Dating On A Budget

MorningStar

Not long ago we had a weekly marriage class on Friday nights and it was so wonderful! We had some friends volunteer to watch our kids while we went to it and I realized how important it was to go on an actual date rather than put the kids to bed and stay up late watching a movie and talking. It's good to get out! After class we would usually get a quick bite somewhere, but that gets expensive.

What are your favorite inexpensive date ideas? It was easier for us to ask friends to watch our kids for a class than a date and we plan on swapping so they can go on dates too. It's hard enough affording the date itself let alone the babysitter.

This time of year is a good time to go for a walk to look at the color changes. Pick up dried flowers and colored leaves and then go home to put them in wax paper. Make a little date night scrap book. That way when the weather turns cold you can curl up on the floor together and look at past dates. Don't forget the digital camera.

This time of year is a good time to go for a walk to look at the color changes. Pick up dried flowers and colored leaves and then go home to put them in wax paper. Make a little date night scrap book. That way when the weather turns cold you can curl up on the floor together and look at past dates. Don't forget the digital camera.

We have a YMCA membership so recently my husband and I went to the Y for our date. We went swimming and sat in the hot tub together. It was fun and nice... and already paid for! But if you don't have a gym membership with a pool or whatever... usually local pools are fairly inexpensive for a session.

Those are some very nice ideas! Thank you. :D

This summer I wanted to go fishing with my husband, but we never got a chance. I thought it would be fun just to sit and talk. The first time he took the kids with him, our 3-year-old threw his cell phone in the lake. I went diving for it later, but it was too deepy and murky.

Oct. 19th is our 11 year anniversary and I'm trying to figure out what to do that night. It's a Friday and our son is being baptized the next day. I would like to go do sealings together at the temple. That would be really nice. Then we could go out to dinner and hopefully the kids will get to stay at Grandma's house.

Those are some very nice ideas! Thank you. :D

This summer I wanted to go fishing with my husband, but we never got a chance. I thought it would be fun just to sit and talk. The first time he took the kids with him, our 3-year-old threw his cell phone in the lake. I went diving for it later, but it was too deepy and murky.

Oct. 19th is our 11 year anniversary and I'm trying to figure out what to do that night. It's a Friday and our son is being baptized the next day. I would like to go do sealings together at the temple. That would be really nice. Then we could go out to dinner and hopefully the kids will get to stay at Grandma's house.

That sounds wonderful. congrats on 11 years. Dinner and some sealings different combo but I think it would be alright. :)

Put together a picnic basket and drive to a park, or area that is a bit secluded. Take a walk with your honey and enjoy the outdoors, then have your picnic. Catch the sunset, or even make that a sunrise picnic.

I wish we still had our adult tricycles - then we could leisurely cycle around, then eat a picnic lunch. It is getting cooler now, where we can do this in the day time hours. During the summer it would kill us -120 degree weather!

Put together a picnic basket and drive to a park, or area that is a bit secluded. Take a walk with your honey and enjoy the outdoors, then have your picnic. Catch the sunset, or even make that a sunrise picnic.

I wish we still had our adult tricycles - then we could leisurely cycle around, then eat a picnic lunch. It is getting cooler now, where we can do this in the day time hours. During the summer it would kill us -120 degree weather!

Great ideas! I wish we could buy a brand new couch and cuddle on it. We have been through so many used couches that just didn't work out for one reason or another (one of them had cushions that would slide off, another had the wood exposed before long, and now we have a futon with a broken frame that keeps leaning into the wall). We like to watch movies together, but I can't stand leaning way back on our futon. I want to save for a leather one because I am allergic to dust mites and I could wipe it off if anything dreadful happens to it (all of our previous couches were puked on). It would be so fun to cuddle on a comfy couch and enjoy a movie together while the kids are at Grandma's. :) Our anniversary is tomorrow.

• 7 months later...

We only "get out" on a date about once a year (and half the time that "date" is to the maternity ward... ;) )

What we like to do, though, is simple things, like sit on the front porch and look at the stars after all the kids are asleep, fix the kids bikes, sneek up in the middle of the night, like 3am, and play a good board game or just talk, go on a walk around our house, cook something, even fix something like the leaky faucet - it doesn't really matter so much what you do, but that you do it together. I love spending time with my husband! We also love taking our kids on dates. It's kind of become a tradition. Our second aniversary we were contemplating what to do with our kid, when someone suggested we take him with us. It was wonderfull, and much more fun and better than it would have been with just us two. So we have taken our kids with us to celebrate aniversaries etc. ever since. We plan on doing the Disney thing for our 10th! It wil be so much fun - we didn't do anything expensive like that for our honeymoon - but it will be so much more fun with our kids. But then our love for our kids holds us together. There's nothing we enjoy more than discussing how wonderfull they are, and on those rare ocasions when we go and do something without them, we end up talking about how much we miss them.

Saving money on food -- buy one of those 2 for 1 coupon books tht have good restaraunts featured.

Saving money on flowers -- live near a graveyard? Remember, take off any sympathy cards on the flowers.:D I used to joke with the young men before prom that they could save a lot of money using this technique.

Pick up a bird book, and do some reading before hand. Peterson's or Sibley's are the best. Both if you get into it.

do some heavy reading, then take an early morning walk in the park or the woods, taking the book with you. 8 power binocs, and you are set. You can do most bird-watching with eyes alone, so it is dirt cheap.

Great date.

I love the hanging out at the library! My H and I have gone to our favorite libraries and looked thru great art books. We are art lovers! Not to mention the architecture of some of these libraries -- so beautiful!

We also stay home and play scramble. We are fierce competitors. Of course, I always win! :)

Guest GhostRider

When I lived out in the country one thing We would do is go fishing. Would take a lunch and just pend the day out on the dock of a friend of ours.

Other is horse back riding, camping. Would also play scrabble...the funny thing is...I won using the word Et....we were listening to bill engvall and when I put it down the wife (ex now) just looked at me..when i hit the track on the CD she about lost it...good times!

Et...past tense...he Et his biscuit. in other parts of the worls its Eat..

Guest GhostRider

We also go fishing and it's rare, but sometimes we go shooting.

We did that also!

here is one for ya all....Movie night. Some Mcdonalds have DVD rental machines. Grab some Mcy D's then take the movie home and watch it over some fine dining..jk. But it is a pretty good thing.

Guest GhostRider

Here is one for the Family Date Night.... If you like horses and cattle yada yada..a rodeo...There is actually one here that is geared more towards family. All age group compete...literaly (and yes I may actually get dumb again and compete in 2 weeks! so I will be by far the oldest in the novice bull riding!). They have the Mutton Bustin (in Texas its called wooly riders or little britches), Calf rides, Barrel races and Bull rides. The funny thing to watch is the little guys doin the Muttin Bustin. It is so funny to watch these kids being led aroundthe areana on a sheep. The Calf ride was won by one of the bull riders litle girl. Yes...you read correctly. She is 11 years old and compeates in bull riding, and barrel racing. Mom competed in the barrel racing and Dad in the bull riding. They also have a contest for "chip off the block". Its to see what kid/parent combo dresses the same. it was pretty funny. A mother daughter won.

Another is the zoo or a museum. There are lots of small town museums that are off the beaten path that hold a lot of interesting things. As your driving on vacation stop at some. the entry is very small and you might be amazed at what sort of historical artifacts that are there. There is one in Enis Texas that I stopped at to stretch my legs that had Rail road rai and artifacts from the 1800's. They also had some Items from the town that dated from when the town first excisted!

Another one in texas actually had old cowboy gear. Pistols from the 1880's and such as that.