A Messed Up Doctrine?

Cal

Nephi killed Laban because Laban tried to kill Nephi after Nephi had asked for and tried to buy the plates from Laban’s treasury, and the Lord’s message to Nephi was such that Nephi realized the Lord had delivered Laban into his hands so that he could obtain those plates according to God’s commandments. There might have been some other way that Nephi could have obtained those plates, perhaps by the Lord sending an angel into Laban’s treasury and that angel then delivering them to Nephi, but that was not the way our Lord chose to handle things.

Heh, btw, do you also object to Nephi obtaining the plates from Laban's treasury, considering that to be stealing?

Where oh where does your reasoning come from, and who or what influences your reasoning?

As a pointer, I suggest that you first try to understand that God is the one who gives us the laws that we should live by. Got that? God is our lawgiver.

Secondly, I suggest that you try to understand that God has reasoning to justify the laws God gives us. We may not always understand God’s reasoning, but God does.

And lastly, I suggest that you try to understand that it is only if and when you ever come to understand God’s reasoning that you will realize that God’s reasoning is just.

Btw, my understanding of the different reasons to support or condemn killing people comes from my understanding of God’s reasoning as revealed through the scriptures and personal revelation. Hence, I am not trying to make up my own doctrine, I’m trying to understand and share my understanding of His doctrine.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Starsky

Why wouldn't God condone killing? Why would it be considered a contradiction to kill a murderer like Laban?

Is killing and murder the same thing?

I know that killing can be murder, but it can also be self-defense... and destroying the murderer, himself, would for future reference...keep him from killing anymore....

In addition to Starsky's words:

At the time that Nephi beheaded Laban the Law of Moses was in effect. If Laban was indeed a murderous person, then he was only recieving the punishment that God had called for. So, to look at it that way, there was no contradition.

Originally posted by Starsky@Jun 13 2004, 03:16 PM

I know that killing can be murder, but it can also be self-defense... and destroying the murderer, himself, would for future reference...keep him from killing anymore....

So, is that why you "killed" Peace?

Wait a minute, you say God never forced anyone to go to heaven?  Not according to mormon scripture; kids who die AUTOMATICALLY go to heaven. Sound pretty cut and dry.

Everyone except the tiny number who become sons of perdition will go to heaven.

Guest Chell
Originally posted by Rodney+Jun 13 2004, 11:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rodney @ Jun 13 2004, 11:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Chell@Jun 12 2004, 10:47 PM

I know that because I am spiritually informed.:D

Really? :o

Yes. Do you have a problem with that Rodney?

Originally posted by Chell+Jun 14 2004, 11:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chell @ Jun 14 2004, 11:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Rodney@Jun 13 2004, 11:48 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Chell@Jun 12 2004, 10:47 PM

Me? Problem? Of course not.

You? Spiritually informed? Isn't that spayshul?

Guest Ruthie-chan

Originally posted by M.P.S.@Jun 13 2004, 05:34 PM

At the time that Nephi beheaded Laban the Law of Moses was in effect. If Laban was indeed a murderous person, then he was only recieving the punishment that God had called for. So, to look at it that way, there was no contradition.

Give the man (woman?) a COOKIE!

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by Rodney+Jun 14 2004, 01:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rodney @ Jun 14 2004, 01:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Chell@Jun 14 2004, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by -Rodney@Jun 13 2004, 11:48 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Chell@Jun 12 2004, 10:47 PM

Me? Problem? Of course not.

You? Spiritually informed? Isn't that spayshul?

Being your clever self Rodney, I couldn't guess whether you wanted me to take your corrupted form of 'special', i.e. spayshul....literally or not....but here is what you said if you meant itliterally....and not as a corrupted form of special.....

spay/shul

spay ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sp)

tr.v. spayed, spay·ing, spays

To remove surgically the ovaries of (an animal).

shul ( P ) Pronunciation Key (shl, shl)

n. Judaism

A synagogue.

A synagogue with it's ovaries removed...ROFL! :lol:

Not according to mormon doctrine, friend.

Well since mormon doctrine allows you to play God, I see why mormonism is so luring to many. It's a nice fantasy. At times I wish I could play God, but don't have a religion that conforms to what I'd like reality to be.

Originally posted by M.P.S.@Jun 13 2004, 04:34 PM

Who says God called for it? A guy no one can prove even existed?

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Cal+Jun 17 2004, 12:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cal @ Jun 17 2004, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--M.P.S.@Jun 13 2004, 04:34 PM

Who says God called for it? A guy no one can prove even existed?

Then why worry about it Cal?

Guest Starsky

Brother.....yes Brother Snow and Brother TR....you are brothers....treat each other with the same respect you would expect your children to treat each other.... :) okayeeeeeeeeee?