eve of his betrayal. Following the Passover supper, he gave instruction and prepared the sacrament of the Lord's Supper for his dearest friends as a remembrance of his coming sacrifice. It was so impressively portrayed to me--the overwhelming love of the Savior for each. I witnessed his thoughtful concern for significan details--the wasing of the dusty feet of each apostle, his breaking and ablessing of the loaf of dark bread and blessing of the wine, then his dreadful disclosure that one would betray him."

......anyway...that is part of this disclosure of personal testimony.