WOW Facts and more, found in personal research...

Guest AutumnBreez

Guest AutumnBreez

Word of Wisdom -Commandments given to us by Heavenly Father for our well being are great!!

Contents contain more than a farm boy in the 1800's could have possibly known.

Coffee, tea, and cigarettes contain more than taste,addictive drugs, and social gatherings, but toxic metal Cadmium. Plus more info:

TOXIC METAL SYNDRONE: HOW METAL POISONINGS CAN AFFECT YOUR BRAIN

Coffee and Tea

Cadmium - Elson M. Haas M.D. - HealthWorld Online

I do like the Word of Wisdom suggestions...they also were very practical at the time they were issued..ie. only using meat sparingly, eg. in the winter time when it could be cooled more, I have had to reduce my tea/coffee intake over the last year or so because the caffeine was making my heart race, I do have Atrial Fibrilation which is the main cause of it, but the caffeine and alcohol in my drinks were adding to it.

Word of Wisdom -Commandments given to us by Heavenly Father for our well being are great!!

Contents contain more than a farm boy in the 1800's could have possibly known.

Coffee, tea, and cigarettes contain more than taste,addictive drugs, and social gatherings, but toxic metal Cadmium. Plus more info:

TOXIC METAL SYNDRONE: HOW METAL POISONINGS CAN AFFECT YOUR BRAIN

Coffee and Tea

Cadmium - Elson M. Haas M.D. - HealthWorld Online

Just as in all things, nothing is ever as obvious as it seems. Here are a few other things your attachments showed:

Coffee decreases thyroid cancer rate

Coffee consumption increases lifespan

Magnanese in tea and coffee (in New Zealand)

Drinking tea is associated with higher bone mineral density in women even though high caffeine consumption is associated with osteoporosis

These all came from the "Coffee and Tea" attachment.

Re: "Toxic Metals Syndrome," there is no scientific, medical research indicating this is a legitimate syndrome. I am not saying it is not; however, I would never take any information off the internet about it. Anyone can write a professional looking newsletter, with all the right words, especially those that appeal to those who are desperately ill but don't know why, and place it on the internet.

And those desperately ill people will spend their last dollar to feel better, and thousands of people will take that dollar and hand out a bogus cure.

What I am saying is don't promote "Toxic Metals Syndrome" as a real syndrome until the evidence is in.

The cadmium is a hit, in my opinion.

Elphaba

Although I personally believe that the Word of Wisdom is spot-on in modern scientific studies of health, we must not allow our following it to become a "See, I told you so" approach. I do not follow the Word of Wisdom because it is healthy. I follow because it was revealed through a Prophet of God. If the Prophet said that green peas are forbidden by the Lord, I would stop eating them, regardless of their health benefits. The focus must fall on the process of revelation more than so-called proof.

Guest AutumnBreez

Although I personally believe that the Word of Wisdom is spot-on in modern scientific studies of health, we must not allow our following it to become a "See, I told you so" approach. I do not follow the Word of Wisdom because it is healthy. I follow because it was revealed through a Prophet of God. If the Prophet said that green peas are forbidden by the Lord, I would stop eating them, regardless of their health benefits. The focus must fall on the process of revelation more than so-called proof.

Oh absolutely. Sincerly sorry if I offended anyone, really did not intend to "see, I told you so" . I really am sorry if this is how it was interpretted. :( I will be more careful about what I post now.

Guest AutumnBreez

I just think it is great that we have WOW. Heavenly Father loves us. I love Him and will follow his instruction even if I could not eat green peas ever again. It is more than that....he is asking us to obey him, use discipline within.

Oh absolutely. Sincerly sorry if I offended anyone, really did not intend to "see, I told you so" . I really am sorry if this is how it was interpretted. :( I will be more careful about what I post now.

Autumn,

I owe you an apology. You weren't offensive at all.

I have personally experienced what I wrote about regarding being ill and having people make up "syndromes" to sell products, and I am hyper-sensitive to it. I've learned, over years, to be very cautious about such claims, including the one you linked to. I was trying to be informative, and obviously my own frustration came through as well.

Again, I'm sorry for my curtness.

Elphaba

We probably wouldn't be considered a peculiar people then. We might even be more accepted :o.

I have wondered if the main collective benefit was that of peculiarity. The individual benefits are obvious for not smoking and drinking alcohol to excess.

If more peculiarity is ever needed, the Ministry of Silly Walks is but a footstep away:

Hidden

I wonder how life for us Mormons would have been different if the WoW had remained as a suggestion?

Considering that depression is more prevalent among mormons than non-mormons, I would say that if we were allowed to drink alcohol, we would have some serious abuse issues on our hands.

Guest AutumnBreez

Autumn,

I owe you an apology. You weren't offensive at all.

I have personally experienced what I wrote about regarding being ill and having people make up "syndromes" to sell products, and I am hyper-sensitive to it. I've learned, over years, to be very cautious about such claims, including the one you linked to. I was trying to be informative, and obviously my own frustration came through as well.

Again, I'm sorry for my curtness.

Elphaba

Thanks for your apology, however, I need to be more careful still.

Ahhh....Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks...one of my all time favourite Python sketches, but don't forget the Dead Parrot and I'm A Lumberjack!! :)

Is there any bad Monty Python Sketch? I haven't come across one yet. I'm waiting for the night when I can bring my extended version of "The Holy Grail" out (wife doesn't like Monty Python). It has a whole 25 extra seconds!!!!!:lol:

So getting back to the Silly Walks, if they were to be added, I would suggest a good time would be when people are walking up to the podium to bear their testimonies on Fast Sunday.

:)

Heh heh.....ok I gotta tell you guys this...

A little while back, a lady in our ward decided to do a silly walk when she was leaving the pulpit.

She fell down the two small steps and landed in a heap at the bottom. :eek:

There was a stunned silence from the whole congregation until she stood up red-faced and laughing.

Then everyone cracked up!! :lol:

It took her a while to live it down.

Onyx

AutumnBreeze, I did not find your OP offensive.

On the contrary, I felt your sense of excitement.

I understand the essence of what you were trying to share:

Yes, the WoW was and is so very inspired.

Yes, scientific evidence that was not available at the time of the revelation now provides convincing insight.

Thank you for offering your thoughts.

Most of all thank you for your very touching humility.

Onyx