Korihor

Still_Small_Voice

I was reading Alma chapter 30 last night. One thing that stuck out to me was the reason why Korihor was doing what he was doing.

Alma 30

17 And many more such things did he say unto them, telling them that there could be no atonement made for the sins of men, but every man fared in this life according to the management of the creature; therefore every man prospered according to his genius, and that every man conquered according to his strength; and whatsoever a man did was no crime.

18 And thus he did preach unto them, leading away the hearts of many, causing them to lift up their heads in their wickedness, yea, leading away many women, and also men, to commit whoredoms—telling them that when a man was dead, that was the end thereof.

And after Korihor was struck deaf and dumb he wrote:

53 But behold, the devil hath deceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel, and said unto me: Go and reclaim this people, for they have all gone astray after an unknown God. And he said unto me: There is no God; yea, and he taught me that which I should say. And I have taught his words; and I taught them because they were pleasing unto the carnal mind; and I taught them, even until I had much success, insomuch that I verily believed that they were true; and for this cause I withstood the truth, even until I have brought this great curse upon me.

Reading these scriptures it is apparent to me that Korihor taught what he did because he desired to live a life of sexual immorality.

Any thoughts?

I was reading Alma chapter 30 last night. One thing that stuck out to me was the reason why Korihor was doing what he was doing.

Alma 30

17 And many more such things did he say unto them, telling them that there could be no atonement made for the sins of men, but every man fared in this life according to the management of the creature; therefore every man prospered according to his genius, and that every man conquered according to his strength; and whatsoever a man did was no crime.

18 And thus he did preach unto them, leading away the hearts of many, causing them to lift up their heads in their wickedness, yea, leading away many women, and also men, to commit whoredoms—telling them that when a man was dead, that was the end thereof.

And after Korihor was struck deaf and dumb he wrote:

53 But behold, the devil hath deceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel, and said unto me: Go and reclaim this people, for they have all gone astray after an unknown God. And he said unto me: There is no God; yea, and he taught me that which I should say. And I have taught his words; and I taught them because they were pleasing unto the carnal mind; and I taught them, even until I had much success, insomuch that I verily believed that they were true; and for this cause I withstood the truth, even until I have brought this great curse upon me.

Reading these scriptures it is apparent to me that Korihor taught what he did because he desired to live a life of sexual immorality.

Any thoughts?

Korihor was most likely a member of THE secret combination that has, as it's goal, "...to murder and get gain"

His carnal desires seemed to include but go much farther that "just" sexual deviance, rather, he was consumed with the lust for power and gain.

....he was consumed with the lust for power and gain.

I think this is the greatest lust of the Gadianton Robbers. But it's interesting that he says "But behold, the devil hath deceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel, and said unto me: Go and reclaim this people, for they have all gone astray after an unknown God. And he said unto me: There is no God; yea, and he taught me that which I should say." This sounds like what some of our EV friends who want to reclaim the LDS people.

I think this is the greatest lust of the Gadianton Robbers. But it's interesting that he says "But behold, the devil hath deceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel, and said unto me: Go and reclaim this people, for they have all gone astray after an unknown God. And he said unto me: There is no God; yea, and he taught me that which I should say." This sounds like what some of our EV friends who want to reclaim the LDS people.

THEsecret combination is the counterfeit of the Church and is led by the direct "angelic" revelation of Lucifer.

What is stunning to me is who apparently belongs to this group.

What is fascinating is that Satan still works today the same way he did back then. There are many today teaching similar lies to what Korihor taught. Satan always has his followers and follows the same plan, just with different people. I'm sure we can think of many groups that are believing the doctrine believed by Korihor's followers.