Some questions for Mormons

xanmad33

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a question. Does it bother you at all that throughout Christian churches there is such a wide variety of opinion and practice with regards to baptism? How does one, from your point of view, come to a determination about which one of the Christian churches has this one right? Is there something special about your particular church and is that why you chose it?

And just for the record, your ideas about baptism really sound very close to the LDS view.

yes he sure does ;)

It is clear from Scripture that believers even have the privilege to baptize; it was not limited to clergy or church leaders only...

Could you tell me which scriptures. I do not ask it for proof, but I want to see what shaped your understanding. Because ours is different.

This is what separates us from other churches(not completely). We believe that only men with authority given from God, can perform ordinances such as Baptism by water and fire(Holy Ghost). Given by laying on of hands by those who already have authority.

Here is a question. Does it bother you at all that throughout Christian churches there is such a wide variety of opinion and practice with regards to baptism? How does one, from your point of view, come to a determination about which one of the Christian churches has this one right? Is there something special about your particular church and is that why you chose it?

And just for the record, your ideas about baptism really sound very close to the LDS view.

No it doesn't, because our salvation is not dependant on it.

The only things that bother me are things in which I feel are contingint on ones eternal salvation, and so I'm really never bothered ;)...the rest is still important but not so much in the grand scheme of things kwim? We all agree on the essential parts and thats all that matters to me... IMHO the difference in opinion or certain practices are more of a tool the enemy uses to divide us.

Of course I believe my church is special ;)

But my personal relationship with God is always number one, no matter what church I happen to attend.

The only things that bother me are things in which I feel are contingint on ones eternal salvation, and so I'm really never bothered ;)...the rest is still important but not so much in the grand scheme of things kwim? We all agree on the essential parts and thats all that matters to me... IMHO the difference in opinion or certain practices are more of a tool the enemy uses to divide us.

But my personal relationship with God is always number one, no matter what church I happen to attend.

Wow. Thank you for answering. I have asked that question many times and haven't really gotten an answer. Good to understand you better. I hope you will forgive me one more question. When you first started posting, I got the impression that Biblical accuracy was important to you. It seems to me that people within the protestant community allow each other private interpretation just as long as they confess Christ and believe in the bible. Is that right? So, it would be ok for one church to believe baptism was essential and another church to believe that it wasn't. Is that correct? Or if one does believe it, do they then look at the one who doesn't as heretical? Or would that kind of difference be tolerated because coming together on all the details of doctrine are not important? I guess it is confusing for me to determine, from the protestant point of view, what are the essential components to salvation, if baptism and the holy ghost are not part of that list? And if it were not essential, what was Christ's purpose in doing it? I am not trying to argue, I assure you. I am just trying to understand better when one needs to be particular about the bible and when one doesn't.

Could you tell me which scriptures. I do not ask it for proof, but I want to see what shaped your understanding. Because ours is different.

This is what separates us from other churches(not completely). We believe that only men with authority given from God, can perform ordinances such as Baptism by water and fire(Holy Ghost). Given by laying on of hands by those who already have authority.

In Matthew 28, Jesus commanded believers to baptize new believers in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. So, as long as you are a believer in Jesus (a born-again Christian) you can baptize another believer

Baptism is for confession of sins, repentance and forgiveness of sins: Matthew 3:5-6, 11; Mark 1:4-5; Luke 3:3; Acts 2:38; Acts 13:24; Acts 22:16

We are baptized from our old selves into a new person: Romans 6:2-4; Colossians 2:12

Baptism (believe and be saved): Mark 16:16; 1 Peter 3:21

Baptism is for those who believe and receive the Good News: Acts 2:41; Acts 8:12-13; Acts 8:37*; Acts 16:14; Acts 16:32-33; Acts 18:18; Acts 19:3-5

People who baptized others: John the Baptist, Jesus' disciples, and Philip. NOTE: Jesus never baptized anyone.

Since the command to the disciples was to "make disciples, baptizing them..." with no further qualification ever mentioned, one must say, according to scripture, that ANY believer CAN perform the baptism.

There are no restrictions to who, where or when in the Bible except for saying that the one who believes and tells the Good News should baptize those who accept it and believe it for repentance and forgiveness of sins.

There doesn't have to be many witnesses (Acts 8), and there's no time limit (Acts 2:41; Acts 16:25-33). You don't have to come to full knowledge of the truth (Luke 7:29) or else we'd never get baptized since we're constantly learning and growing with Christ (Ephesians 4:15; 2 Peter 3:18).

You are gonna have to forgive me. I must be on one today. Again, I am simply trying to understand you ..... and perhaps others as well. I am getting from this last line that going to a particular church is not important to salvation. Is that right? But that attending some churches could put your salvation in jepardy. Is that right? Where do you draw that line? Kinda feels like a club. Some churches are in.... some are out.

In Matthew 28, Jesus commanded believers to baptize new believers in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. So, as long as you are a believer in Jesus (a born-again Christian) you can baptize another believer

Baptism is for confession of sins, repentance and forgiveness of sins: Matthew 3:5-6, 11; Mark 1:4-5; Luke 3:3; Acts 2:38; Acts 13:24; Acts 22:16

We are baptized from our old selves into a new person: Romans 6:2-4; Colossians 2:12

Baptism (believe and be saved): Mark 16:16; 1 Peter 3:21

Baptism is for those who believe and receive the Good News: Acts 2:41; Acts 8:12-13; Acts 8:37*; Acts 16:14; Acts 16:32-33; Acts 18:18; Acts 19:3-5

People who baptized others: John the Baptist, Jesus' disciples, and Philip. NOTE: Jesus never baptized anyone.

Since the command to the disciples was to "make disciples, baptizing them..." with no further qualification ever mentioned, one must say, according to scripture, that ANY believer CAN perform the baptism.

There are no restrictions to who, where or when in the Bible except for saying that the one who believes and tells the Good News should baptize those who accept it and believe it for repentance and forgiveness of sins.

There doesn't have to be many witnesses (Acts 8), and there's no time limit (Acts 2:41; Acts 16:25-33). You don't have to come to full knowledge of the truth (Luke 7:29) or else we'd never get baptized since we're constantly learning and growing with Christ (Ephesians 4:15; 2 Peter 3:18).

Matthew 28, I read as the disciples or apostles to Jesus. The ones of whom he gave authority to.

I agree that the purpose is to confess and repent and receive forgiveness.

We become a new person when we have changed our lives through repentance. Baptism seals the confession and repentance and forgiveness is one of the blessings of baptism.

Yes baptism is for the believers who receive the good news, because the believers are the ones with faith. So if they believe, then they are want to baptized, because that is part of the good news.

We don't have any recorded baptism by Jesus, but neither do we have one of Him being married either. It may not have been recorded for reasons that the Lord knows.

I don't see "make disciples, baptizing them." Disciples are followers of Christ. Apostles are disciples and are the ones referred to as the 11 disciples or twelve disciples, depending. However, disciples are not always Apostles, of whom have the authority.

There must be two witnesses at least, for a baptism. I couldn't find where it talks about time in Acts 2:41. Your're right about the full knowledge of the truth. No one has a FULL knowledge of the truth.(referring to men)

Wow. Thank you for answering. I have asked that question many times and haven't really gotten an answer.

I promise I was not avoiding your question ;) there's just been so much, i mean were on page 18! :)

Good to understand you better. I hope you will forgive me one more question. When you first started posting, I got the impression that Biblical accuracy was important to you.

It seems to me that people within the protestant community allow each other private interpretation just as long as they confess Christ and believe in the bible. Is that right? So, it would be ok for one church to believe baptism was essential and another church to believe that it wasn't. Is that correct? Or if one does believe it, do they then look at the one who doesn't as heretical? Or would that kind of difference be tolerated because coming together on all the details of doctrine are not important? I guess it is confusing for me to determine, from the protestant point of view, what are the essential components to salvation, if baptism and the holy ghost are not part of that list? And if it were not essential, what was Christ's purpose in doing it? I am not trying to argue, I assure you. I am just trying to understand better when one needs to be particular about the bible and when one doesn't.

Details that deal with form, style, practice and procedure are insignificant….those are things like worship styles, baptismal methods, dress-code for church, and so on (and on, and on….). These details don't bother me because I know they are not matters of life and death. There are far too many well-meaning Christians who get caught up in those kinds of details, and yes, I do believe the devil uses those things to crowd our minds and hearts and snuff out the more meaningful stuff.

And then there are the details that really matter….what our “salvation” truly does hang on: our belief and acceptance of the person and work of Jesus Christ. I believe three things matter, and only three: (1) who is Jesus?; (2) what has He done?; and (3) why? The truth of these three “details” are what Satan tries to draw our attention and understanding away from. I will be honest and say, as per my beliefs, which are based solely on God’s revealed Word (both written and incarnate), that I believe in order to be “saved” one must recognize the deity of Christ and accept: their sin and need for a Savior; that Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God, is our only Savior; and that He died, was resurrected, and is alive today.

I believe that the true identity of Christ directly impacts what He did and why (basically, that only God can save us and restore us to a perfect relationship with Him)…

What we’re all about, what we were created for in the first place, is our relationship with God. If we do not know who God is….if we place our faith in our own ideal interpretation of God, rather than His true self….then we’ve missed it completely. We cannot have a relationship with an unknowable God. But the true God is all about relationship, and He wants to be known…intimately. He lovingly invites, or rather pursues, every single one of us.

With regard to your questions about baptism, even though numerous Scriptures speak of the importance of water baptism, adding anything to the work of the cross demeans the sacrifice of the Savior. It implies that His finished work wasn't enough. But the Bible makes clear that we are saved by grace, and grace alone,

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

—Ephesians 2:8-9

Baptism is simply a step of obedience to the Lord following our repentance and confession of sin. Our obedience--water baptism, prayer, good works, fellowship, witnessing, etc.--issues from our faith in Christ. Salvation is not what we do, but Who we have

Yes baptism is for the believers who receive the good news, because the believers are the ones with faith. So if they believe, then they are want to baptized, because that is part of the good news.

It is also like you mentioned in Acts 8:37. Belief is ultimately a qualificaation. I happened to also notice thatyour examples showed those who believed were also baptized.

You are gonna have to forgive me. I must be on one today. Again, I am simply trying to understand you ..... and perhaps others as well. I am getting from this last line that going to a particular church is not important to salvation. Is that right? But that attending some churches could put your salvation in jepardy. Is that right? Where do you draw that line? Kinda feels like a club. Some churches are in.... some are out.

Salvation is not contingint on a church...I dont believe my salvation would be in jepardy because of a church I attended

Real quick before I have to go, I agree with that last pargraph except the last sentence. The Salvation is not what we do but who we have. Could you elaborate? thanks

Sorry I didn't read the rest of that post but that caught my eye. I have to go, but I'll be back in a couple of hours. It was fun talking.

He that has the Son has life; and he that has not the Son of God has not life.

—1 John 5:12

It is also like you mentioned in Acts 8:37. Belief is ultimately a qualificaation. I happened to also notice thatyour examples showed those who believed were also baptized.

Jesus did not say that 'whoever believes but is not baptized shall not be save.' If baptism were necessary for salvation, there are many many significant verses which should be amended to read 'you are saved through faith and baptism.' However it is clear in the Bible that faith in Jesus Christ is what saves a person (Acts 16:30-31; Eph. 2:8-9).

Baptism is a distinct act of obedience, apart from salvation. Baptism with the Spirit places believers into the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:13), while water baptism merely signifies to others that a person has professed Christ.

I promise I was not avoiding your question ;) there's just been so much, i mean were on page 18! :)

Details that deal with form, style, practice and procedure are insignificant….those are things like worship styles, baptismal methods, dress-code for church, and so on (and on, and on….). These details don't bother me because I know they are not matters of life and death. There are far too many well-meaning Christians who get caught up in those kinds of details, and yes, I do believe the devil uses those things to crowd our minds and hearts and snuff out the more meaningful stuff.

And then there are the details that really matter….what our “salvation” truly does hang on: our belief and acceptance of the person and work of Jesus Christ. I believe three things matter, and only three: (1) who is Jesus?; (2) what has He done?; and (3) why? The truth of these three “details” are what Satan tries to draw our attention and understanding away from. I will be honest and say, as per my beliefs, which are based solely on God’s revealed Word (both written and incarnate), that I believe in order to be “saved” one must recognize the deity of Christ and accept: their sin and need for a Savior; that Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God, is our only Savior; and that He died, was resurrected, and is alive today.

I believe that the true identity of Christ directly impacts what He did and why (basically, that only God can save us and restore us to a perfect relationship with Him)…

What we’re all about, what we were created for in the first place, is our relationship with God. If we do not know who God is….if we place our faith in our own ideal interpretation of God, rather than His true self….then we’ve missed it completely. We cannot have a relationship with an unknowable God. But the true God is all about relationship, and He wants to be known…intimately. He lovingly invites, or rather pursues, every single one of us.

With regard to your questions about baptism, even though numerous Scriptures speak of the importance of water baptism, adding anything to the work of the cross demeans the sacrifice of the Savior. It implies that His finished work wasn't enough. But the Bible makes clear that we are saved by grace, and grace alone,

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Baptism is simply a step of obedience to the Lord following our repentance and confession of sin. Our obedience--water baptism, prayer, good works, fellowship, witnessing, etc.--issues from our faith in Christ. Salvation is not what we do, but Who we have

Oh! Didn't mean to put you on the spot. I actually meant that I had asked that question of other protestants and haven't really gotten a straight answer. Sorry. :)

I love that you understand so well what you believe. I can feel your love for it and how much it means to you. I was particularly touched by the part where you didn't want to take anything away from the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I think I understand the concept of grace differently. But I feel the same reverence with regards to the Saviors sacrifice and ultimate gift. I understand too what you are saying with regards to 'what we do vs. who we have.'

I wonder in my heart, why then isn't the LDS church given more acceptance in the Christian community? If I believe and confess Christ. If I feel the change of conversion and nature inside of me. If I desire forgiveness for my sins and want to take up my cross and follow the Lord and I believe the Bible to be the word of God, then why don't I (being LDS) fit into your above description about what is important for salvation. Why don't our differences fall into the 'things that don't matter for salvation' box? So much so that we inspire 18 pages worth of dialogue only to find out that all that evidence and banter back and forth doesn't really matter for salvation. Forgive my confusion. But I find myself wondering why you would go to such an effort. At the end of the day, I see the differences between your beliefs and mine. But the essentials you listed are all that one needs, then wouldn't I be saved? Maybe you think I would be. Just realized I am making an assumption.

I wonder in my heart, why then isn't the LDS church given more acceptance in the Christian community? If I believe and confess Christ. If I feel the change of conversion and nature inside of me. If I desire forgiveness for my sins and want to take up my cross and follow the Lord and I believe the Bible to be the word of God, then why don't I (being LDS) fit into your above description about what is important for salvation. Why don't our differences fall into the 'things that don't matter for salvation' box? So much so that we inspire 18 pages worth of dialogue only to find out that all that evidence and banter back and forth doesn't really matter for salvation. Forgive my confusion. But I find myself wondering why you would go to such an effort. At the end of the day, I see the differences between your beliefs and mine. But the essentials you listed are all that one needs, then wouldn't I be saved? Maybe you think I would be. Just realized I am making an assumption.

I know no mans heart, and I don't condemn people by telling them they arent going to heaven. I'm not God and only he knows your heart, I can only tell you what his word says and that in it, our basic beliefs about the nature of God and who Jesus was are in direct conflict (which I have laid out in earlier posts.)

Like I said from the beginning, one of my best friends is Mormon :)

and I love him dearly...

Mormons share with Christians some important moral precepts from the Bible. However, I have already pointed out many fundamental and irreconcilable differences between historic, biblical Christianity and Mormonism. While these differences do not keep us from loving one another, we do not consider mormons to be brothers and sisters in Christ. The Bible specifically warns of false prophets who will teach "another gospel" centered around "another Jesus," and witnessed to by "another spirit" (2 Corinthians 11:4,13-15; Galatians 1:6-9).

If someone claimed to be a Mormon but denied all the basic tenets of Mormonism — that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, that the Book of Mormon is true and divinely inspired, that god was once a man who progressed to godhood through keeping the laws and ordinances of the Mormon Church, and that the Mormon Church was divinely established —then the Mormon Church would reject that person’s claim to being a Latter-day Saint. One cannot fairly call oneself a Mormon if one does not believe the fundamental doctrines taught by the Mormon Church.

By the same token, if the Mormon Church does not hold to even the basic biblical truths believed by the greater Christian community down through the ages, how can Christians reasonably be expected to accept Mormonism as authentic Christianity?

The differences are we do not believe Jesus was FIRST A MAN, we believe he was always God. We worship God alone. We also don't believe the trinity is three distinct gods.

There are soo mnay questions that have been asked here of me , FORGIVE me if yours was overlooked...

Trinitarianism is completely non-biblical. That is why I reject the false idea. It is not scriptural at all. And, Mormons do NOT believe Jesus was 'FIRST A MAN'. You still forgot to answer my questions:

I'll reprint them for you:

Jesus of Nazareth is the Alpha and Omega. Jesus is the beginning and the end, He is all powerful and all knowing. As is mentioned in Psalm 139, the presence of His spirit cannot be escaped, and in Isaiah 40 'there is no searching of His understanding.' He has indeed always existed as God.

Was he not once as we are now? Was He not born on the earth in the same manner whereby we have been? Did he not receive a body of flesh and bone through the vessel of the Virgin? Did He not endure childhood and manhood? Did He not physically die? Did He not physically rise from the grave? Did He not show the prints of the nails in His hands and in His feet to His disciples and did they not feel them? Did He not say to them: 'Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.'? (Luke 24:39) Did He not ascend into heaven having been received into the clouds accompanied by angels? Did He not partake of exaltation? Did He not so rise to sit enthroned in yonder heavens?

-a-train

You leave a lot of your beliefs out of that ;)

I have demonstrated earlier our different beliefs about Jesus, again...

LDS: He is literally our elder brother, born to Heavenly Parents in the Pre-existence. Jesus, Lucifer, angels and humans are all the same species and are brothers and sisters.

Gospel Principles, p. 11, 17, 18

Every person who was ever born on earth was our spirit brother or sister in heaven. The first spirit born to our heavenly parents was Jesus Christ...so he is literally our elder brother.... We needed a Savior to pay for our sins and teach us how to return to our Heavenly Father. Our Father said, "Whom shall I send?" ... Two of our brothers offered to help. Our oldest brother, Jesus Christ, who was then called Jehovah, said "Here am I, send me".... Satan, who was called Lucifer, also came, saying, "Behold, here am I, send me." ... After hearing both sons speak, Heavenly Father said, "I will send the first." ... Because our Heavenly Father chose Jesus Christ to be our Savior, Satan became angry and rebelled.

BIBLE: Jesus is fully God, not a subordinate deity. He eternally exists as God and is our creator.

Isaiah 9:6

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

John 8:58

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

1 Timothy 3:16

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Hebrews 13:8

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

John 1:1-4, 14

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. ... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Colossians 1:16-17

For by him [Christ] were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Jesus did not say that 'whoever believes but is not baptized shall not be save.' If baptism were necessary for salvation, there are many many significant verses which should be amended to read 'you are saved through faith and baptism.' However it is clear in the Bible that faith in Jesus Christ is what saves a person (Acts 16:30-31; Eph. 2:8-9).

Baptism is a distinct act of obedience, apart from salvation. Baptism with the Spirit places believers into the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:13), while water baptism merely signifies to others that a person has professed Christ.

Jesus said: "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." And also: " Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. "

Do you believe these statements are talking about baptism?

If so, do you believe salvation includes the kingdom of God?

You leave a lot of your beliefs out of that ;)

I have demonstrated earlier our different beliefs about Jesus, again...

Hmm.. I was unable to find any answers to my questions. Could you be more specific?

Jesus of Nazareth is the Alpha and Omega. Jesus is the beginning and the end, He is all powerful and all knowing. As is mentioned in Psalm 139, the presence of His spirit cannot be escaped, and in Isaiah 40 'there is no searching of His understanding.' He has indeed always existed as God.

Was he not once as we are now?

Was He not born on the earth in the same manner whereby we have been?

Did he not receive a body of flesh and bone through the vessel of the Virgin?

Did He not endure childhood and manhood?

Did He not physically die?

Did He not physically rise from the grave?

Did He not show the prints of the nails in His hands and in His feet to His disciples and did they not feel them?

Did He not say to them: 'Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.'? (Luke 24:39)

Did He not ascend into heaven having been received into the clouds accompanied by angels?

Did He not partake of exaltation?

Did He not so rise to sit enthroned in yonder heavens?

-a-train

I know no mans heart, and I don't condemn people by telling them they arent going to heaven. I'm not God and only he knows your heart, I can only tell you what his word says and that in it, our basic beliefs about the nature of God and who Jesus was are in direct conflict (which I have laid out in earlier posts.)

Like I said from the beginning, one of my best friends is Mormon :)

and I love him dearly...

Mormons share with Christians some important moral precepts from the Bible. However, I have already pointed out many fundamental and irreconcilable differences between historic, biblical Christianity and Mormonism. While these differences do not keep us from loving one another, we do not consider mormons to be brothers and sisters in Christ. The Bible specifically warns of false prophets who will teach "another gospel" centered around "another Jesus," and witnessed to by "another spirit" (2 Corinthians 11:4,13-15; Galatians 1:6-9).

If someone claimed to be a Mormon but denied all the basic tenets of Mormonism — that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, that the Book of Mormon is true and divinely inspired, that god was once a man who progressed to godhood through keeping the laws and ordinances of the Mormon Church, and that the Mormon Church was divinely established —then the Mormon Church would reject that person’s claim to being a Latter-day Saint. One cannot fairly call oneself a Mormon if one does not believe the fundamental doctrines taught by the Mormon Church.

By the same token, if the Mormon Church does not hold to even the basic biblical truths believed by the greater Christian community down through the ages, how can Christians reasonably be expected to accept Mormonism as authentic Christianity?

I understand all to well the irreconcilable differences. I don't ask as if they don't exist. I ask because in all my understanding of the Christian world, I can't find continuity. I don't see an unchanged original Christian church in existence today. And as much as I respect your views and your interpretations and the interpretations of all these denominations, for the life of me, I can't see consistency among all the groups. So, it confuses me that so many differences exist....even the very definition of God is different. So how does one determine who the false prophets are by appealing to the bible when Christianity itself can't seem to answer all the questions definitively. If there are false prophets, there must be true ones. Who are yours? God started out called prophets and giving them revelation. I don't see why he would stop. So, for me, when you say LDS people don't follow anything that looks like the original church, I feel very confused because at least on a few points, we baptize, have twelve apostles, Melch. and Aaronic priesthood, etc. I can list more. I understand you don't agree. That is not my point. My point is that you claim to have the total truth, and that we have none of it. Yet, you can't show me how your beliefs align completely with the bible either. Baptism is just the first example. When I read the same verses you have shared, I come away with a much different understanding of grace and works and requirements for salvation. If anyone has a claim to the authentic Christian church it is the Catholics. The rest of Christianity seems to have found fault with that establishment and splintered off from there. When you say authentic Christianity, I can't see it. If it isn't out there, then the mormons have a pretty strong position. Either the church stayed pure in its original form (no reformations, or break offs), or it needed to be restored, or it doesn't exist anymore. No other option makes sense to me.