Good Book on Mormon History?

I am looking into coming back to the church and for the little my husband has said he might be interested in slowly investigating it. I don't know much about the church. I was baptized out of parent guilt and have never been an active member. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a couple of books on basic mormon history. I would like to learn the history and my husband really enjoys history so it might be a good introduction for him....well, both of us.

Thanks-

Heckya!

For an indepth and historical view of Joseph Smith's life, I would recommend: Joseph Smith - Rough Stone Rolling, by Richard L Bushman. There are many books that either put Joseph Smith on a pedestal of perfection, and others that attack him as a scoundrel. Bushman's book is a rather faithful historic account, discussing even the difficult issues and trying to see them from Joseph Smith's world view.

There are other books that are geared more to inspire. This isn't one of them. This one definitely informs and leaves you with a good understanding of Joseph Smith as a man and as a prophet.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking into coming back to the church and for the little my husband has said he might be interested in slowly investigating it. I don't know much about the church. I was baptized out of parent guilt and have never been an active member. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a couple of books on basic mormon history. I would like to learn the history and my husband really enjoys history so it might be a good introduction for him....well, both of us.

Thanks-

Heckya!

I could recommend a Church History book that I (blush) think covers LDS Church History in a very human and entertaining way.

That book has received many comments and reviews from readers that it helped them get to know the characters in our history. It is 112 human drama stories about individuals and events in Church History. It is touching, entertaining, and will brighten your outlook on the subject. Every time. Little known stories in Church History, early history as well as fairly recent. Some stories are thought provoking, or controversial, but all will move you to further interest in Mormon History.

For Example:

Did you know that there was a Mormon lady on the Titanic, and her family in Provo didn't know if she'd survived or not. Touching!

There was an LDS family with the Donnor-Reed party that crossed through the Salt Lake Valley (preparing a trail for Brigham and his party that greatly assisted them) and kept going on across the Salt Flats into the Sierra Nevadas, where they were badly snowed in. The mother of that Mormon family, interesting woman that she was, suffered and her fate is very interesting. Parley, Warren Phelps and King Follet escaped from Jail on the 4th of July. What a fun adventure that was.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this book. I wrote it (blush again). I love the stories, I love the individuals in Church History. You will KNOW the PEOPLE in Church History after reading these stories. They are short and easy to read. You can read as many or as few as you'd like or as time allows.

It is Bless Yer Souls, It's the Truth! Our company is Eye Witness History. Contact me or go to Eye Witness History or you can even find it on Ebay.

Through my years of experiences I have read hundreds of books about the History of our Church, even the official History of the Church (both the Documentary and Comprehensive) and many others. I feel I have given you a slice of history that everyone will love. I'm not boasting, people just like the book and you know - I LOVE Church History.

For an easy read: Truth Restored by Gordon B. Hinckley.

For a historical and balanced view: Joseph Smith, Rough Stone Rolling, by Richard Bushman

I would also recommend the Journals of Wilford Woodruff and Parley P. Pratt, which cover much of the Church's early history (and includes the July 4th escape from prison, as mentioned above).

Emma was an amazing woman. Imagine all the trials, suffering and persecution she went through, beside Joseph. And then, when he died, she was left with over $250,000 in debt that Joseph had personally signed for, on behalf of the Church. I know she's an elect lady of God, and will be at Joseph's side in heaven.

Thanks-

Heckya!

If you want a good book on basic Mormon History that's pretty comprehensive, well-written, and fun to read I'd have to recommend, a a good starting place, Latter Days by Coke Newell.

Amazon.com: Latter Days: A Guided Tour Through Six Billion Years of Mormonism: Books: Clayton Corey Newell

I enjoyed it and it's gotten great reviews, and you can get it for like five bucks these days.

"There are few stories in American history that rival for substance the persecution and the perseverance of the Latter-day Saints. This is among the most intimate, accurate and impressive tellings of that story I have read." Richard Paul Evans # 1 New York Times Best Selling Author"

If you like it and then want something meatier or more academic, let me know, I've got a ton, new and old.

Emma was an amazing woman. Imagine all the trials, suffering and persecution she went through, beside Joseph. And then, when he died, she was left with over $250,000 in debt that Joseph had personally signed for, on behalf of the Church. I know she's an elect lady of God, and will be at Joseph's side in heaven.

Yeah maybe, but if you think that Joseph is in the Celestial Kingdom and that you kinda gots to be Mormon to go to the Celestial Kingdom, Emma wouldn't qualify.