Reactivation

We have some singles in our ward who love being a regular part of FHE with some of our families. I know a couple of sisters who always go to one family's house and they have truly made them a part of the family. Being single and on your own is a pretty lonely time. Today I was happy to see this guy at church whose parents just split up. He was supposed to go on a mission, but I think it's being delayed due to the turmoil in this family. His dad remarried within a couple months of divorcing and moved to Idaho. His mom moved to Utah just a couple weeks ago. I think he doesn't want to choose either of them right now. He looks so sad. :( His family has a lot of healing to do. My husband was telling me when he was in the MTC, one of his friends' parents met him at the Provo Temple and told him while they were there that they were getting a divorce. What a way to start your mission! :(

You know, Ive asked this is several places and all i get is inviting people to activities and being geniune friends. I dont think this is a bad thing. But for some reason I keep feeling like there is a point missing.

Throughout the scriptures I dont see them inviting others to activities. I mean I know there is fellowship and geniune friendships but from what I see it starts with a similiar feeling of the Gospel.

For example, Alma didnt go out and invite the less active Saints to activities. He went and shared his testimony with them. And its the Testimony that allows the Spirit to touch people. Its the Spirit that gets people to act. The Spirit that gets people to return.

Am I wrong here? I just feel like we are trying to sneak the gospel onto people the other way.

Hi avatar...

I get your point... but sometimes by inviting them to a less formal setting puts them at ease... it is not always easy to reactivate. Visiting teachers who invite sisters to a Relief Society activity are giving that person the opportunity to feel of the Spirit as we share in prayer, friendship, sisterhood... inviting them to FHE gives an opportunity to bear testimony during a spiritual lesson, again in an informal setting. Invitations to attend Church will hopefully be more readily accepted as they have already met people and hopefully had a positive experience.

Bearing testimony is important, and yes invites the Spirit... but you'd be surprised how many sisters have started reactivating because of attending RS with visiting teachers...

The Garden Girl

Generally, members who fall off the boat for a time at any age know that they should be in the Church. Inviting them gives more opportunities for them to make the right choice. However, a phone call saying, "We're having a potluck Saturday" may not be enough. In my college ward, we had some good success by simply knocking on people's doors when they didn't show up at Church. Sometimes when they lived in the dorms across the street from the Institute building where we held Church, a friend and I would go and bang on doors of those who didn't come to Sacrament meeting and try to get them back for Priesthood or Relief Society. Not all of them appreciated the awakening (nor did some roommates), but they all understood that this was important to us, and they could not use the excuse of being "uninvited."

You know, Ive asked this is several places and all i get is inviting people to activities and being geniune friends. I dont think this is a bad thing. But for some reason I keep feeling like there is a point missing.

Throughout the scriptures I dont see them inviting others to activities. I mean I know there is fellowship and geniune friendships but from what I see it starts with a similiar feeling of the Gospel.

For example, Alma didnt go out and invite the less active Saints to activities. He went and shared his testimony with them. And its the Testimony that allows the Spirit to touch people. Its the Spirit that gets people to act. The Spirit that gets people to return.

Am I wrong here? I just feel like we are trying to sneak the gospel onto people the other way.

Some people need to be handled with kid gloves. Encouraged constantly. Spurred along if you will. Share your testimony and encourage them to come back. Some will, some won't. The way of the world is quite alureing. Satan has made other things look and feel more appealling than sitting in church for 3 hours. If you can get a firm grip on the fallen saint you just might be able to pull them from satans grasp. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that you have to hold there hand as they grow in the gospel because there faith isn't strong enough yet. It is a matter of do you want to hold there hand or let them parish ? If you feel like your trying to sneak the gospel in on people try hitting them in the face with it. The truth will set you free. People cannot deny truth. I'm not being smart here. People should already know were you stand and when they see you coming they should already know they are in the presence of a saint.

f4k