The History Of The Church's Emphasis On Family

MorningStar

Why would someone make claims like that? I've never known anyone that felt that way.

Eternal marriage and sealing of families have been big things in the church ever since it's latter day conception. That's a matter of church history. It has always been taught that the strength of the church is in the families and homes of its members.

I have a distaste for when people make claims like that, that the church did something for PR. All they're doing is trying to stir up contention.

At times I have seen claims that the church didn't always emphasize family, that is was some kind of PR move. Anyone have any references to show otherwise?

Thanks!

MorningStar

From www.lds.org:

During general conference of October 2002, President Gordon B. Hinckley stressed the importance of consistent family home evening. “We are fearful that this very important program is fading in too many areas,” he said. “This program was begun back in 1915, 87 years ago, when President Joseph F. Smith urged the Latter-day Saints to set aside one evening a week devoted specifically to the family. It was to be a time of teaching, of reading the scriptures, of cultivating talents, of discussing family matters. … In the increasingly frantic rush of our lives it is so important that fathers and mothers sit down with their children, pray together, instruct them in the ways of the Lord, consider their family problems, and let the children express their talents. I am satisfied that this program came under the revelations of the Lord in response to a need among the families of the Church.

“If there was a need 87 years ago, that need is certainly much greater today” (“To Men of the Priesthood,” Ensign, Nov. 2002, 58).

HiJolly

Why would someone make claims like that? I've never known anyone that felt that way.

Eternal marriage and sealing of families have been big things in the church ever since it's latter day conception. That's a matter of church history. It has always been taught that the strength of the church is in the families and homes of its members.

I have a distaste for when people make claims like that, that the church did something for PR. All they're doing is trying to stir up contention.

I know. It doesn't make any sense to me. As far as I knew, the family was always heavily emphasized. Some people also resent charity the church does because they think it's for PR. *sigh* But if we didn't do charity, then we would be criticized for that too. Danged if we do, danged if we don't.

I know. It doesn't make any sense to me. As far as I knew, the family was always heavily emphasized. Some people also resent charity the church does because they think it's for PR. *sigh* But if we didn't do charity, then we would be criticized for that too. Danged if we do, danged if we don't.

You hit it on the head. We are going to be critisized by some no matter what we do or don't do. So we just do what we believe the Lord wants us to do and not worry about the naysayers. What better example do we have of that than in the scriptures themselves of how Christ was treated when he went about doing his ministry.

Elder Wirthlin's October Conference talk hit on charity very well.

At times I have seen claims that the church didn't always emphasize family, that is was some kind of PR move. Anyone have any references to show otherwise?

Thanks!

MorningStar

Maybe one could make that claim the five years prior to Elijah's return with the sealing keys. But I dont see how that claim is credible after that.

Thanks!

MorningStar

Interesting that anyone thinks that it is PR to select a cause that is becoming less popular and is falling apart. In light of alternate life styles the structure of a complete family where a Father and Mother make personal sacrifices of wants, desires and attractions outside such family structure is quite interesting. I wonder if the criticism is given by someone that believes in family as we do but does not want an ally. What kind of mentality does it take to treat a friend as an enemy?

The Traveler

Interesting that anyone thinks that it is PR to select a cause that is becoming less popular and is falling apart. In light of alternate life styles the structure of a complete family where a Father and Mother make personal sacrifices of wants, desires and attractions outside such family structure is quite interesting. I wonder if the criticism is given by someone that believes in family as we do but does not want an ally. What kind of mentality does it take to treat a friend as an enemy?

The Traveler

I think one complaint was about the "Families Can Be Together Forever" phrase and videos that church made. They saw it as the church trying to lure people in with nice ideas and they think that helping people in third world countries is taking advantage of them somehow because if you feed a person who has been living in poverty, they might join the church for that reason. It's a rather cynical way of looking at things. It is our religious belief that we should clothe the naked, feed the hungry, visit the sick and afflicted, which is something we do to follow Christ and it's something that makes me feel happy, but I have never looked at it as PR. When someone is in need, I want to help. Of course, I want to share the gospel too, but I want people to develop their own testimony and receive a witness of the Spirit. There are no strings attached when I serve others and I don't think any of the church's welfare programs have strings attached either. It's truly bizarre to me how people will bash the church when we're trying to help.

I think one complaint was about the "Families Can Be Together Forever" phrase and videos that church made. They saw it as the church trying to lure people in with nice ideas and they think that helping people in third world countries is taking advantage of them somehow because if you feed a person who has been living in poverty, they might join the church for that reason. It's a rather cynical way of looking at things. It is our religious belief that we should clothe the naked, feed the hungry, visit the sick and afflicted, which is something we do to follow Christ and it's something that makes me feel happy, but I have never looked at it as PR. When someone is in need, I want to help. Of course, I want to share the gospel too, but I want people to develop their own testimony and receive a witness of the Spirit. There are no strings attached when I serve others and I don't think any of the church's welfare programs have strings attached either. It's truly bizarre to me how people will bash the church when we're trying to help.

There will always be those that criticize when it is inappropriate – even Satan found ways to criticize G-d. Let us remember that worship is not so much about criticism as it is about prase.

The Traveler