The Book of Mormon – what’s new to you?

18 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

For what it’s worth, Royal Skousen favors the phrase “pleading bar” as the specific place where the defendant stands.

viewcontent.cgi?article=1258&context=ins

Interesting.  I always thought "pleasing bar" made perfect sense...  But that's a fascinating paper.  Thanks. :)

Edited by zil2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tSnaZKUXEE

Perhaps many have seen this video about the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine of Christ.  I realize that it is longer than most would care to listen, but I recommend it if you have not seen it before.  I especially like the reference to Lehi’s Dream and the three points of doctrine of Christ and what we can understand from the examples given in revelation.

The Traveler

On 4/12/2024 at 2:17 PM, Traveler said:

Though I would agree with some of your assessments of confusion over plural marriage in the early Church of the restoration – It is my opinion that that your assumptions of Ether 1 are not well founded.  My great grandfather was a polygamist late in the era of Utah polygamy.   He noted in his journal that most of the polygamists of his era were in error and disobedient to covenants concerning their plural wives (among his references of those disobedient was his brother).   He also referred to his entire family as singular.

What were some of the items he noted in his journal where the polygamists were in error and/or disobedient to covenants?

6 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

What were some of the items he noted in his journal where the polygamists were in error and/or disobedient to covenants?

He seemed to indicate that there was a hierarchy among wives and that the “first chosen” wife played a more prominent role in the family than other wives.  His brother returned from a mission with a new wife.  The previous wife was abandoned to fend for herself and children.  Abandoning (or excluding support for) any wife without legal reason for divorce and then failure to support children without moral reason – or some children more than others – he considered a gross sin.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler