Has Anybody Here Seen My Old Friend Martin?

Snow

Last night I saw a program on PBS about Martin Luther. BTW, last week they had one on the Mormon Battalion.

Admittedly I don't know much about Martin Luther but what little I know makes me a big fan. What an interesting guy. He had an amazing amount of courage and persistence. He is certainly one worth learning more about. Viking and Penguin Lives put out a series of biographies on important historical figures. They commission noted historians to write them. I have one on Joseph Smith by Robert Remini. There is one on Martin Luther that must be worth picking up.

One thing I was struct by was the amount of hate that filled Martin Luther. I had heard about his nasty temper towards those who disagreed with him when I heard a lecture about the written debates between Sir Thomas Moore and William Tynsdale (two more guys worth learning about. Did you know that about 65% plus of the KJV is taken straight from the Tynsdale translation - a translation he did solo compared to the huge KJV team of scholars - apparently all the great pithy statements and figures of speech we know from the Bible come from Tyndales) Anyway, between the three of them, their cursing could put any sailor or longshoreman to shame.

Anyway, hate is a powerful engine, perhaps that is what drove Luther so persistently. You know how many Protestant (usually evangelicals) hypocrits lambast the Church because Joseph called the apostate churches the Great and Abominable? Luther, the father of Protestantism, believed that and called the Pope the antiChrist in the employ of Satan and peasants were nothing more than agents of the devil.... and Martin was charitable compared to John Calvin.

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Jun 20 2004, 06:50 PM

Funny, but just yesterday I picked up a book on Luther from Tan publishers. I'll let you know if it's any good.

I found the book I was looking for - only $12.50 at a used bookstore, and better than that, these Penguin Lives biographies from Viking are only about 200 pages, and the pages aren't even that big.

Apparently for all the material written about the extraordinarily influencial Luther, there are only a small hand full of biographies available in English. What is the name of the one you got?

Hi,

I'm Snow and I am a biblioholic.

I am out of control and can't stop. I have already bought two books this week - the Martin Luther book and then a biography of an escapee from the tv ministy - Assemblies of God... tell me why are all these fallen sex fiend, money swindling tv evangelists from the Penecostal movement?

...and anyway I got a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble for Father's Day so I go to browse - I had my eye on a new printing of Mallory's original Le Mort de Arthur, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, a book on Opus Dei and Karen Armstrong's the History of God (the hardcover on sale for $10, while the soft copy is $15) but I could remember if I already had it.... and then I saw The Reformation by McCullough and started salivating - salivating like John Travolta thinking about L. Ron Hubbard... and so I couldn't decide what to get since I didn't have enought gift certificate dough for the Reformation book - then I come on and look on my shelf and realize that i just bought it two weeks ago with my Birthday gift certificate.

When will it end. Four years ago and I wasn't even interested in religion.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Snow@Jun 25 2004, 09:01 PM

When will it end. Four years ago and I wasn't even interested in religion.

Snow. It's clear to me. You're having a midlife crisis. I think religious reading is a healthy outlet. It's better than buying an expensive sportscar, getting a toupee or having an affair!

"Apparently for all the material written about the extraordinarily influencial Luther, there are only a small hand full of biographies available in English. What is the name of the one you got?" (Snow)

"The Facts About Luther" by Msgr. Patrick F. O'Hare

It's supposed to be an expose' on the real, unlikeable, Martin Luther. I haven't gotten to it yet, (my wife's got me reading this dang Dr. Phil book "Self Matters," but if it will help keep the ol'e marriage together, what the heck.) but I will asap.

aha, an expose'. I like the polemical stuff too. Course you gotta take the spin with a grain of sodium.

If Luther were alive today and held the same hateful beliefs against the poor, the Pope and the Jews, he would be completely marginalized.

Originally posted by curvette@Jun 26 2004, 09:41 AM

Snow. It's clear to me. You're having a midlife crisis. I think religious reading is a healthy outlet. It's better than buying an expensive sportscar, getting a toupee or having an affair!

Toupee???

Ha! I have enough hair for 7 strong men and women. I have hair enough to feed and clothe the nations.

Why just last year Trident said to me: "Snow, Snow, let down your golden hair that I might shower myself in it's luxuriant tresses."

I had to reply: "Geeze dude, get a girlfriend, you're kreeping me ought."

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Snow@Jun 26 2004, 06:12 PM

I have hair enough to feed and clothe the nations.

Well then, get off your hairy butt and do it!

Originally posted by curvette+Jun 27 2004, 01:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Jun 27 2004, 01:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Snow@Jun 26 2004, 06:12 PM

I have hair enough to feed and clothe the nations.

Well then, get off your hairy butt and do it!

please..some of perusing this board are still nauesated!! lol

So I got the book I was looking for last week and have been reading it... The most interesting parts of course concern Luther's struggles with his understanding of God, the development of his interpretation of thelogy, his battles with the papacy, etc...

...but all that requires way to much effort to put into a pithy little post, so I offer you little tidbits instead; like this:

Years after writing his 95 theses and advocating the wrongitude of priestly vows of chastidy - if the vows were taken in order to get right with God (and of course Martin opposed the lawless clergy who went whoring and kept concubines), Martin himself decided to take a wife. Luther had helped engineer the escape of 11 nuns from a convent and from their number selected Katherine von Bora, and she him. In June (of 1525 I think) Luther wed.

This is the part where it gets odd.

On June 13 there was a betrothal ceremony. Then Martin and Mrs Luther get themselves upstairs to consummate the betrothal bond. Friend Justus Jonas drew duty of go with them and observe the copulation - as was the culture - do ensure that consummation had been achieved.

Then on June 27th they went to church for the church blessing and marriage feast.

Luther was far from shy when talking openly of marital intimacies. He even treated sex instrumentally and connected conjugal activity with efforts of overcome the seven deadly sins.

...I know that on my honeymoon, one of the last things on my mind was to invite my buddies into the bedroom for a show. Different times, different ideas I suppose.