The Music Scene

Guest Lexish

Hey everyone! Recently as I've grown more spiritual I've realized that a lot of the music I have grown to like is definitely the sort of thing that really brings a person down. Starting today or tomorrow I will start to get rid of my tasteless music, but that will leave me without a lot of the heavier things I listen to, you know, things with a lot of guitar, a lot of drums, et al.

I wanted to know of any classical music with this same sort of feel (Think Mozart's Requiem!) or contemporary bands that aren't light & fluffy, but also lack the unenlightening lyrics.

Thanks a lot, all! I definitely recommend Mozart's Requiem, any sort of organ fugue, and from what I've heard, the band Sister Hazel. Now for your recommendations, please.

Starting today or tomorrow I will start to get rid of my tasteless music

Congrats! I don't know if doing so will be as hard on you as it was for me, but I can certainly testify it is worth it. I got rid of stuff 11 years ago, and then a second round of stuff 2 years ago, and I never really missed any of it, because I had new stuff.

I don't really have anything to suggest though, because I'm told my stuff isn't what most people like.

Ever hear of Hacidic Reggae? :cool:

LM

Requiems generally are excellent music with a heavier feel. Try the requiems of Brahms, Durufle, and Verdi. I don't recommend the Mormon Tabernacle Choir recording of the Brahms Requiem - it's in English, which ruins it for me.

Some might like Orff's Carmina Burana, although the lyrics are somewhat bawdy, but in Latin. I personally find it overly repetitive.

Try Vaughan Williams' Dona Nobis Pacem. That's a beautiful one.

If you're going for really dark, try Pederecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima. His Credo is also very good.

For dark and spooky, you can't beat the serial composers - Schoenberg is the best known. However, Alban Berg's opera Wozzeck (sp?) makes for one of the most frightening listening experiences ever.

If you like these, PM me for more suggestions. I just graduated in music ed, and I've had to listen to a lot.

I don't really have anything to suggest though, because I'm told my stuff isn't what most people like.

Haha, I can relate. I just realized -- oh my goodness! I HAVE heard of him! My Aunt showed me his music two summers ago and I have been trying so hard to remember who he was! :) :) Ahh. Thank you.

Thanks for all your suggestions :) Hope I don't sound like a heretic but Jenny Phillips...oh. I don't even know what to say. I just don't like her music very much. I sang one of her songs for my YW's latest activity, and some other girls sang songs, they just all sound too similar. Sorry, but thanks. Glad y'all like it.

Recently iTunes highlighted the artist Addison Road, they are so far the only Christian Rock band that I particularly like. I'll check out some of the things mrkhmusic suggested, too, thanks. And of course classical, I like it far too much.

Anyway, thanks everyone. My music collection is already sounding nicer. There are some things I don't want to get rid of (Seether!), so I've been finding lyrics trying to decide if they are really so bad. Heh. Oh well.