The Face Of Jesus

Snow

Guest curvette

Maybe there is a reason that Jesus is never really physically described in the scriptures. I think Jesus wants us to see His face in every person who needs our help the most. "As ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren..." Jesus looks like the most pathetic human being on the planet. I think this is what he wants to look like to us.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Jenda@Apr 29 2004, 08:25 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if Christ  just came today?

YES!!!!!

Why?

Because it would be. Christ will come back when the world is ready for him, when a people have prepared a place for him. When He comes, Zion will come again, and He will reign there for 1000 years.

Some of us really believe this and pray for it daily. I am one of them.

What if he forgot that he is supposed to come back, and never does?

Even if Jesus is never coming back, I'll still keep waiting for him.

Originally posted by Starsky@Apr 28 2004, 05:43 PM

Well that is not what Jesus looks like.

Really! And what did he look like the last time you SAW him?

Like the picture with the red robe....facing towards my left.

This one?

Posted Image

Not to rain on your parade, but Jesus was black. The guy in that picture, he isn't black.

Originally posted by Jenda@Apr 29 2004, 09:38 PM

Jesus would have been olive-complected, like the Jews of the middle east today.

I'm pretty sure that the jews of the bible were black, unlike the European decended jews of today. I'll go do some research and let you know.

Originally posted by Davis+Apr 29 2004, 08:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Davis @ Apr 29 2004, 08:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Apr 29 2004, 09:38 PM

Jesus would have been olive-complected, like the Jews of the middle east today.

I'm pretty sure that the jews of the bible were black, unlike the European decended jews of today. I'll go do some research and let you know.

The middle-eastern Jews and the European Jews are not the same. A lot of the European Jews are converts. The middle-eastern Jews would look like their Palestinian cousins (since they are ..... well......... cousins (genetically speaking)), olive-complected.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Davis@Apr 29 2004, 10:35 PM

I'm coming up with little of substance, but is it true that Jesus was from North Africa?

Uh...no. Are you in tune with your Bible?

Originally posted by curvette@Apr 29 2004, 07:37 PM

Maybe there is a reason that Jesus is never really physically described in the scriptures. I think Jesus wants us to see His face in every person who needs our help the most. "As ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren..." Jesus looks like the most pathetic human being on the planet. I think this is what he wants to look like to us.

Great thought, curvy!

Originally posted by curvette+May 1 2004, 01:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ May 1 2004, 01:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Davis@Apr 29 2004, 10:35 PM

I'm coming up with little of substance, but is it true that Jesus was from North Africa?

Uh...no. Are you in tune with your Bible?

I don't know what color jesus was, but if God made the majority of his children in his likeness, he must have pretty dark skin.

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by Cal+May 1 2004, 09:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cal @ May 1 2004, 09:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--curvette@Apr 29 2004, 07:37 PM

Maybe there is a reason that Jesus is never really physically described in the scriptures.  I think Jesus wants us to see His face in every person who needs our help the most.  "As ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren..."  Jesus looks like the most pathetic human being on the planet.  I think this is what he wants to look like to us.

Cool.

Guest bizabra

Originally posted by Luzia@Apr 29 2004, 06:13 PM

Never said that helps us to know what he looks like, just said that we once watched him face to face.

*shrugs*

Heh.

How we look is determined by our genes, inherited from our parents.

IF we existed as "intelligences" prior to our birth, once that "spirit" is deposited in a physical body that is carbon based and organized by our DNA into the person we are, THEN it stands to reason that "we" look much different as a physical being than as a spiritual one.

How then could we recognize each other? Do you suppose that Jesus as a human looked exactly like he would have prior, during the "war"? Given that he is literally the SON OF GOD, then he might have had SOME resemblance, but he had to have inherited 1/2 of Mary's genes and so would not be EXACTLY as he looked as a "spirit".

Mind you, I don't believe any of this scenario is "true", just tossing it around as an idea.

Guest bizabra
Well that is not what Jesus looks like.

Really! And what did he look like the last time you SAW him?

Like the picture with the red robe....facing towards my left.

This one?

Posted Image

Not to rain on your parade, but Jesus was black. The guy in that picture, he isn't black.

OOHHH! He looks sort of like Charlton Heston. LOL

Guest Starsky

I knew several sets of identical twins....who didn't really look like each other because their countenances were so different.

Maybe it is image of Christ in our countenances we should be looking for...

Guest bizabra

I expect that in a few years all mormon chapels will have portraits of Jesus depicting him in a missionary haircut and sporting a conservative suit and tie! After all, he would not be allowed to even pass the sacrament if he showed up today in his usual historical garb, let alone bless babies or attend the temple!! What kind of example to the youth would THAT be?

Although I can't imagine he would be willing to trade in something as comfy and easy as loose robes, long hair, a beard, and sandals, for a suit, tie and daily shave! However, given that that IS the image that THE CHURCH wishes it's young men present to the world, I suspect the powers that be would hope he would also dress that way.

Heh heh

Originally posted by curvette@Apr 29 2004, 07:37 PM

Maybe there is a reason that Jesus is never really physically described in the scriptures. I think Jesus wants us to see His face in every person who needs our help the most.

Or, more likely, the people who wrote the gospels never personally saw Christ.

Originally posted by Snow+May 7 2004, 07:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ May 7 2004, 07:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--curvette@Apr 29 2004, 07:37 PM

Maybe there is a reason that Jesus is never really physically described in the scriptures.  I think Jesus wants us to see His face in every person who needs our help the most.

And I can think of yet another reason, but darsn't mention it aloud lest I offend the Benevolent Fraternity and Sorority of Easter Bunny Faithful.

Guest curvette
Originally posted by Snow+May 7 2004, 06:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ May 7 2004, 06:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--curvette@Apr 29 2004, 07:37 PM

Maybe there is a reason that Jesus is never really physically described in the scriptures.  I think Jesus wants us to see His face in every person who needs our help the most.

John never saw Christ? I thought he was his favorite disciple.

Originally posted by curvette@May 8 2004, 03:28 PM

John never saw Christ? I thought he was his favorite disciple.

No one knows who wrote John. It's primarily a matter of tradition. The author claims to have been an eyewitness to the events he described and the proof of such is that he claimed it. There is a bit of external testimony. Iraneus, a disciple of Polycarp claimed Johannine authorship but he lived well after the time of John so he is only a secondhand, late source.

Originally posted by Snow+May 8 2004, 04:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ May 8 2004, 04:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--curvette@May 8 2004, 03:28 PM

John never saw Christ?  I thought he was his favorite disciple.

No one knows who wrote John. It's primarily a matter of tradition. The author claims to have been an eyewitness to the events he described and the proof of such is that he claimed it. There is a bit of external testimony. Iraneus, a disciple of Polycarp claimed Johannine authorship but he lived well after the time of John so he is only a secondhand, late source.

That could be true, of course, if you discount Christ's testimony in 3 Nephi about John being changed in the twinkling of an eye, just like the 3 Nephites, and is still alive today doing the same work he was commissioned to do close to 2000 years ago.

Originally posted by Jenda+May 8 2004, 06:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jenda @ May 8 2004, 06:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Snow@May 8 2004, 04:47 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--curvette@May 8 2004, 03:28 PM

That could be true, of course, if you discount Christ's testimony in 3 Nephi about John being changed in the twinkling of an eye, just like the 3 Nephites, and is still alive today doing the same work he was commissioned to do close to 2000 years ago.

Huh?

Even if you DON'T discount anything, still no one knows who wrote John and Iraneus was still a disciple of of Polycarp.

Guest bizabra
Originally posted by Jenda+May 8 2004, 06:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jenda @ May 8 2004, 06:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Snow@May 8 2004, 04:47 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--curvette@May 8 2004, 03:28 PM

Yeah, RIGHT! The idea of immortal men wandering about cracks me up! The mormon legends about the 3 Nephites are funny to read.

I think the existance of vampires and werewolves is more likely. . . . . .